hide cautionary clefs, keys and time signature

Dorico also says: Flows are separate spans of music that are completely independent in musical content.

See (Flows in Dorico)

One might quibble about the inclusion of the word “completely”, but I think this latter definition is a good one, and it is fundamental to the Dorico philosophy: all the cases above where users have asked for the ability to suppress cautionaries involve independent musical content, either because they are extracts from different pieces for a didactic work, or because they are separate sections (cues) of a film score.

An alternative approach would be to use a simpler program for printing a page of scales or whatever. Sibelius does this quite readily.

I seriously doubt that I would want to write an essay on a musical topic in Dorico, interspersing it with musical examples, and expecting to achieve this in one flow without cautionaries creeping in at the end of my music examples. I could solve the problem by using a new flow for each musical example, and that would be legitimate according to the above definition; but I would actually find it more appropriate to format the text of my essay with a program like Word (or better) and to embed the musical texts as separate graphics files.

Separate cues in film scores would also seem to lend themselves natually to the concept of separate flows.

As has been pointed out, it is quite possible to define a key command to start a new flow, so doing so doesnt seem to be that onerous a task.

David