Why we should support Dorico even with all of its bugs

I’ve been thinking of this matter a lot, and this is how things are.
Sibelius was discontinued.
Steinberg took the opportunity to re-hire Sibelius’ team, and decided to re-invent musical notation.
Over the 4 year development period Steinberg must have paid at least 2 million dollars a year in salaries, office fees, etc.
That means that as of yet, Steinberg is 8M dollars into this, and in fact, they probably invested way more than that.
If we all revolt, sway people away from buying Dorico, and so on, Steinberg will abandon the project. That will mean no Dorico. No other company would pick up the glove after such a thing since no other company wants to lose many millions.

Dorico’s team is the best, and Steinberg decided to give them a home, and funding. Dorico at its current state is not great, but we all know that the people behind can and will make it great in the future. That is of course, if Steinberg doesn’t decide to abandon the project. So, please all, let’s support Steinberg for their initiative, let’s support the team for their hard work, and let’s make sure Dorico becomes what we all expected it to be in the next few years.

1 Like

+1

From day one (as in four years ago) Dan and the team have done a wonderful job of welcoming us into their (new) world.
This release is an extension of that. Yes, there’ve been beta testers and there’s a team of full-time testers at the Dorico office, and yes (presumably to keep Steinberg happy) we’ve all had to pay to join in, but this is a chance for us, the users, to shape Dorico.

The Dorico team are welcoming us into their family - it’s a mutual relationship. We need to do a better job of welcoming them into OUR family.

I mean, how many other user forums have staff members (including the boss) pitching in after midnight on a Saturday?

+1!

+1

+1

+1

+1
Perfectly expressed.

+1

I purposefully did not take advantage of the crossgrade discount. There are no free lunches — and there are things worth spending money on.

Shift-B +1

+1

Same here, and I’m glad I did!

Agreed!

+1 Good on you who were able to pay full-price. The crossgrade offer allowed me to get in the door now instead of six months from now.

I bought Dorico the day it was released = pretty cool

Word!

I am really touched and humbled by the vote of confidence expressed here from all of you, but especially from those of you who have voted with your wallets by buying the full retail version of Dorico even though the crossgrade discount was available to you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

As I have said all along, and continue to say now, we will repay the faith that you show in us, and the faith that Steinberg showed in us by hiring us and supporting our work for four years without recouping a penny they have spent, by building for you the best scoring software we possibly can.

1 Like

I agree with the post’s headline (admittedly after a bit of anger yesterday). The team seems very responsive. So I will continue reporting my experiences.

With my best wishes for the further development

Frank

Saturday evening, and - as usual - Daniel is here!

I agree wholeheartedly with @MichaelSel’s post and the others supporting it.

May I suggest that there are actually three distinct issues here, which are being lumped together erroneously and negatives reached without good reason:

• 1 - ‘missing’ features. Yet it’s been made as plain as could be that Dorico will develop; it’s hard to see how this start cannot be regarded as one of the best starts of its kind in this area of software development and - given the history that we all know so well over the past four years - one highly likely to succeed. Does anyone really have any doubts that this will happen - with Steinberg; with Daniel?

2 - crashes (etc) peculiar or specific to reporters’ individual circumstances/operating environment. Mistake to extrapolate any broader defect from what is a specific set of circumstances: of course each user wants them fixed. But, again, is anyone in any doubt that that’s exactly what Steinberg staff is doing?

3 - crashes (etc) inevitable in a brand new - and extremely ambitious and sophisticated - product? Again, these are the things likely to get fixed first. To deny this is actually to doubt Steinberg’s and Daniel’s integrity - with no real evidence to do so other than bad will.

They each need to be treated differently. That’s really important. There seems to be a tendency to lump them together and condemn the whole enterprise. Please let’s not do that…

Hear hear!

You have until March 2017, so you still can (if memory serves from a quote from Daniel).