Cubase 8 32bit and RAM (will it see 8GB?)

Never that easy. This situation came about progressively… not wanting to lose 32 bit plugins, driver concerns, the hardware/software you have today, your goals. Some maybe born of ignorance, I hold my hands up, less time to know the full details when you want to make a track. You know… what are we doing I.T. engineering or making music ? It has always been a walk between the two in my experience. Probably less so now than in years gone past.

It opens a can of worms, it always did and does… doesn’t it? I have a small 64GB SSD with 8GB left (The machine was built 4-5 years back and was not in high usage). Not a great size. It implies a new drive is soon required (I don’t know if 64bit plug ins and I use plenty, means more C drive usage ?) It has a bare minimum of space as it is. And I often have to shuffle data about to keep it clean and free to the tune of 8GB.

The machine works, it is stable. The issue is purely 32 bit memory address space.

I want to make music now. The I.T. can wait, I am at a stage where the main concern is making music being creative and I will have to workaround. This machine is for fun, something where I can get lost in the pleasure of music making. My day job involves listening all day and then making music at night or weekends has not been on the cards for 5-6 years or more. Time is ripe for creativity.

What I know now and has been said shouts… “New Music PC build with 64bit throughout” in forthcoming years.

I want to make music now, not be engulfed in I.T. and for what ? The unreachable dream of massive performance that is never realized. I am old enough to have been there and done it and it never happens quite as you expect.

I will run this PC till it dies and make some great tunes but in a way that works for how it is set up. It is still going to be hours extra to work around and not days and months compared with studio hire in the 80’s and 90’s, even compared to programming an archaic AKAI S3000 :laughing: . I think sometimes we lose ourselves in the future and do not realize what we have today.

Making music to me right now is more important than the chore of computers, that can be fun for certain but only when the time is right and for me that is not now.

This in no way diminishes the knowledge and help that has been provided to me, many thanks for all input.

Creativity First, remember.