no signal from keyboard in cubase

Just to be very sure try enabling monitoring on the midi or VST instrument track. (the speaker icon next to the red ‘record enable’ button. It should turn orange)

I took my two pills, so here it goes;

1. check
    2.no buttons to push (but there is definitely midi going into the laptop, i checked with midi OX)
  2. no quite sure what you mean with input routing, but i think i did it anyways :slight_smile:
  3. i’m - again - not too sure, but i think i selected an instrument in Haleon Sonic SE (honky tonk piano)
  4. I watched the vid, but i guess this is for setting up the pads and knobs on the Akai keyboard. Do i have to do this before actually getting sound from the keys themselves?

6.did the monitoring part

All in al, everything produces sound now; the pianoroll, the keys on my laptop keyboard, the letterkeys in the transport panel. The keys from the Akai though don’t do anything so far.

Could i still be missing something in the midi device manager in Cubase or any other setting in the devices windows in Cubase?
test_3.PNG

To question 5: I don’t have your exact controller so I can’t give you specifics but, I would load all the software that needs to be loaded to get sounds from the pads and such. If you are already getting sounds from the Akai pads but not the keyboard then maybe the device is bad. Regardless, maybe a question to the Akai support staff is necessary.

My last few suggestions…

1. if connected to a USB hub make sure it is a powered hub.
  2. for the heck of it try using the Akai on an “instrument” track instead of a “midi” track (or vice versa).
  3. try a different vst instrument software instead of Halion Sonic SE if you have one.

Sorry I can’t think of anything else right now so I hope one of these helps.

Regards. :sunglasses:

Ok, i will try your suggestions over the weekend. thanks!

I just installed a demo version of Reason by the way. It took me under two minutes to get my midi keyboard producing sound. I’m just saying…

Yup…

Same thing has happened to me today…

My Keyboard work in all stand alone plugins… (Massive,Groove agent 4, FM8, Abelton 9, Reason 7, Reaktor)…
But not in Cubase 8.

Very Strange…

There is no midi activity at all…
Yet, My Akai MPD32, SparkLE,Midi Fighter and Panorama P1 all work fine…

Hello,

Boris, did you have any success with this issue? I am also stuck!

BR,

Are you guy using the AKAI MPK mini 2 with Cubase AI 8 by any chance? Could it be that this controller is not compatible?

Please let us know if you ever got it working.

I bought an M-audio Code61 midi controller in November and has still not been able to use the keys with Cubase. I am searching Cubase forums and M-audio forums, but has not found a solution so far.

After a lot of trials I finally started from scratch and reset my CODE61 to factory settings. Eventually it worked.

In case this may help other CODE61 owners, I made a list of actions you might try:

1. RESET m-audio CODE61 to factory settings: Press PAD OCTAVE + and PAD OCTAVE – while you power up CODE61.
  2. Select preset «HY-CUB» by pressing the up-arrow 5 times.
  3. Press the Button mode button once so all buttons become green.
  4. Press the Fader mode button once so the button becomes green.
  5. Press the Encoder mode button once so the button becomes green.
  6. Press and hold the SHIFT button while you press one of the Bank buttons twiceso the Bank buttons become green.
  7. Start Cubase
  8. In Devices  Device Setup, make sure that Mackie Control is listed under Remote Devices
  9. Click on Makcie Control, and select All MIDI inputs as MIDI input. Click Apply and OK to close the Device Setup window.
  10. In Devices  Plug-in Manager, verify that the path for the Hybrid plug-in is listed in the lower window (VST 2 Plug-in Path Settings).
  11. In Devices  Plug-in Manager, verify that the Hybrid_x64 is listed as an instrument under the VST Instrument tab in the upper window.
  12. Close the Plug-in Manager Window and create a new, empty project.
  13. Add a new instrument track, and select Hybrid-x64 as instrument.
  14. In the Inspector window, make sure that All MIDI Inputs are used as input routing, and Hybrid_x64 is used as Instrument.
  15. Verify that all of the transport buttons on CODE61 are working with Cubase.
  16. Verfiy that fader F2 on CODE61 can be used to control the volume of track 1 in Cubase
  17. Verify that encoder E1 on CODE61 can be used to control the panning of track 1 in Cubase.
  18. Start recording and verify that both the keyboard and the pads can be recorded.

Nice one! :slight_smile:

Yes I thought so, but the weird thing is that I can repeatedly do exactly the same steps, and some times it works - some times not. I have also observed that my CODE61 starts sending MIDI data to my computer, and after a while (few seconds to several minutes) the stream of MIDI data to my computer stops. So perhaps some other processes on my computer closes the MIDI port, or maybe there is a bug in the CODE61 software. I have had M-AUDIO support check my Cubase setup via Teamviewer, and it looked all right. Now I am using MIDI-OX and Bome MIDI Translator to monitor what happens.

Hello,

Then your computer is probably dropping the USB-MIDI device. Please read the following knowledge base article:

Best regards,
GN

Thanks for the suggestion, GN. I have disabled all power saving options, also for USB. But it does not help. Every time I experience that midi signals are being cut off, I search through all event logs to see what happened just before the cutoff. So far I have noticed that there have been some Notification Push activities, and I have som error messages related to the source “dbupdate”. I dont believe the latter is causing the sudden cutoffs of midi data, but I am not so sure about the Windows Push Notification Platform.

I’m having the same issue here with my AKAI MPK mini 2 but under Nuendo 7. Only difference is that I do have midi activity in the transport but no luck at making it control any vst intrument.
The keybord works in standalone apps, and under reaper but no success with Nuendo. I have check all the suggestion above still nothing works…
Anyone here had their AKAI MPK mini 2 work in any Steinberg software? I’m starting to think it is simply not supported…

If you have midi activity in the transport bar then it’s ‘supported’. Anything that sends midi is supported.
Did you go through all the things mentioned above? (enable monitor on an instrument track set to all midi inputs, make sure generic midi remote is disabled etc)

As far as i can tell, both are ok: Windows recognises my keyboard; the keyboard itself is supposedly plug and play, so no driver software was installed. Anyways, i will check this to be 100% sure. Thanks Guillermo for your reply.

Thanks to this thread, I was able to fix the problem I was having, the same one everyone else here had. I’ve not had much chance to use version 9 since buying it in December, so I was flummoxed when keyboard input wouldn’t register in Cubase like it always had before.

Hello All, I to have a problem with an Akai Mini. I have Cubase 9, Windows 7 and Steinberg UR824.

In the previous post it was stated the the solution was found. I have tried what I saw here but I’m still having this problem.

Any help as to how I can fix this problem would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, I’m replying to my own question but I believe I resolved it as mentioned due to the information I found in this thread. What I was missing was setting it up as a generic remote as shown in the post 'by boris df » 23 Jun 2015 19:04 ’

Thanks to all!!

Its easy. On PC just go to control panel>device manager>sound devices>select on your midi controller>update the driver from there.