Any update in the making?

Seems there is a new version now, I wonder if the noise is gone.
They seem to have implemented some of the things suggested in this thread, which is really cool :slight_smile: Thank you, Steinberg :slight_smile:

But USB eLicenser? Really?

Trying the v2 demo, very very good :slight_smile:

Strange. As I increase amp env vel sensitivity in mono mode with trigger mode set to resume, there is an increasingly loud blip sound, regardless of attack time. When amp env vel sensitivity is set to zero, there is no blip at all.

When you select the Upgrade option on the Buy page the “Additional USB E-Licenser Required” part goes away.

So can anyone please clarify. If you upgrade from Retrologue version 1 to version 2 can you keep using the soft e-licenser or do you have to purchase a hardware USB dongle ?

It appears that if you buy Retrologue version 2 new a USB dongle is required. Check the Buy page to see what I mean when selecting the new/upgrade options.

Hi all,

The specs on the shop page had to be corrected. Retrologue 2 is as the first version protected by the soft eLicenser. No USB dongle is needed.

Thanks for clarifying.

Thank you for clarifying that Matthias. I have the soft e-licenser and Retrologue version1 installed on this computer which is my old studio computer. Would I be able to install the soft e-licenser and Retrologue version 2 upgrade on my new studio computer without an issue ?

The upgrade requires the Retrologue 1 licence installed in the eLicenser Center on your new system since the license will be replaced.

There is a thread on KVR where some users describe certain issues regarding the user interface (waveform selection) and also the sound (weak, lacks bottom, strange saw waveform)…

Ok thanks. Sorry to be thick. So I would install the elicenser on my new system, then install Retrologue version 1 then install the upgrade to version 2 ? Is that correct ? Will I have to deactivate my version 1 license at the “My Steinberg” page first ?

They should check the manual about Filter KeyCenter and Keyfollow settings…

Does it have a scalable user interface by now? Last time I checked it was rather small on a big monitor, and the graphics quality was mediocre.

There might be few little issues:

1. When changing the osc mode, like from single to multi, the waveform sometimes gets changed, for instance from saw to sine

2. Even with free-running operators, there is quite some attack bump in multi mode; I am not sure it is deliberate or a bug, though; either way, on another message board several people complained about it

3. Sometimes the value readouts disappear; what seems to fix that is switching to another plugin’s gui and then back to Retrologue 2

4. I don’t know why the tube distortion effect is selected on most patches including the init patch even; I noticed aliasing on high notes because of that effect; interestingly, the aliasing is gone when selecting off in the distortion menu; it seems that the distortion amount knob is not 100% effective because even when turning it to zero, merely having the tube effect selected causes aliasing and generally an inferior sound quality

5. When one has set the release to a very high value and hits a key, one can’t kill that note by turning down the release, unlike on most other synths; the note has to fade by itself, which can feel like an eternity;

6. A few controls hardly react to the mouse wheel, the cutoff for instance, which means a whole lot of scrolling; Waves have done a great job on their Element 2, where the speed of the scroll wheel determines the increase in value in a very user-friendly way

1 Like

It would also be nice if the computer’s up and down arrow keys worked in Retrologue’s drop-down browser. While the arrow keys do lead to the next or previous preset, it is not loaded, unfortunately.

It sounds to me as if the Resume trigger mode only works when hitting the same key 5 or more times. The first 4 times it sounds like the Normal mode.

With the VST 2 version, the right border is cut away, i.e. the wooden panel. Instead there is a thick black vertical column.
The VST 3 version looks fine, though.
I use Reaper.

Just noticed that the black bar is actually a scrollbar, seems that the VST2 reports slightly different size data to Reaper, so the Reaper plugin window is a bit too small.

Anyway, I think it would have been better to leave the resonator section out, it is kind of useless and inappropriate for a classic analog synth. Would have been better to use that GUI space to make two separate panels for the phaser and the chorus/flanger/ensemble, and to add a compressor panel.

I think the Glide + Fingered feature does not work in poly mode. But it probably should, like on Sylenth1.

It angers me when a company is so sloppy. Steinberg has a good product there, but lost the perfectionism and thoroughness Germans used to known for. All those little imperfections listed make it feel like some beta test product.

1 Like

There is a little bug in the Retrologue user manual: it refers to the Shift parameter in the phaser section as Umschalttaste, which is the German word for the Shift key and has nothing at all to do with the Shift parameter, which refers to frequencies.

I don’t really use filter self-oscillation, but still, I tried it out of curiosity: all osc’s off, resonance to max, filter tracking to 100%, cutoff for tuning. While there is indeed a kind of sine wave more or less, there is an increasing attack delay the lower the note you play. On U-he’s Repro for instance the sound starts right away without delay, the way it should be.

What is the purpose of the random pitch control’s crazy scope? It goes from 0 to 100%, but anything beyond 1% at most is so off that it sounds wrong.