Markernames unreadable in Sequoia

Hello,
strange issue in WL9.
A customer of mine complains that markernames appear “worse than cyrillic”, thus unreadable in his Sequioa (latest version, I guess).
Was there any change from WL8 or previous versions? Changing files with him was never a problem for years. It startet with WL9.

My workflow: I render from montage with the option “Marker übernehmen” (probably “include markers”).

Greetins
grello

WaveLab 9 has introduced an additional marker format (BWF), which is more "modern than the old one (RIFF). But you can choose which one you need. Try some the alternative, then.
2016-04-08_20-38-45.png

Thank you PG, I will check this.

Regards
grello

One extra question about this subject:

Wavelab warns you, if you turn “write markers i separate files” off. I wonder what the explanation for this is - isn’t it a good thing that the makers is “inside” the file…?

::
Mads

Nothing bad with the markers inside the file, but the RIFF formats has some limits. Eg. some fields like marker type and comments, are not official. The BWF format is better here. But if you edit/save the wav file in another application, then the extra marker data might get lost. If there is a separate marker file, the missing data can be recovered by WaveLab.

Thanks for a clear answer - glad to know this!

One final question: is there any scenario where ticking both BWF and RiFF formats would be meaningful, and is there any risk for conflicts between the two?

Mads

In my specific case (changing wavs with sequioa) it turned out that RIFF is the choice. BWF and BWF/RIFF together are unreadable.

Regards
grello

…so conflicts between the two can definitely be there…
Hopefully PG can shed some extra light on this.

Mads

In my specific case (changing wavs with sequioa) it turned out that RIFF is the choice. BWF and BWF/RIFF together are unreadable.

If you open in WaveLab a Sequoia file with BWF markers, does it work?

In theory, both RIFF and BWF can be used together, as there are independent, in the file header. Now, maybe Sequoia is not able to deal with both of them in the same time.

both BWF and RiFF formats would be meaningful

If your file is aimed to various softwares, which either recognize RIFF or BWF.
Again, BWF is a “modern” format, but not well known yet. It is the preferred format, except for its today reduced support.