Dorico in the news: reviews, interviews, articles, podcasts (updated 2 Mar 24)

Mark Nowakowski of Community Digital News recently interviewed me about Dorico. The interview has now been published in two parts, and can be read here:

Part 1: American Wire News · America's Political News Service
Part 2: American Wire News · America's Political News Service

Here’s a behind-the-scenes video that introduces you to several members of the team and how we are working on Dorico:

2 Likes

A couple of weeks ago I travelled down to Bath to meet with Nick Batt of Sonic State for a preview of Dorico, which has been published today:

A few reviews and write-ups following Tuesday’s launch event are starting to appear: here are three that arrived yesterday.

Sibelius Blog: Dorico is here: a review (19 October 2016)

NewMusicBox: Some Thoughts About Dorico, The Morning After (19 October 2016)

Chamberlain Music Blog: Dorico – Where Great Things Begin (19 October 2016)
http://www.chamberlainmusic.com/blog/post/dorico-where-great-things-begin

I neglected to link to this when it was released a few weeks ago, but in case you’re interested to hear me banging on about Dorico again for 90 minutes, I had good fun with Sean Perrin on the Clarineat podcast:

Clarineat podcast: #40 Daniel Spreadbury on Steinberg’s new scoring software Dorico (7 November 2016)
http://clarineat.com/episode-40-daniel-spreadbury-steinbergs-new-scoring-software-dorico

Dave Walker has written quite a detailed review of Dorico on his blog, which you can read here:

Dr. Dave on Music: Dorico 1.0.10 Review

Christian Morris has written another entry in his (very) occasional Dorico diary:

Composition Today: Dorico Diary 2 – The good, the bad, and the unnotatable (10 January 2017)
http://www.compositiontoday.com/blog/402.asp

Last night at the American Film Institute in Los Angeles, I gave a presentation introducing Dorico to members of the Society of Composers and Lyricists, an association whose members are among the top professionals in the music business in LA, and Greg Ondo, our Field Marketing Manager for Steinberg in the US, gave a presentation of the new features in Cubase Pro 9. You can watch the complete video of the seminar here (settle in, it’s around two hours in length):

Dorico and Cubase Pro 9 at the Society of Composers and Lyricists (17 January 2017)

2 Likes

Mark Wherry has written a wonderfully in-depth preview of Dorico for the February 2017 issue of Sound on Sound magazine, running to 10 pages in the print edition. The complete text is only available to subscribers, but I strongly recommend you head to your nearest newsagent to pick up a copy of the latest issue to read Mark’s insightful article about our new application.

Sound on Sound Magazine Steinberg Dorico Preview (20 January 2017)

Mark Sealey has written an extensive review for MyMac.com, rating Dorico 9/10 and concluding:

Dorico is clearly the way in which complex and sophisticated music notation software is likely to develop. Its solid foundations are built on a deep and exhaustive understanding by the Steinberg team of how musicians really want to notate their compositions and arrangements.

MyMac.com Dorico Review (3 February 2017)
Dorico - Review - MyMac.com

Composer (and editor of New Music Box) Kevin Clark has shared his thoughts on using Dorico for his first major project on his blog. He says:

If you don’t have Dorico yet, go get it now. It’s great. And we, as composers, want to keep this team empowered to do great work at Steinberg for as long as we can.

Kevin Clark: First Dorico Project and an Orchestra Performance (1 February 2017)

1 Like

Mark Nowakowski has written a long review of Dorico for the site Communities Digital News. He says:

One could only wish that companies creating music software would be as open and available to user observations and suggestions as Steinberg has been with Dorico… the Dorico team is demonstrating that they are here to work for and with their new community, applying user feedback as promptly as possible to generate meaningful and powerful product improvements.

Dorico may indeed represent the powerful new frontier of 21st century notation software options, which means that every serious composer and arranger should be open to giving them a shot.

Communities Digital News: Dorico Notation Software: Was it worth the wait? (4 March 2017)

Dr George Hess has written a review of Dorico for School Band and Orchestra magazine. He says:

I give Dorico an A. It’s an exciting development in notation software and it will eventually be a great program.

School Band & Orchestra Magazine: DORICO - Steinberg’s Next Generation Notation Program (20 March 2017)
http://sbomagazine.com/technology/5732-dorico-steinberg-s-next-generation-notation-program.html

In today’s Metro newspaper in the UK, composer/conductor of the Heritage Orchestra and the Metropole Orkester, Jules Buckley, talks about Dorico:

Dorico is a new music notation software that’s an emerging rival to the industry standards. It’s simpler to use than something like Sibelius and my colleagues are raving about it.

Metro UK – My tech: Jules Buckley (13 July 2017)

Matt Vanacoro has reviewed Dorico for Ask Audio (the same review can also be found on MacProVideo and a few other sites), and he says:

Dorico is a real life ‘if I had to do it all over again’ moment for a software development team, and I think it will definitely speed up the workflow of most notators. I’m a huge fan of the speed, ease of use, and workflow enhancements of Dorico. I’m excited to see where Steinberg takes it next.

Ask Audio - Review: Steinberg Dorico (3 August 2017)

This week I was a guest on Kirk McElhearn and Doug Adams’s podcast The Next Track, which you can check out here:

The Next Track #83 (15 December 2017)
https://www.thenexttrack.com/♫-episode-83-daniel-spreadbury-on-music-notation-software/

1 Like

Read the first part of Alexander Plötz’s review of Dorico 1.2 on ScoringNotes.com:

The cueing feature introduced with Dorico 1.2 is nothing less than a game changer.

Dorico 1.2 review, part 1: Cues, new notation techniques and other improvements (5 December 2017)

Educator Dr Steven Berryman reviewed Dorico for Music Education UK:

I recommend taking a look at Dorico – you will be surprised by the intuitive nature of the ‘write’ process and will discover some possibilities that other software has not been able to do with such ease. The Dorico journey is not quite over yet and you might find some features that do not match the likes of Sibelius but, given time, I sense we are going to have an impressive software that is going to allow greater freedom in the composing process not only for those in schools but also those working professionally.

Review: Dorico (7 December 2017)
https://musiceducationuk.com/resources/review-dorico/

Flautist Carla Rees, editor of Pan, the journal of the British Flute Society, reviews Dorico on AboutFlutes.co:

My overall impression of Dorico is that it has been created with the user in mind, and that it solves many of the problems that Sibelius and Finale users have become accustomed to finding complicated work-arounds for. While switching programmes and learning a new interface is an investment in time, I have no doubt that Dorico’s intelligence and flexibility makes it worthwhile. Highly recommended.

Dorico: the future of notation software? (8 December 2017)
https://aboutflutes.co/dorico-the-future-of-notation-software/

Alexander Plötz returns with the second instalment of his Dorico 1.2 review for ScoringNotes.com.

Dorico 1.2 review, part 2: Fingering (22 December 2017)