An open plea to Steinberg

I think you hit the point, the hobbiest is the majority user for cubase and it makes sense to give them 2nd rate SB original Vst instruments bundled with cloud and the latest trends, because this is a for profit business and I get that, however that didn’t Impact Cubase until we got to 7 in my opinion when the mixer was overhauled, changed , and since then so many bugs and issues like I have never seen in ten years of using Cubase. Exasurbated with 8, it’s an all time low right now for reliability. Just look at the threads.

There is a reason pro tools HD is the professional standard, however it’s to expensive for me to get the 24 stereo input I need, I don’t do post, I compose for indie films, and hand off stems to post house, and I like the midi functionality, and the fonts are very easy to read ( compared to digital performer ) so here I stay on 8.10 because 8.30 won’t work on my new i7 PC. I decided not to get 8.5 based on the bugs reported.

I would like to see Cubase and nuendo become one platform , call it Cubendo 10, like pro tools , first build ONE daw framework that is solid , stable, and works , and charge for add ons that people can choose how to spend their money with post production being the pro version. ( add ons could be vsts, cloud, video, add on post tools, add on composer tools ) for example. Yes I am dreaming away, dream dream dream, repeat after me …

Steinberg already has a line up that is aimed at different users . Cubase Pro with full features being targeted at ‘the more serious’ or professional user. The Cubase name is famous, all professionals, students budding musicians, hobbyists have heard of it, Nuendo, well now that is a different kettle of fish and a very niche product.

The argument is not ‘what is professional’ it is ‘what is fit for puropose’. For the Creative professional The ball game has changed and there is pretty much a level playing field for the creative world, which is largley governed by your contacts, your experience, the work you produce and if you can get your work into the right hands at the right time. As a company or freelancer If your invoices/royalties/sync fees/etc, etc are paid then great.

The tools one chooses hopefully enable you to produce the ‘professional’ product you intend to sell to the public or client. If the tools are getting in the way of that (try making a piece of furniture with blades that keep breaking, power tools that keep cutting out, etc , etc) you might eventually get the job done but not nearly as effectively as if the tools had been working correctly in the first place, and with more frustration than was needed.

Cubase Pro running on and with quality hardware (and a whole host of other factors) can be used ‘in the right hands’ to make a product that subsequently generates financial gain (sometimes small, sometimes huge) but although not without some current frustrations. (as with all current audio sequencers)

just read this to look on someone else lawn:

The solution…well this is the biggie. As a company, Steinberg simply must continue to listen to and have a dialogue with it’s customers, be humble! and remember that without the customers there is no Steinberg, Not an Ivory Tower. This is true for all successful companies.
They have to generate a regular income! that goes without saying and a rather obvious point, you cannot sell new products (C8.5) with just bug fixes but eventually not fixing issues and making bad decisions will harm sales in the form of bad reputation or reviews and online comments from disgruntled and unhappy users, currently I am very frustrated with the very slow progress providing certain fixes. Having never worked for Steinberg I cannot comment on the employee satisfaction rating but if this is down as well as poor communication, possible arrogance of employees then ultimately the quality of products will suffer. I have not a clue as to how things are going there, but I can only imagine it is not a terribly happy place right now)

it’s an all time low right now for reliability

nope: we have been here before.