Saving new, and backups - extremely slow

I don’t really do any midi

My npr is just under 4mb

here it is, http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10358449/FILM%2023.98.npr

It was created in N64, but I’ve also tested in 32 and it’s the same behavior.

I just can’t figure this out… I’m hoping it’s just something simple that I can avoid

The current save time on this file on my system is about 60-90 seconds

Hi Kid,

I just tested your .npr, and saving/save-as takes about 1 second here. (Loading the project from scratch takes 6 seconds)
One possible “problem” might be the ReVerence’s you are using. I got a “missing impulse” message (Block Inside_L), so that one wasn’t loaded. What if you remove ReVerence and/or the impulse from your project?

The one thing we have found that can slow down opening projects is when stuff that is located on other computers/discs/shares. For example, we have all our Speakerphone impulses on a common Share. When loading a project which uses Speakerphone, and by mistake the share is not up, the project can hang for minutes. But that is an OS problem.

Fredo

I’ve also had this happen on bad plugins, but this is not the case here though.

One thing that does look possible - you say it starts when you hit the “create initial parameters” in automation.
This could be the problem, as I believe (may be wrong) that this creates an initial state for every single automation possibility in the project!
To quote directly from another Nuendo Forum post - sorry, but I cannot remember the author (he will know who he is though, and I hope it’s okay to reprint this)

Set initial parameters will do exactly that… set a “return too” point on every automatable lane that exists in the project.
after that you can choose which types of lanes you want to view, if any, via the automation panel.

Set initial parameters working this way is important because you never know if you’ll be automating something you didn’t initially think of later down the line.
And if you use the preview function a lot like I do, it’s really handy.

If you want to do it one at a time and only the parameters you choose, in the future try this workflow…

\

1. When your edit is complete and your ready to mix - Write enable all tracks
  2. set automation mode to AUTO LATCH
  3. click TO START and TO END
  4. Enable PREVIEW double click all buttons to lock mode ( so lock appears )

Now you can spend the time you need getting your mix in a good starting position with levels, eq, plug settings, verbs etc
Then when youre ready and it’s time to start making dynamic moves…
5. while playing, click PUNCH - or - while stopped click PUNCH ON PLAY and press play

Lanes will be added and All of your initial values for any parameter you touched will be recorded from start to end - but nothing extra

1. you may want to switch automation modes at this point to something else… especially the start and end buttons.

Ever since I read this, I tried it & it worked well - so I copied it & saved to a file in case of future needs…
Hope it helps

EDIT.
I just loaded your template - very nice, BTW

I noticed that the problem becomes noticeable as much as I add new automation to the project.I did experiment: save small project (38 tracks with 256 total and 143 used files) as new one (it takes less than a second) and start to add automation on all tracks. It was just volumes, pans, sends and EQ bypasses. I simply copied first 6 minute (it is real length of working timeline) with files and automation using RANG SELECTION TOOL. I did it several times. With each time it takes more and more time. Last time I doubled 1h10m range and it takes about 3-4 minutes. The same situation with saving session. Last time saving process takes about 10-12 seconds and size of .npr increase to 15,4 Mb from 1,5 Mb. After all of this I just delete all automation in project and saving process return to about 1 seconds again.

I have NUENDO 5.0 / iMac / 3.06 GHz / Intel Core 2 Duo / 4 Gb 1067 Mhz DDR3

It is known and documented that automation “dots” are taking up much memory and resources. It is a hughe pile of data … Try disabling the “passes” as long as you can and use a proper reduction level (50%) of automation dots.
We are currently mixing a series with app. 100 tracks and a ton of plugins. The amount of automation data in these projects are massive, and our projects are not bigger than 6-7 MB. Loading is fairly fast, and is most slowed down by authorising iLok protected plugins.

Fredo

Somehow I cannot get the same result. PASSES are disabled. Size of project grows with each automation dot. In my previous project I have no PASSES but have AUTOMATION FOLLOWING EVENTS. It leads a mount automation dots after reediting session (after new video cut) because dots arise on borders of each event. One day size of this 1h45m project with 258 tracks reach mark 105 Mb, loading of it takes 3-5 minutes and saving 10-12 seconds. May be there is some way to avoid all that unnecessary dots on borders or way to delete all dots which are useless.

…and because my English far from to be perfect would you explain what does it mean :

use a proper reduction level (50%) of automation dots.

Go to the settings/preferences of the automation panel. Lower left of the automation panel.
If you can’t find it, consult the manual.

Fredo

Automation reduction doesnt do anything when reconforming a project. New automation data is created at every cut on every parameter regardless of the reduction setting, even where there’s no change!
And since there’s no way of reducing automation data after the fact in Nuendo this is a pretty big problem when reconforming. especially if reconforming all the reels of a feature in the same project. And that is really necessary to be able to rebalance between reels.

Go to the settings/preferences of the automation panel. Lower left of the automation panel.
If you can’t find it, consult the manual.
Fredo

Thank you, I’ll try

Well, that is pretty much unavoidable, no?
Or how would you want to preserve the automation data you already have written?

Fredo

May be there is some way to delete all dots which don’t make changes on automation lines. May be Project Logical Editor can help with it… I’ll try

I tried. Actually I cannot figured out how to delete useless automation dots in Project Logical Editor. Using Virgin Territory partly help in situation of multiplying number of dots with Automation Follow Events is On. Concerning r_eduction level (50%) of automation dots_ I opened settings/preferences of the automation panel and found that it is alredy 50%.

I’ve been away for the xmas holiday. Hope you all had a good one:)

I’ve just loaded the template I posted on my second system which is a Mac. I’ve added more tracks and more automation and the save time is considerably quicker. 4-5 seconds max. Compared to the PC which is averaging almost a full minute.

Fredo. Cheers for the IR suggestion, but this issue is happening on the PC whether I have plug ins set up or not.

Neil. I wrote that lol, Yes it’s fine to repost hah. Once I get this issue put to bed I’m going to make a few more tweaks to the session. I’ll send you a copy

I’m going to uninstall/reinstall on the PC and see what happens. If all is well on all of your machines and my 2nd machine… then it’s got to be something specific to my PC.

I’ll be perfectly happy with save times of 10 seconds or less.

Happy New Year everybody

Has anyone that has downloaded the template file tried adding to it… tracks or automation… and saving?

Let me know. The file that saved in 4 seconds on the mac is taking a little over 2 minutes on the PC…

Time for a new install

After reinstalling N5, the problem remains.

After disabling and removing all plug ins, the problem remains

After removing all media and audio, problem remains

after disabling and removing mackie control, problem remains

After saving to a new drive, problem remains

After removing all Jbridged plugins from the plug in info section, problem remains

After disabling the control room, problem remains

after removing all busses and routing, problem remains

SOLVED!!!

My IR’s were stored on my SFX drive. That drive goes to sleep when not in use.

The slow saves have nothing to do with anything other than that drive being in sleep mode.

Thank you Fredo

!!!

Congrats on the find.

I just wish I knew why a 10mb project takes 5-8 seconds to save.

Maybe it does a scan of what is different btw the last save and the new save.

now that my issue is solved, I’ve noticed that save as… take less time then a regular save.

I made an experiment:

I created new project 48 kHz 24bit, created empty event on mono track, created 10 dots on volume curves and 10 dots on each of three panners . Then I duplicated tracks to number 8 and duplicated events till 1 21:30:40:00. Quiet big project. After all of this I saved project and get 178,1 Mb as result.
Then I created project 48 kHz 32bit and made the same operations in it. The result was 151,3 Mb.
I don’t know why it’s happened. May be I made some mistake during experiment…may not… Anyone have an answer?