No sound in Cubase on tracks with volume automation

Having exactly the same problem since today. That’s strange because I’m using Cubase 8.5 since the release day. Several restarts of Cubase solve the problem. But it’s time consuming with my huge projects.

Yesterday I got the same problem. I placed volume automation to one track and cutoff automation to another in my project. And I have next symptoms now:

• if song plays repeatedly, I lost all sound in all track in period from 10 to 40 minutes while I start to play song
  • if I making something changes in VST inserts (EQ’s, Compressors or any), Cubase lost sound immediately or for 30 seconds later for all tracks in song, when I close plugin window.
  • If I changing synth parameters on track where volume automation presents, Cubase lost sound for all tracks immediately.

This is really nightmare to me. I restart cubase 50 times for the last hour.

Having this problem here too, copied automation form one track to another, no sound. I then deleted the automation sound came back.
This issue seems to affect quite few C8.5 users, I hope Steiny can figure it out and fix it soon, it’s pretty bad.

Has this been officially reported?

I’ll guess, they know about it but still not confirmed :frowning:

some more about it:

hope we’ll get a fix soon!

and,… the drag delay on “zoom and drag” in the timeline, and the disk overload when I move the ruler to another position in the project window, etc, etc, etc,…

We’ll wait and see,
Peter

Double post,

Exactly the same here, and also with 8.0.30. But only with volume automation, which is probably the most common use of automation.

Bummer!!

same problem here. 8.5 volume automation = no audio :frowning:

edit: 8.03 is fine. no problem on automation.

It has been added to the ISSUES forum here: Steinberg Forums (but also others aswell)

I emailed Steinberg about it but never received a reply.

Its however an issue that has come up in various forms in many places, and Steinberg appear to have added it to the list of fixes: check here : No audio output bug found in Cubase 8.0.30 - Cubase - Steinberg Forums (scroll down to post 13 Fabio Bartolini) – I am not certain this is the exact same issue or not though?

I looked at the issue on my own system for a while — I was getting this issue when using VCA faders, and after deleting those, the volume automation worked OK.

But, now I cannot use VCA faders …

Hope that anyway helps point a way to a solution.

It would really help a lot, if someone from Steinberg could acknowledge here that that issue is being looked at. I understand these issues can come up, but when there is no response to emails and postings, then it makes it very very frustrating.

I have this problem too – what a showstopper.

Probably all of my songs have volume automation at some point and this bug seems to be spreading to more and more songs.

Please Steinberg – sort this one out.

I’ve gone back to 8.0.30 and it seems fine for now – at least I can still use the retrologue 2 there as it features in a couple of new songs…

I first noticed this problem when moving from 8.0.20 up to 8.0.30
Rolled back to 8.0.2 and no problems. Now I’m experiencing this issue with 8.5.0 and it is a show stopping problem. Who has time for “oops… our work around includes don’t use volume automation. We’ll add it to the list.” Sigh…

Can someone please post the exact steps to confirm this issue?

I just tried to reproduce according to the OP’s (Mosaic) problem description in the Issues forum (link seen above) and it plays
PERFECTLY FINE for me on Windows 10 and Cubase Pro 8.5 ?!

For it to be an actual issue it must be reproducible step by step.

Here’s the HD screenshot of it playing back perfectly fine on Cubase Pro 8.5 even after following the OP’s issue report…

Add a VCA fader in to control that track. See what happens then. (Although part of the problem appears to be this issue’s unpredictability, it would be good to find a way that reproduces the issue for all)

Mosaic,

as instructed here is the playback occurring normally after adding a VCA to control the volume.
It played as it should after adding VCA Fader.
I took it further and added automation to the VCA Fader and it still played normally.

I would suggest it is quite likely something system-specific. Meaning that it may be happening on systems with a certain combination of hardware or software or even settings or the corruption thereof.

Have you tried starting Cubase in Safe Start Mode to see if the problem is related to Preferences or corrupted Preferences files ?

How to Start Cubase in Safe Start Mode

How to Initialize Preferences or Reset Preferences to Default in Cubase

Yes, I’ve tried trashing the preferences but the problem remains even with a fresh preferences.

As I mentioned, the issue dis unpredictable. For some users the issue comes and goes. For some users (eg, you), the issue does not show itself at all.

You should probably investigate deeper what other software is running on your machine while Cubase is running.
Shutdown other programs one by one to see if the problem is eliminated after each program is stopped.
On Windows you can use task manager (ctrl-alt-del to launch) to terminate running programs and processes (including any antivirus software).

Maybe you’ll be able to find the offending software cause of the issue as from all my tests (not able to replicate what you describe on my installation) it really doesn’t seem to be an issue originating in Cubase.

i open my PC. I am not connected to the internet and have nothing else open at all. I open a new Cubase 8.5 project. I get the automation issue described. I open Cubase 8.2.0 and do exactly the same, no automation problems at all. Many others have the same problem. There is a clear difference between 8.2.0 and 8.5. And its not just me reporting that.

For the record I also have Sonar Platinum installed. No similar problem there either.

I agree with you. There is a clear difference.
Cubase Pro 8.5 performs MUCH better on all of my systems.

Yes, you’ve made your point. I’m happy for you that everything is working as expected. Lets get back to trying to solve the issue for those who have it.