UR22 cuts out intermittently

This section is about Steinberg's UR and UR-RT USB audio interfaces product range
Eloraite

Re: UR22 cuts out intermittently

Post by Eloraite » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:05 pm

I had this issue as well, but with the UR12 model. I posted what my fix was here: viewtopic.php?f=157&t=90551#p505870

Of course YMMV and the issue I was running into may be different from the one everyone else is having in this thread, but it manifested itself in the EXACT same way (dropping audio at random for a couple seconds at most). My only theory, and this is pure conjecture was that the USB ports I was using on the front of the PC (which were technically Generic USB Hub ports as far as the driver was concerned since they just go back to the motherboard on a small 8-pin plug) were either under powered or just couldn't handle enough bandwidth and regardless of how big the driver's buffer was, it was just dropping data between the PC, the interface, and back into the PC again. I don't know too much about the intricacies of these things though, so someone more informed might have better advice or ideas as to what's going on here.

Edit: Actually, after some experimenting, it may even be a power issue. I noticed that when you turn the phantom power on or off while listening to something, it drops out in exactly the same way and then does the quick fade in while panning from right to left, just like when it was dropping audio earlier. Has anyone tried using an external power source while running it yet?

siztemruinor

Post by siztemruinor » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:15 pm

hello,guys,I am a chinese UR242 user,I have same issue:cut or glitch.I have tried every driver from 1.9.0 to 1.9.6,but it remains the same.

My PC:
interl i5 6600k
GIGA Z170X UD3
G.skils 8G*2
samsong 840evo
inno3d GTX-760
win10 x64/win7 x64

this issue bother me for more than three months......So I guess it's not of the OS or Drivers?After read all posts above,I tried disabled the "Nvidia steamer service", but the cut and glitch still here. :cry:

siztemruinor

Post by siztemruinor » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:40 pm

siztemruinor wrote:hello,guys,I am a chinese UR242 user,I have same issue:cut or glitch.I have tried every driver from 1.9.0 to 1.9.6,but it remains the same.

My PC:
interl i5 6600k
GIGA Z170X UD3
G.skils 8G*2
samsong 840evo
inno3d GTX-760
win10 x64/win7 x64

this issue bother me for more than three months......So I guess it's not of the OS or Drivers?After read all posts above,I tried disabled the "Nvidia steamer service", but the cut and glitch still here. :cry:
【upgrade】
I tried to move my mouse to the front,usb 2.0 port onboard only for UR242,it seemed that getting better. So I think mouse that set aside UR242 may cause cut or glitch....... :?:

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Yeah, some months ago now I tried every USB port on my PC and unplugged everything else so my UR22 was the only USB device connected - and I still got the dropouts.
And just to clarify in relation Eloraite's earlier post. The problem I'm (and I think a number of others are) having has never been a dropout lasting a anything like couple of seconds. It's always been a tiny fraction of a fraction of a second. In fact it's the polar opposite of a 'click' or 'pop' - it's that kind of duration - except it's silence rather than a sound.
I really hope Steinberg are working on these PC issues in their driver development.
Windows 10 64bit
i7 5820K, Asrock X99 Extreme6 mobo, 32gb RAM, 4x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSDs,
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9
EW Hollywood Orchestra Diamond

innerlyte

Post by innerlyte » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:25 pm

Just wanted to chime in and mention I am experiencing this problem as well with my recently purchased UR242.

In continuing the Asrock trend, here is my set-up:
i7-4790K 4.0 GHz (Not OC’d)
16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1866MHz
Asrock Z97 Extreme4 (drop-outs occurred on BIOS/UEFI v1.30 as well as the current v2.30)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 (GV-N960WF2OC-4GD)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD

As others have tried, I’ve disabled all throttling and power saving items. I have not observed any spikes using latency monitoring software. And of course, Asrock’s integrated audio plays without issue. It’s unfortunate, because I had high hopes for the Saffire 6i6, but Focusrite’s software BSOD’d my computer. So I turned to the company that developed ASIO technology.

In their defense, developers using the Windows platform don’t have it easy, but I would rather not go through the whole tech support charade, as I’ve seen play out so frustratingly in this thread. So I guess now my options are to either try a different MOBO or audio interface. I’ve heard RME’s products are pretty rock solid, but of course they’re a bit out of my price range… :(

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:25 am

innerlyte wrote:Just wanted to chime in and mention I am experiencing this problem as well with my recently purchased UR242.

In continuing the Asrock trend, here is my set-up:
i7-4790K 4.0 GHz (Not OC’d)
16GB DDR3 RAM @ 1866MHz
Asrock Z97 Extreme4 (drop-outs occurred on BIOS/UEFI v1.30 as well as the current v2.30)
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 (GV-N960WF2OC-4GD)
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1
Samsung EVO 850 250GB SSD

As others have tried, I’ve disabled all throttling and power saving items. I have not observed any spikes using latency monitoring software. And of course, Asrock’s integrated audio plays without issue. It’s unfortunate, because I had high hopes for the Saffire 6i6, but Focusrite’s software BSOD’d my computer. So I turned to the company that developed ASIO technology.

In their defense, developers using the Windows platform don’t have it easy, but I would rather not go through the whole tech support charade, as I’ve seen play out so frustratingly in this thread. So I guess now my options are to either try a different MOBO or audio interface. I’ve heard RME’s products are pretty rock solid, but of course they’re a bit out of my price range… :(
Mobo change was what worked for me. After investigation of the Z97 Extreme4 it became apparent that there were other issues as well that I did not wish to have ever. It sucked though I was able to keep every installation of OS and software. Not sure how that happened but it did. The computer place that set it up said something about it having the same chipset. I didn't even have to reactivate the OEM version of Windows Professional when I replaced the Z97 with the Asus board.
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

innerlyte

Post by innerlyte » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:16 am

jimmys69 wrote:I was able to keep every installation of OS and software. Not sure how that happened but it did. The computer place that set it up said something about it having the same chipset. I didn't even have to reactivate the OEM version of Windows Professional when I replaced the Z97 with the Asus board.
Crud. I didn't even think of that. Thanks for the heads up. I was under the impression that the OEM version of Windows binds itself to your mobo, preventing transfer or reuse of that activation. That's pretty interesting to hear. Which board did you end up going with?

Bann

Post by Bann » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:32 pm

Hi,

I bought a ur242 few days ago and i got those few seconds cuts randomly as well on my pc (cubase, youtube, video player... and its not only the sound, it also cut the video).
After trying almost everything described precedently in that topic, nothing worked out... (even changing IDE to AHCI in the bios...)

I tried to plug the ur242 on my laptop and it works perfectly... So i guess its a hardware incompatibility, because both my pc and my laptop use windows 10 64bit, and on both i used USB 2.0. My laptop's spec are a lot lower than my pc.

I also noticed something: while recording , even the audio is cutting, it doesnt affect what you are playing... i dont know it can help...

Here are my pc's spec:

GC: Nvidia geforce GTX 970
Proc: Intel core i7-4790 3.60GHz
Sound card: realtek HD audio
hd: ssd
Ram: 16GB
Windows 10 x64

Just hope it will be fixed soon...

JeeZues

Post by JeeZues » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:00 pm

Hi guys I am experiencing the same problem with the UR22. Random short disconnection of sound while listening back through cibase, youtube, itunes etc.

Computer Specs:
- Windows 7
- AMD Athlon2 X2 255 Processor 3.10HGz
- 8.00GB RAM (7.49GB usable)
- 64bit operating system

computer settings:
(Device Line Properties window)
- playback through device
- 2 channel, 24 bit, 48000Hz

(Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver window)
- Sample Rate at 48kHz (Steinberg UR22 Window tab)
- Device: Steinberg UR22 (ASIO window tab)
- Buffer Size: 1536 samples (ASIO window tab)
- Input Latency: 36.500 msec (ASIO window tab)
- Output Latency: 40.500 msec (ASIO window tab)
- USB Driver V1.9.0 (About window tab) (Driver Date 19/08/2014)

I tried changing sample size thinking that was an issue, it was initially around the 500 mark. I came to realise this wasn't the problem, but something more within the ur22-windows compatibility.

Did anyone find a workable result? Did this work?: http://www.amazon.com/Smartti-SMT-SD-PE ... B000YFWPEK

I am using a desktop, so unplugging the chord isn't an issue for me here.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:42 am

Despite all the silence in here (sorry for that) we have been investigating the issue in the meantime, had several similar setups and graphics cards but haven't been able to reproduce this so far.
However, while making my way through this thread, I noticed that most of you use a nVidia Geforce solution? Is there anyone using a ATI/AMD graphics card and having the drop out issues at all?

We have had reports of performance issues in conjunction with Cubase in the past with other audio interfaces as well. Especially nVidia Quadro solutions can cause trouble.
nVidia is also involved and recently introduce a "Steinberg Cubase" profile you can select. Their drivers operate in a way that heavily interferes with real time audio and can cause drop outs.
Now I am not saying that nVidia is to blame but this is another option you should have a closer look at while trying to get rid of this annoying problem.

In addition to a disabled core parking (if available) and disabled c-states please make sure to have the latest available nVidia driver installed.
Now install the "nVidia Inspector" (e.g. from here: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvi ... nload.html) and start it. Next to the entry "Driver Version" you can click on the "profile settings" button. In that new window, select "Steinberg Cubase" from the drop down and apply the changes. And yes, as mentioned earlier on in this thread, the nVidia Optimus might have an impact on the performance and is changed by selecting the "Steinberg Cubase" profile.

Let me know if that helps!
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:46 am

jimmys69 wrote:And wow! What a difference this ASUS board makes!

Now that I know what LatencyMon should look like on a solid system, I can see there are really some big issues with that ASRock mobo I was using.

By the way, I was only charged $75 to change the mobo and didn't have to reinstall Windows or any of my software. :)
Did you ever mention the exact Asus mainboard model you have been using successfully now?
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

jimmys69

Post by jimmys69 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:58 pm

ASUS Z97-0117
PC Win7-64-16G i7-4790k/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit, Cubase 8-9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7X/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor

Rene_Sens

Post by Rene_Sens » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:29 pm

Ed Doll wrote:Despite all the silence in here (sorry for that) we have been investigating the issue in the meantime, had several similar setups and graphics cards but haven't been able to reproduce this so far.
However, while making my way through this thread, I noticed that most of you use a nVidia Geforce solution? Is there anyone using a ATI/AMD graphics card and having the drop out issues at all?
I'm afraid I do, Ed!

My configuration is:

MB: Asus M5A78L LE AM3+ ATX
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2800MHz/L3-6144Kb/HT
Card: Gigabyte RadeOn HD6850 1024Mb GDDR5 820Mhz

Sound drops for a second or two and then restores itself. Often it happens like first it returns to right (or left) channel then to another.

Someone asked about using external power (like some +5V phone charger). Doesn't help either, so it's not about power, I believe. I would go for data transfer issue.

So please, keep researching! I had high hopes for this model!

Fregus

Post by Fregus » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Hi all!

I have a gtx 970 with a z97 based chipset and an UR22 on win 10. I have been experiencing the same issues. I have tried the solution Ed Doll posted and it seems to be working! I can use chrome for youtube videos with no more drop-outs! And media players work fine too! I hope this good state remains and i won't get drop-outs anymore :)

cheers,

Frank

davpan

Post by davpan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:03 pm

Ed Doll wrote:Despite all the silence in here (sorry for that) we have been investigating the issue in the meantime, had several similar setups and graphics cards but haven't been able to reproduce this so far.
Yes, I have an ATI Radeon 3000 graphics card on Windows 7 64 Bit, 8Mb RAM. I have the same audio cut out issues as everyone else (every 20 seconds) when playing audio either through my DAW or Windows Media Player. I have UR22 plugged into the main USB 2.0 port at the back of the PC tower, with every other USB device disconnected.

Changing the Power Settings from "Balanced" to "High Performance" makes a little bit of difference (every 60 seconds roughly), but not enough.

javi

Post by javi » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:15 pm

However, while making my way through this thread, I noticed that most of you use a nVidia Geforce solution?
No, Asus laptop i3 with Nvidia Gforce working fine with the UR22
Is there anyone using a ATI/AMD graphics card and having the drop out issues at all?
Not again, desktop PC i7 with on board Intel HD graphics 4600 chipset having random drop out issue.

Both computers running Windows 10 home 64 bits. My desktop PC has an Asrock Z97 Pro4 motherboard. As I read about jimmys69 Asrock issue then installed Ubuntu Linux in my desktop PC and guess what, I've been playing and recording audio through the UR22 for hours with no issues!

Ed, I would tell you it could be e.g. a Windows kernel USB subsytem issue if I hadn't check Linux, I hadn't a laptop running fine UR22 on Win10 and I hadn't read that other users are having random drop out issues in MacOS too.

Could it be a MOBO issue? mmm, how many faulty MOBOs? Not sure though, so I've just emailed to Asrock linking here, I hope they could shed light on this issue.

On the other hand Ed, I can't believe after ONE YEAR someone in Steinberg come here asking for info. I emailed to Steinberg support one month ago, no answer yet. So I've purchased a professional sound card because I can't stop working, > 600 bucks! The worst thing isn't the money that I've spent but the time figuring out what the hell is going on, sending the UR22 to the vendor and so on. A friend of mine tell me the price of a sound card or audio interface isn't only the hardware, the driver is almost more important.

Time to review the driver Ed?

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Okay, one success but "ATI" systems showing the same issue on the other hand. Thank you all for the additional information!

@javi, thanks for trying it on Linux and yes, we should have been more active here. However, silence on the forum does not mean that we did not try to reproduce this error and find a solution.
Unfortunately, we haven't been able to build a system showing this issue and thus we start all over again. The email you send has been received but let's try to keep this specific topic visible to all here on the forum. The developers at Yamaha are also reviewing this forum thread but I'll make sure that we'll post any progress here as soon as we have anything.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

jamieboo

Post by jamieboo » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks so much for responding Ed!
I know we're not at a solution yet, but it's so reassuring to know that you're aware of the problem and that it's being investigated.
Just to reiterate my problem: It's a patternless dropping out of sound. Each dropout lasts a fraction of a second (so it's like the silent equivalent of a click). I could get 2 in 1 minute, or I could go hours without hearing one. I have not noticed any 'cause and effect' relationship between anything I'm doing and the occasions of the dropouts. They occur whether I'm in a DAW environment or if I'm just listening to Spotify or Mediaplayer, or watching youtube or playing a game. So anytime sound is being produced.
Nothing problematic shows in DPC Latency Checker or Latency Monitor.
I'm using Windows 7 64bit and Cubase 8
i7 5820
AsRock X99 Extreme6 mobo
UR22
32GB
3x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD's
NVidia 980ti using 358.91 driver

As you say, maybe the NVidia component is the problem. Unfortunately I have no onboard graphics to compare.
I haven't yet tried 'Steinberg Cubase' profile you mentioned as I'm away for my main system for a while.
I'll give it a go, but it's name suggests a DAW-centric optimisation (focusing on ASIO behaviour perhaps?) so I wonder if it will have any effect when simply using mediaplayer, youtube, unDAW stuff.
But like I said, I'll give it a go when I can. Anyone else tried it yet?

Thanks. Hopefully we'll get there!
Windows 10 64bit
i7 5820K, Asrock X99 Extreme6 mobo, 32gb RAM, 4x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb SSDs,
MSI GTX980ti
Steinberg UR22
Cubase 9
EW Hollywood Orchestra Diamond

djecliptik

Post by djecliptik » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:20 pm

I am having same issue with UR242. I see that someone is already looking into this issue, however, I'm not sure how long I can wait for a fix for this, before I attempt to buy another interface.

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:06 am

@jamieboo, it seems to be working for "Fregus" who commented on this a bit earlier on. As I have mentioned, Cubase needs all the realtime audio resources it can get and the nVidia driver (and others) seem to interfere. Selecting a "Cubase friendly" profile for the graphic card won't have a negative side effect on other audio applications. If at all, I would expect some negative side effects on very graphic intense applications but who knows what the profile really does in detail. It's not that we suggested this to nVidia so they must have had their own test results.
But unfortunately, nVidia is not the only one to blame. There are ATI cards with certain mainboards and chipsets involved as well and there could very well be an issue on our side as well. That's what we are trying to figure out at the moment.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Hamburg, Germany

dakn

Post by dakn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:40 pm

Just to chime back in, I am still suffering with this issue since my early post back in March when I bought my UR22. At the time I was using an ATI 7870. I did find an improvement plugging it into a PCI USB card as suggested earlier but I have since upgraded to an Nvidia GTX970 and the issue is rampant with any audio and video I play causing drop outs in both.

I will try out the Nvidia Inspector profile tonight and report back.

javi

Post by javi » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi all,

bad news :(

after disabling on board Intel graphics and installing a Sapphire Radeon R7 240 1GB GDDR5 graphic card in a PCIe x16 lane the UR22 issue remains ... nice graphics though

Waiting for solution, best regards

davpan

Post by davpan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:27 am

I think I've managed to fix the audio drop off problem on my system :)

Here is my spec;
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit SP1 Operating System
AMD FX-4130 Quad Core CPU
8.00GB RAM
BIOSTAR Group A960D+ Motherboard
ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics
Realtek High Definition Audio
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Network Adapter

Before the fix I tried lots of things mentioned in this thread previously: stopped processes, disabled graphics card, changed USB ports/hubs etc. I even tried replacing the USB cable with one fitted with a ferrite choke (I think this made a minor difference). None of these things fixed the audio drop out until I manually updated all the drivers relating to audio, graphics and network devices. I didn't need to replace any hardware at all, I only replaced the drivers for the devices. Trying to update the drivers by choosing 'Search automatically for updated driver software' after Right Clicking the device, DID NOT update the drivers required to get things working. That was the most frustrating part of this whole process - Windows would say you already have the best driver software installed!

First I updated my Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver to V1.9.6
http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en ... sb_driver/

Then I used a program called TweakBit Driver Updater to scan my system for any out of date drivers
http://www.tweakbit.com/driver-updater/
Once you run the program and 'Click to scan' the updater recommends official drivers made exactly for each device being updated. You don't need to Activate the program as you are only using it to make a list of the new drivers. The scan takes around 5 minutes to complete in full. Once it's done you will have a list of devices that the updater has detected. Clicking on the device in the Category column, and a popup screen will show you the information about the new driver. Just make a note of the driver version and the publisher. You can then search online for the official websites of the devices and download and install the drivers that you noted earlier.

I upgraded in this order;
1. ATI Radeon 3000 graphics
2. Realtex Network adapter
3. Realtek HD Audio

Next thing I did was to disable Core Parking on my CPU as suggested by Ed Doll. I used a program called ParkControl https://bitsum.com/parkcontrol/ to do this. If you don't want to use the program, there are registry tweaks that can be done to disable Core parking. Also try selecting 'High Performance' in Power Settings and also set Minimum and Maximum both to 100% under Processor Power Settings.

Finally after everything was updated, I disabled the Network adapter in Device Manager. Now the UR22 works fine in both my DAW environment and through Windows Media Player.

I hope my post helps anyone else experiencing the same problem as I know how frustrating this is.
Last edited by davpan on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

javi

Post by javi » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:39 pm

Good news :) , I've disabled the wireless card and the UR22 seems to work fine! It's a Qualcomm Atheros wireless network adapter. It's updated to the last version so I'll have to change my network adapter too

Thank you davpan

NorthWood MediaWorks

Post by NorthWood MediaWorks » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:03 pm

Just thought I would add... I found I was getting clicks and pops as most buffer settings on my UR44 which surprised me, even though my system has lots of muscle and should be able to run at low ms settings.... however, once I disabled my ethernet NIC, all that went away...

I reviewed the video in this topic, which helped eliminate my issue viewtopic.php?f=226&t=89134

Hope that helps someone else.

Return to “Steinberg UR Series”