Tokens

Being able to put the Part Name in the header for each page (perhaps larger on page 1) makes lots of sense.

I expanded this topic into a request for an enhanced Engrave Menu (Request: Additions to Engrave Menu - Dorico - Steinberg Forums)… Hope you don’t mind, and thanks for inspiring!

Can I add a request of orchestrator (sp?) in the Project info. Some music (e.g. Pictures at an Exhibition) is written by one composer, then later orchestrated by someone else. I think that is different enough from arranger to merit its own subcategory.

Robby

Robby, I see your point but I think, given that the Project/Flow Info is responsible not so much for the recording of contributions by artists but for the function of inserting this information into the score, the Arranger field is sufficient for this task if noted properly, e.g., “orchestrated by Robby Poole,” unless an arranger and orchestrator are involved simultaneously (in which case, you’d be better off entering this text freehand in the frame anyway).

PS: Gosh, that was a long sentence.

I do agree Tony, the project info is really only for inserting information into the score. And I do agree that a work around does exist. My only thought was, if they have time, and if it’s easy to do, it would be nice to have it.

But in thinking some more about your post… I guess either way, I’d have to create a new text frame to add it into the score even if it was in the project info. So I guess you are correct… Whether I add a text frame that says {@projectOrchestator@} or “Orchestrated by XXXXX” really there is not much of an advantage to be gained by having it in the project info. Unless maybe there is some more things later to come with the Project Info?

Robby

Robby, I wonder if it would be too cryptic/cold/Vulcan to swap the Arranger field for three “Contributor” fields; that way, you can enter their info as needed, then insert tokens to best reflect their contributions, e.g.:

{@ProjectComposer@}
{@ProjectContributor1@}
{@FlowContributor1@}

becomes

Modest Mussorgsky
orch. Robby Poole
ed. Tony Ward

(I would not presume to edit your work, BTW) =)

You would not necessarily need a separate frame to add an orchestrator credit. Text frames can have multiple tokens on multiple lines.
frames.png

Tony and Derrek, those are great suggestions.

@Tony - I like it, because contributor could be a lot of things, and it gives room for additional things that I have yet to think about. For instance, I never even consider Editor as something that someone might want to add.

@Derrek - Very true, it would be easy to add it under the already existing token in another frame.

Robby

Another token I would like to see added would be Act and Scene. That way I can add token text, and Dorico would draw from the Project Info to add the information appropriately.

Robby

Could we please also have tokens for fileDate, fileName, filePath or near equivalents? Not just the composition date information from Project Info, but information drawn from the current file. I did find Print > Annotations > Date and time, but that offered no control over text styles or placement and also included the entire file path - which is an option I would want at some times but not at others.

For the existing date and time annotation, is there any control over its format? I’m currently seeing this “2016-11-11-093014” - which is the date format from my Mac OS System Preferences, but definitely not my preferred time format.

Thanks for the suggestions in this thread, more or less all of which are reasonable. We’ll see about things like act, scene, orchestrator, etc. in due course.

Michael, your requests for file/date tokens are also eminently reasonable and we’ll see about adding them in due course.

A small request, if possible: {@flownumber@} or something like this. A counter from the first to the last flow (automaticly). Thank you.

A request…

When creating a text box, could we have a «right click» listing of all tokens available ?

Please could we have {@projecttotalpages@} and {@flowtotalpages@}?
I like page numbers in the 2/6 format. It’s useful if this updates automatically.

These are on our wish list.

Another vote for a {@TotalPages@} token.

Could it be possible in future to add user-created tokens? ie: in the Project Info window, add a listbox that the user can add any number of custom token names, each with text entry boxes. That way users won’t have to post feature requests for tokens like “orchestrator” etc.

I’ll also drop a link here to my feature request thread for an improved Project Info window:

(Basic photoshopped idea for window layout)

I hope it’s ok to bring this thread back to the top, but I couldn’t find anywhere more suitable to ask whether it’s possible to code things like line breaks or italic text into the project info so that when you use tokens it would display correctly. For example, if the composer was Tallis, his dates are c.1505-1585 and the ‘c’ should correctly be in italics - I’d like to be able to code that into the Composer Dates so that when I use {@projectcomposerdates@} it displays it as (c.1505–1585); similarly, I’ve got a long lyricist which explains where the text has come from but I’d like to force line breaks in a particular place. Is this possible? I can’t find it documented anywhere, or anyone else trying to the same thing!

Thanks!
Steve

I don’t know how to get the result you want with italics.

For line breaks see: Line breaks in {@flowComposer@} - #4 by pianoleo - Dorico - Steinberg Forums.

Alternatively, I’ve had success simply formatting the line breaks I want in OpenOffice and then pasting the formatted text into project info fields.

Stew

I could not format any composer or lyricist field, and actually the other information field would let break lines without any problem, just with enter key. And no one from Steinberg has written anything about that, in the other thread that you cite…

The attachment shows what I got when I copied WordPerfect text to flowLyracist and OpenOffice text to flowComposer. I got similar results pasting to flowCopyright.

The thread I cited suggested pasting only the line break code from Word. I was able to create line breaks in several fields using this method too.

Stew