Clip Gain Improvements

+1. I am a heavy Pro Tools user for mixing as well as an occasional Cubase user (most all versions since late '90s) for composing. Clip gain manipulation in Pro Tools as the OP indicates makes manual de-essing, surgical noise removal, etc. extremely efficient. There is no messing about with slicing and dicing. As the OP’s graphic illustrates, it is extremely quick and offers a much more efficient workflow than any of the workaround tricks proposed in this thread. This is one of no more than a half a dozen items that Steinberg development could implement in Cubase that would rob Avid of a significant number of users of its PT base. The new 8.5 clicked a couple off the previous list.

It is important to understand I am not implying Cubase has to be a Pro Tools “clone”. As a long time PT user it wouldn’t take too many more features to make me jump ship to use Cubase for all ITB mixing duties. There are so many features in Cubase that mop the floor with PT, but the ability to edit and navigate audio clips is sorely lacking from a production workflow perspective. If Steinberg were to institute a concerted effort to do a usability study with experienced PT users as to what are the show-stoppers preventing them from adopting Cubase as their production DAW, the must-have list would be quite short. And, Avid is not sitting on there hands. Some major, cool features Cubase users have enjoyed for years just came online in PT over the past six months and recent weeks as they have moved to shorter feature release cycles.

To me what makes this protools feature powerful is not only the speed (which is really important) but the fact that all this automation is pre fader (so before any dynamics processing) and is visually reflected in the waveform (so its easy to see your changes). The problem with Cubases current clip gain system is the fact that you cannot draw nodes. It works fine for adjusting the volume between phrases where there is silence (split the region and adjust the gain accordingly) but as soon as you try use it adjust the volume of a word or note in a phrase, you will hear a very audible and unnatural jump because there are no ramps / nodes to smooth out the change at the cuts. Adding node ability in clip gain would fix this issue and make it much more useable IMO.

I wonder if a quick solution would be to code it so the PreGain automation (in the PRE section of the mixer) to reflect changes in waveform gain visually? Would there be any potential negative to using pre gain this way?

+1000

You can do this with Cubase. Just RTFM.

Bump

+1

+1, absolutely. I think this is the only Pro Tools feature that I’ve felt I would like implemented in Cubase.

• 1 +1 +1 +1 … please !

+1 Yes, I need that to. Very good function.

+100000000

An easy workaround for the jump automation in Cubase:

+1

…So this still has not been implemented? What is holding the developers back?

• 1 !

+1

+1

+1

PS. And this should also be applied to editing the automation lines…

+1

Yes, it’s the easiest workaround in the world! But! 1.Choose line tool. 2.Change it to pulse mode. 3.Draw the line. 4.Choose object selection tool. 5.Select the nodes. 6. Set the level you need.

or

1.Choose range selection tool. 2.Select region. 3. Set the level you need. 4.Choose object selection tool.

If you need to do it several times in row in case of workaround you’ll repeat 5 steps every time, in case of real feature 2 steps only.

Regards

Smart Tool > select range > drag volume-line up/down > Done!

For both Clip Gain and Automation Line :wink:

+1,000,000!!!