No sound in Cubase on tracks with volume automation

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
DocMa

Re: No sound in Cubase on tracks with volume automation

Post by DocMa » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:07 am

Hi there, I have the same issue on some of my projects (mostly the really busy ones) on 8.03.
I tried to move the complete project folder from my HDD to my system SSD and the problems are gone for now. Maybe it's coincidence.
I hope this helps,

cheers, Matze!
Desktop: C9.01, Win7 64bit, RME Fireface UFX, UAD2-Quad, i7 Ivy-Bridge, 16GB RAM, SSD, NI Komplete 5+6, BFD2, Waves Gold, BFD, Addictive Drums, Fabfilter Pro-Q, WaveLab Elements
Desktop: C8.52 32bit, Win7 64bit, Focusrite Scarlett, Intel DP35DP, Core 2 Duo E6750, Intel SSD, 2x WD Raptor, 4GB Patriot RAM
Macbook: C9LE, MacBookPro (2015), 8GB RAM, OSX El Capitano, MOTU 828MKII
http://www.docmaklang.de

JamesTNL

Post by JamesTNL » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:56 pm

Same problem here. Weirder even is the workaround:

Moved the project folder to my C: drive, opened it with Cubase 8.5: sound working with automation.
Then I opened original project from D: drive: sound working with automation.

So simply moving that particular project to another drive, opening it in Cubase has triggered something to fix this issue.

One thing I did notice when it wasn't working was when clicking on the fader with the mouse, sound would return while keeping the fader pressed. Weird bug with an even weirder workaround indeed. :S
Cubase 7.06 - Windows 7 Ultimate x64 - ASRock B85M-ITX - Intel Core i5 4570S - 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 - Dawicontrol DC-FW800 PCIe - Presonus Firebox - Xigmatek Nebula - be quiet! Pure Power L8 430W CM - Steinberg CMC-AI - Steinberg CMC-TP - Steinberg CMC-CH

sheby1911

Post by sheby1911 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:47 pm

I have exactly the same problem on 8.0.35. Unfortunately moving project on my system hdd didn't solve the issue.

mart

Post by mart » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:23 pm

"One thing I did notice when it wasn't working was when clicking on the fader with the mouse, sound would return while keeping the fader pressed. "

I found the same behaviour
Windows 10 Build 1903 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 10.5, Dorico 2.2 1 OCTO & 1 Quad UAD, Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 with 32gb Slave PC.

SoundsLikeJoe

Post by SoundsLikeJoe » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:06 pm

JamesTNL wrote:Same problem here. Weirder even is the workaround:

Moved the project folder to my C: drive, opened it with Cubase 8.5: sound working with automation.
Then I opened original project from D: drive: sound working with automation.

So simply moving that particular project to another drive, opening it in Cubase has triggered something to fix this issue.

One thing I did notice when it wasn't working was when clicking on the fader with the mouse, sound would return while keeping the fader pressed. Weird bug with an even weirder workaround indeed. :S
:shock:

WOW! I can't believe this workaround did it. I've been restarting everything this bug appeared. This is a much quicker fix.... although, quite bizarre.

marQs

Post by marQs » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Today suddenly this problem appeared here on my machine the first time. I'm working with 8.5 since it's out and did not have it but I did some Windows updates recently, that was all I changed. Rolled back the system with system restore and voila!, everything's working again!

Have my DAW offline, do Windows updates rarely. Which I maybe just shouldn't :mrgreen:
Cubase 10 | WL 9.5 | Fireface UFX | UAD2 Octo (2x)/Quad PCI-e | Win10 Pro 64 | i7-7820 x | Asus Prime X299-A
http://www.secretsource.de
Authentic Drums - Sample Pack for Slate Trigger: https://www.authentic-audio.de/drum-sa ... e-trigger/

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:58 pm

I had this problem show up. I fixed by simply putting a new volume automation point at the start of the track by clicking it, then moving it up with my mouse to 0. (moved it up or down in case it was already at 0 then back.)

After that all the tracks held their volume and obeyed any new automation I wrote.

Pain though. Shouldn't be happening.

So No Music 2

Post by So No Music 2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Well, my old solution didn't work this morning, so I followed Federiko's solution from earlier in the thread and simply opened the project in 8.0.3, played a few bars (which had sound there) and exited without saving.

8.5 had sound after that in the project.

All this leads me to believe its not initializing the audio hardware properly. Playing with faders, automation, etc. is occasionally doing the same thing and gets everything working as well. But letting 8.0.3 initialize it works everytime.

**BTW, I noticed I only have this problem if I used a program (like Premiere Pro) that uses the ASIO drivers first. Even if I've closed it. Using Cubase 8.5 when its the only thing I've opened is fine.

Again this makes me think it's not intializing the audio correctly.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:30 am

I had this problem for the first time today. Last night I was working on the same project and all was normal. Today I booted my DAW and opened the project to find no sound. Turning off the read automation followed by clicking on the fader restored the sound (like others, even when read was engaged clicking & holding on the fader caused it to play until the mouse was released). Didn't need the automation for the day's task so I left it off and haven't explored the problem further. However a project that was working fine yesterday wasn't today. Between then and now no changes were made to the OS, no software was installed or uninstalled (including drivers), no hardware was changed - everything is exactly like it was last night. The only thing that happened was that I shut the system down last night and restarted it this morning.

At the moment I don't need automation, but will soon

EDIT:

Closed my current project and loaded several different projects that I knew had automation, some recent some older. None of them produced sound. Shutdown Cubase, and restarted it. Now all those same projects play fine (knock on wood).
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Devin

Post by Devin » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:37 am

I currently have an issue which sounds like the above.

The project would kill the outputs on load and unless I restarted Cubase, wouldn't be able to load any other working projects.

Finally after wasted hours of not making music, tracked it down to automation on an FX channel parameter change.

Seems to be fine now, but holy *flower* Steingberg, enough with the version updates, just fix what we paid for.
Win 10 64-bit
MOTU Traveler
16GB
i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60 Ghz

www.soundcloud.com/21stsentry

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:34 pm

I noticed one other strange characteristic. When I open a project with the problem, none of the tracks play sound. Then if I disable automation read and slightly move those faders all the sound plays on every track. Then if I re-enable automation read on a track, that track & only that track stops playing - the other tracks continue to play even though they initially didn't.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.5, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

mart

Post by mart » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:39 pm

raino - same behaviour here on affected projects. I just opened a mix this morning of a track I had been working on in 8.5 without issue. This morning the Mute bug is present. The vocal and an organ track which has automation written will not sound. When I load the same project in 8.03 it all works fine. Tried saving from 8.03 and going back to 8.5 but did not fix the problem.
Windows 10 Build 1903 , Gigabyte x58 Soc FORCE, 16gb Ddr4 RAM, Intel 5930x, Cubase 10.5, Dorico 2.2 1 OCTO & 1 Quad UAD, Protools 12.7, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5 with 32gb Slave PC.

TKW

Post by TKW » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:10 pm

I'm bumping this thread. How are you getting on with fixing this issue Steinberg?

It has to be said that on a professional level, letting this bug through seems pretty shoddy.

I sure hope you're prioritising this for a quick patch. It's embarassing if it happens in front of clients

NeilLogMac

Post by NeilLogMac » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:01 pm

Need a fix for this NOW as it's holding up a session.

GargoyleStudio

Post by GargoyleStudio » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:03 pm

Yep +1 this needs fixing urgently please!

Mike.
[Win10x64 latest, Cb10.0 latest, MOTU PCIe, UAD2, Waves, Soundtoys, Arturia]

WillBthr

Post by WillBthr » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Reloading the project eventually corrects this issue for me but I agree. I don't think I had this issue until 8.5. This needs correction ASAP. The eLicense loading errors are equally as irritating. This need addressing ASAP. Had it forever.
MS Windows 10 64. Nuendo 1 - 3 / Cubase 4 - 9. HP I7-6700k, RME UFX, Lenovo Thinkpad Workstation W540, RME UCX, MS Surface Pro 4, Halion 5, RND 5033 & 5043, WaveLab 4-9, DMG EQ & Compression, Limitless RME ADI-8 2x, TAB 76m x2, Calrec PQ1061 x2, Ampex ATR-100 w/ LNP-2, Houston.

TKW

Post by TKW » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:20 pm

After writing yesterday I found another thread which says theyre working on this issue for a soon-to-be -released update.

I'll try and find a link later but it's reassuring

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:44 pm

TKW wrote:After writing yesterday I found another thread which says theyre working on this issue for a soon-to-be -released update.

I'll try and find a link later but it's reassuring
Thanks! , and yes please I'd love to read that link!
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

Grim
Grand Senior Member

Post by Grim » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:17 pm

I guess this is the post you're referring to.

viewtopic.php?f=226&t=92316&p=514390&hi ... ce#p514366
i7 5820k @3.7Ghz, 16Gb, W10Pro, Cubase 9.0x, Cubase 8.5.x, Audient iD22, Zoom UAC-2, Wavelab Elements 9.x, Nektar Impact GX61

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:52 am

I had this issue as well but it seemed to have fixed itself. I am on a PC and did a bunch of outstanding Windows 7 updates and it went away.

I also discovered that if you clicked on the fader and held the button (even if you didn't move the fader) the audio would come back but as soon as you let go, it would disappear again. The project did not exhibit the same issue in 8.0.3. So strange but it seems to be fixed now.

TKW

Post by TKW » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks Grim. That was indeed it.

alexis
Grand Senior Member

Post by alexis » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Thanks, Grim!

... I'm telling you today the 'silence on automated tracks' and 'flickering when using slice/pencil/line tools' issues are fixed in 8.5.10 ...
From a moderator in that post.

Additionally, someone else posted that they heard (read?) from Steinberg that 8.5.10 is expected to come out within the next two weeks or so. That is of course 2nd/3rd-hand info to me.

But all in all, very hopeful and encouraging, in terms of functionality and communication.
Alexis

-Cubase "Safe Start Mode" (CTRL-ALT-SHIFT)
-Get variable-tempo audio to follow a grid here,
-Replacing freely-timed section into a variable tempo project

Cubase 9.0.20; i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM; W10 Pro 64-bit on Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB; Seagate 1TB SATA 600 Audio; UR28M; Motif8; UAD-2 Solo; Jamstix 3.6; RevoicePro3.3; EZDrummer 2

tlockett

Post by tlockett » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:14 am

Mosaic wrote:There are some threads on this in the "Issues" section, which doesn't seem to be well-viewed.

On tracks with volume automation, they are now not playing any sound for me at all. I've never had this problem before, it just started today.

I'm working in 8.5. If I disable R automation, save and re-open the tracks all play as normal. If I turn Read on again the tracks with automation are silent. If I just touch the track fader with the mouse it sounds again, but on releasing the mouse the sound goes away again.

Even if I delete the automation track, I still don't get sound.

In my example its VST / soft synth Instrument tracks (I don't know if it same for other kinds of tracks).

Seems like this is an old issue, but I don't find anywhere a fix for it - can anyone advise?
Damn I'm getting this,and it,makes Cubase impossable to Mix in,this is really a drag,means I have to render all my tracks and export so I can mix in Pro Tools.
When is this going to get fixed?

SoundsLikeJoe

Post by SoundsLikeJoe » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:12 am

BAAAAH... buggered again by the automation mute. Been creatively blocked for days... no time, no ideas, etc.
Finally have a minute, open a project, and get an idea. Start play hit a chord... POOF... sound stops on that channel.

Keep this thread alive and hot with reports people. It's obviously on the list for a patch... but no reason to not report our "experiences" to the developers. :twisted:

mart

Post by mart » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:48 pm

alexis wrote:Thanks, Grim!

... I'm telling you today the 'silence on automated tracks' and 'flickering when using slice/pencil/line tools' issues are fixed in 8.5.10 ...

From a moderator in that post.
This is taken out of context. The moderator was saying he CANT promise the above as it might not be delivered when the software team deliver the update. However, I hope your right. Its a massive problem

Return to “General”