DAW based VR audio content production?

I’ve been working in the games industry for over 20 years, and VR is an interesting proposition; but it is true that it is still early days; I think we’re at the stage of ‘format wars’ where after a while, the dominant player will emerge with a couple of other platforms surrounding it; that’s how its often been with consoles as well.
But the technology, though it is improving leaps and bounds is still in its infancy.
I’ve had the chance to try out the Oculus, Morhpheus and Vive and the potential is fantastic; I just wasn’t sure whether the hardware was quite up to it yet (still all fairly low-res).
The other issue is that it requires a shift in game design, that (from people I’ve worked with) will take some time to master; how to best deal with the new interactivity, nausea, movement.
Everybody’s trying to come up with the game or app that will be a platform seller, and I’m not sure it’s there yet, but we’ll see…

What I’m interested in to know is what people feel they need in their tool set.
Some of the game audio will be spatialized in real-time, and so creation-wise would be done (imho) in the usual way.
Other stuff will be ‘pre-baked’ with hrtf processing or, as Tronic suggests, Ambisonics.
But what are the other features that people need?