First contact sci-fi sound and its remedy

Thanks for the upload, but couldn’t find any clue in there.

One thing that sprang into my mind though, well, we people that develop these things take so many things for granted and obvious, that of course for the users are not.

When you uninstalled Dorico, did you just uninstall Dorico or also all the other components (HSO and the lot)? Though of course the Dorico installer as such runs as one big blob, in fact, behind the scene are several separate product installers invoked. Since we also sell HSO as a standalone product, we have a separate installer for it. The Dorico installer triggers it’s own installer and that of HSO and other components.

I guess you just uninstalled Dorico itself, but not HSO, right? Then, when you reinstall Dorico it detects that HSO is already installed and won’t change anything in regards to HSO.

So I propose that you really uninstall everything that gets installed along with Dorico:

• First delete that folder C:\Users[name]\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine_64 again.
  • Open the Windows Control Panel, go to System > Apps & features
    – In the field ‘Search this list’ type Steinberg, that will show you all components that got installed along with Dorico
  • Click on each item listed and uninstall it, the order thereby doesn’t matter

That should give you a clean system. Then again, run the Dorico installer. No need to download the whole lot again. During the beginning of the installation, have a look when the installer says what it is going to install. It will list ‘Dorico’, ‘Components’, ‘HALion Sonic SE’ and ‘HALion Symphonic Orchestra’. Check that behind each item is written ‘Will be installed’ and not ‘Already installed’.

Again, sorry for all the hassle. Wished I could spare you from this.

Cheers,
Ulf