Poll: Is the Lower Zone usable or a hinderance for editing

Yes, same here. Very usefull for quick edits across the project.

No C9 here - but I never liked the “lower zone” feature (SB obviously borrowed) in Logic Pro X.

It can’t be a hindrance because you can disable it.

Excellent point.

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: But why should I need to disable it. It should be configured exactly like I want it by default. :unamused:

I’ve disabled it for editors because I have an existing workflow with my 2 monitors… I can’t use the mixer because it doesn’t have the ControlRoom section… I haven’t had to use the sampler yet in a composition, nor the chord pads… I haven’t voted because you haven’t given me an option which says ‘I haven’t found a need for it yet’. Perhaps when I’m working on my laptop I’ll use it? So, it looks like it should be useful but I guess not in my workflow right now.

Mike.

I really don’t understand all the moaning about the lower zone. Its primary use is for smaller laptops and to put it on parity with Logic and StudioOne, if you don’t like it turn the thing off!! Im digging it

Really really like it. My workflow now much faster. Always using it on my 34" UltraWide 3440x1440 display.

Loving it so far. Not so much for the mixer which I put on a second monitor altogether, but for sample editing and MIDI editing it’s great! Very much like Ableton Live, in fact I caught myself hitting shift+tab earlier today to switch views by mistake (which is the hotkey for that in Live).

Single monitor user here, laptop or 24" inch monitor. Having used other DAW with the so-called consolidated window, I really like the lower zone. I size it as needed, then only open it when needing to made an edit, or set mixer levels for several tracks. Otherwise, I use the arrange window, now Project Zone wide open.

When I need a full screen key, score editor, or mixer, then I use key commands for that.

There should be a ‘I have no strong feelings either way’ option.

I’m not using it, but I understand why some might… what with all the talk about a ‘single window interface’.

Love it. Does exactly what I want for fast workflow in one screen situations. Wouldn’t want to work without it ever again!

What do you exactly mean? Do you need additional settings of any kind for the Lower Zone or what?

Time to get a tuneup on your snark detector. :smiley:

I was making fun of folks who complain about having to go through the horrible effort it takes to change a preference because the default isn’t the way they’d set it. :wink:

A tiresome, irrelevant waste of development time that could have gone into solving features that don’t work properly. Just my opinion of course. There is not enough space on a larger screen, so I can’t see how it could be useful on a small laptop screen. Luckily I don’t have to deal with it and it has gone…forever.

I turned it off as I can’t find a use for it that improves my workflow with 3 monitors.
I did create a key command for - create sampler track - when an audio region is selected this automatically brings up the sampler editor in the lower zone. Then I have to click the arrow in the top right corner to get it to open up big on one of my other screens in it’s own window which still doesn’t close it in the LZ.
I have preferences set to - double click opens editor in a window - but that doesn’t wotk for the sampler track. Am I missing something simple?

I agree with everything you have said. I think the software is worse off for it

I don’t hate it but i don’t use it. I will use it for the sampler though. Just not at that point in any of my projects.

You’d have to ask why the sampler wasn’t integrated into the vst instrument rack where it logically belongs.

The fact that you can see your notation screen under the project is great.

I should like to open the key editor in a full window by double click (default editor) whilst opening the score editor always in the Zone. I have not found a way, even using prefs.

Z

Not sure if that’s possible, since the Lower Zone always seems to open the Default MIDI editor that was set in Preferences | Editors on double click.
However you could assign a KC to Open Score Editor in Lower Zone.