When is WL 9 coming out?

Well, at 0:17, we see the “Audio Editor” (or what looks to be the montage!), which does have some GUI ideas taken from the likes of other hosts that do freely attachable/detachable windows. So we will(!) see a full GUI overhaul after all. Not too sure if I’ll like it though. Then again, everything is better than WL7/8’s sometimes confusing windows and window handling (I hate clicking outside of WL and all my plugin GUI’s vanishing/closing).

At 0:20, we’ll see a new plugin called “Master Rig”, which looks like a combined concept that a lot of developers currently do as well. Think Ozone “lite”, or IK Multimedia with the Lurssen Mastering Module. I actually kind of like the look on that thing. Has something from current Native Instruments GUI’s. I’m curious what this will be about, and how good it will actually sound/perform (and if we can load it in Cubase as well if we copy over the VST3 files - please say yes). I don’t see this as a main selling point, but I’m sure (like CubEndo) that it will be made to be one. Though is the creation of this tool to counteract the 10 insert limit?

At 0:23, we see one new window - a “Wave Scope”. I do hope we can configure that to show smaller time frames, etc. Overall, this looks like a more “cleaned up GUI”, also different metering. And here is my biggest concern - can we fully configure the meters to our needs? Like: ballistics, color codes, reference levels? (please, please say yes!)

That big blocky thing at 0:25/0:26 looks like something for “easier positioning”? I sure hope this won’t be advertised as… cough - old Steinberg cats will get this… … er… “Groundbreaking”.

At 0:29, we seem to get a MASSIVE update on the routing. We can now use INSERTS and SEND, in Stereo, L, R, Mid/Side. Here is hope for proper multi-track recording capabilities in WL9!

At 0:32 - we get a new file handler

At least this is what I get out of the video.

My main concerns are still:

• will we get an update in the Batch Analyzer?
  • can we fully configure metering tools?
  • (my biggest concern) was the VST3 SDK better implemented? (I’m a beta tester for various - what works in CubEndo doesn’t work in WL and the other way around)

And I really, really hope that the Fraunhofer ProCodec inclusion wasn’t dropped, but rather overhauled slightly (better GUI - I do like the Sonnox plugin concept!), not to mention rendering of SURROUND tracks (discrete WAV, setup to a 5.1 to 9.1 mix) - not just stereo ones.

A bonus surprise would be, if Wavelab can now load WAV files, slice them, and generate REX. But… I think this is wishful thinking. Just like creating very, very basic Pure Audio Blu-Rays.

Actually - there is an AES “Conference” end of this week. Would this already count as “spring”?
(considering North American Groundhog Day and all)