Nuendo : transfer licence from iLok?

Could it maybe a trial version of a NeyRinck encoder?
I seem to remember something along these lines at one point…

How can you tell what is on an iLOK if you do not know the registered login, BTW?

I just downloaded the iLok driver and app, created an account, and it showed me what was on the iLok.

Fredo
Please look here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stienberg-Nuendo-1-5-2-Crossgrade-Pack-/222008878670?hash=item33b0c2a64e:g:KVAAAOSwFqJWqnve

There IS such a thing as a Nuendo version with/on an iLok.
Sometimes you have to expect the unexpected :open_mouth:

I now have the licence on a normal elicenser :smiley:

Hello,
There definitely was a Nuendo iLok license, I still have three. The first Nuendo Mac version was done on iLok and were that way for a couple of versions, the PC versions were still on parallel port. I don’t remember which Nuendo Mac version moved to the eLicenser.

You have a very old version.
Hugh

The iLok in these pictures is for the TC Surround Reverb which is included in the sale.

Anyway, there is nothing you can do with this version, dates from early 2000.

Fredo

Fredo,
Hugh says he has three Nuendo iloks, I have one - which tells me in ilok manager that its for Nuendo - and the ebay item also has one. Why are you not prepared to accept this ? After all, it’s taken 3 years for an example to appear on ebay because they are so rare.

And please don’t say that nothing can be done with software just because it’s old - I have Cubasis 5 (2003) running on Windows 7,8 and 10 64bit versions. It includes Easy Electric Guitar and Easy Acoustic Guitar (both working) which are early versions of the much lamented Virtual Guitarist. They run perfectly as VSTs in Cubase 7.5. Just because it’s old doesn’t mean it won’t run on the latest OS!

I’ll see what this old Nuendo can do as soon as I get some spare time. Perhaps I’ll dig out Cubase Audio too … and couple them up to my Yamaha CX5M MSX computer (DX9 synth version)

wes

I came across the ilok again today. Here are some pictures, just in case you ever find one (or don’t believe they ever existed :smiley: )
The ilok:

The Nuendo chip for the ilok:

Yes I know this is a dead thread… I was searching to find out when Nuendo went from ilok to e-licensing and came upon this thread…
Fredo, seems I started to use Nuendo even before you… Nuendo 1 and 1.5 (I came in on 1.5), did you use an ilok.
I still have my dongle…
rsp

1 Like

Hi rsp,
A few articles from Sound On Sound magazine give us some clues:
Nuendo 2 was reviewed in September 2003, and the review says this is an e-licenser version. See here. It had been made available as a beta version in March 2003.

Nuendo 2.0 is copy protected by a new USB dongle, so you’ll also need a spare USB port on your computer, and the best news is that existing Nuendo users can keep their v1.x dongle to use on another computer.

Nuendo 1.5.2 was the first release for mac and was reviewed in October 2001. See here, which has yet another photo of the ilok :dizzy_face:

Just because a USB dongle is shaped like an iLok doesn’t mean it’s an iLok. Just so that’s clear.

Actual iLok USB dongles have as far as I can remember been branded accordingly. I also don’t recall ever having had an iLok account associated with Nuendo, and I had Nuendo since version 1 in 2000 or whenever it was. If I had an iLok account it would mean I would have used that later in life as I got other plugins - but I didn’t.

1 Like

Version 1 of Nuendo was for Windows only, and used a parallel port dongle, which explains why you never had an associated ilok. This type of parallel port dongle had been in use for versions of “Cubase VST” (before Cubase 1 SX/SL versions started). As stated in my previous reply the ilok was used only for the mac only version of Nuendo released about October 2001 , and replaced by the standard USB dongle in Nuendo 2.

3 Likes

Ok, so did you get it transferred yet?

I got a lot of different boxes (5 or 6) with my purchase, and it turned out that I had both mac and windows versions, and a different dongle for each. I’m windows only, so I transferred the parallel dongle licence to a USB dongle, see my Jan 2016 post above.

I remember that Nuendo dongle, I think I still have it somewhere! I came in on Mac about 2001-2, Nuendo 1.6 I think. I also don’t think it was an actual iLok, just the same physical type.

I seem to remember that Cubase VST was authorized by the CD, no dongle for that, though all the old Atari Steinberg products used a dongle.

I had Cubase VST 3, 4 and 5 (including a 32 bit version of VST 5), and VST Score. I’m fairly sure they all had parallel dongles. But there was a Cubasis 5 VST version that was supplied as a CD with a code printed on it that had to be entered after installation. That was around 2003 when Steinberg were owned by Pinnacle, and the CD had Pinnacle printed prominantly on it.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

This is such an interesting read, specially now that I am looking for a Nuendo 1.x dongle for Mac like the one in the pictures!!!

Unfortunately my Nuendo 3 USB Licenser is not backwards compatible with Nuendo 1.x -at least on a Mac I can confirm it is not working. It has no problem running Nuendo 2.0, it seems like the backwards compatibility starts at v2.

Maybe one of your old unused dongles would really help me out!!! I am looking to purchase one and would be interested. I am talking to you zvenx, jjb and company :wink:

Let me know if you have a Nuendo 1.x dongle for Mac lying around somewhere and have no use for it!!

Any help is much appreciated indeed

• MusicWorks

Hi, we spoke.
I have mine but alas I am not selling it.
I am curious though, why not upgrade to a newer version?
rsp

1 Like

MusicWorks implies that his Nuendo 3 USB dongle doesn’t work with Nuendo 1.x projects. I’ve found a similar situation in that Cubase SX/SL 1 and earlier projects won’t load with my Cubase 7 dongle.
So if you are a long term user and need to go back to or reuse a very early project you can’t :sob:.
The only way is to build a legacy system.

That is correct, I can confirm that backwards compatibility starts at v2.0 for the N3 dongle. Which in turn seems to coincide with the standarization of the eLCC software/server combination to manage Steinberg licenses.

Given they were using different copy protection schemes at the time for Nuendo (the white parallel dongle for Windows and the USB dongle pictured in this post for Mac) and they finally settled for Steinberg propietary eLicense technology for ALL products (starting with v2 of Nuendo) my personal take is that Steinberg probably licensed the iLok copy protection scheme as an interim solution.

At the time Cubase authorization required having the original CD in the drive for installation. The installer would checksum the CD to verify its authenticity and then place the (invisible) authorization file on the hard drive. It’s probably also relevant the fact that having USB copy protection schemes -although ground-breaking at the time- left most old Mac users out as these had no USB ports.

Nuendo required a G4 processor from the get go, while Cubase VST/24 could run in al Old Rom Mac quite happily, so it made sense using a USB licensing technology considering all G4s have USB ports.

In my case, I just love Mac OS9 and is rock solid for me in my old PowerBook G4 which I use daily. A matter of preference at the end of the day, as Nuendo was a very mature software from the start. Certain features are added in each version of course, but honestly how many times have we used TimeWarp for picture? :wink:

This Nuendo 1 iLok is certainly a transition period for the softwares copy protection scheme…another user has confirmed it is indeed an actual iLok. Thus, I believe they licensed it from PACE for N1 on Mac only.

• MusicWorks

Hmmm I didn’t realise current Nuendo versions can’t read older 1.5 projects… i will try to test that out.
rsp