feathered beaming

hi there,
i"m curious, how far away is “Feathered” beaming? (i.e. beaming that shows the direction of the tempo within the beamed notes, i.e. faster/slower – any workarounds in the meanwhile?

thank you!

It’s, surprisingly, already there - edit->beaming->create fanned beam (it does a nicer job than in S***** actually)

It doesn’t play back yet of course, but perhaps that is coming :question:

!!! amazing, thank you! :slight_smile:

Love the implementation of fanned/feathered beaming. As a (low priority) feature request, I’d love to see some extra options beyond “two lines” and “three lines.” Along with the 1:2 and 1:3 choices, could we add 1:4, 2:3, 2:4, and 3:4 combinations?

I know that seems absurdly fussy - and it probably is - but there are some circumstances where these might be helpful. For example, if a performer is playing a passage framed mostly in sixteenths, and then you want them to play an accelerating figure from that point, it is less confusing if the following feathered beams begin with two beams instead of only one. The latter can sometimes create momentary confusion as the player tries to determine whether or not they should first start the acceleration from the speed of eighths, or sixteenths.

Just a thought. Thanks SO much for the great work on Dorico!

I’ve made a note of your request for increasing the options for how many beam lines to show at each end of a fanned beam.

1 Like

One enhancement I would like to see is for the spacing to be different with feathered beaming - it would be nice if the program attempted to adjust the spacing of the notes so that they would be closer to the way a performer would play them, rather than having them equidistant.

one further request about fanned beams if you please –
the ability to have fanned beams in multiple directions AND still keep the top beam attached – i.e., have a run of notes accellerating, followed by a run of notes decellerating – all under one beam.
useful for long melismatic phrases which are performed in one breath, going in and out of time.

Thank you!

Dorico can do this already, using the ‘Changed fanned beam direction’ property.

1 Like

Thank you but I’m not sure if we’re talking about the same thing –

here’s the example of what I’d like to do:
dorico-fanned_beam_question.jpg
but I want all of these notes (except the last one) to be on one master beam.
unfortunately joining them together makes them lose the “fanned beaming” settings and just becomes this:
on_one_beam.jpg
(I’ve split out the secondary beams where I need to).

here’s what “change fanned beam direction” does:
dorico-fanned_beam_reversed.jpg
Thoughts?

thank you!

Right, I’m with you now. You can’t achieve quite the result you’re looking for because you can’t have a fanned beam on only a secondary beam group: the fanned beam will always occupy the whole beam group. But you can get closer than your example shows – see the attached.

Thanks, but how were you able to do this? How can I control the change fanned beaming direction over the large beamed group? I tried doing it, but only came up with the result screeenshotted above (3rd example).

Thanks!

All I did was select the fourth, seventh, and tenth 16th notes, and switch on the ‘Change fanned beam direction’ property for only those notes.

perfect - amazing - thank you!

Hi

I can’t seem to activate the feathered beaming as the ‘beaming’ option under Edit is greyed out. Can anyone help? I’ve tried selecting one single note, the whole passage I’m trying to feather-beam and nothing to see if I can access the beaming option, and it stays greyed out!

What mode are you in, Yo yo? You should find that the beam editing works in Write mode if you select any individual note within the beamed group. The notes should be joined by at least one beam line before you start.