VSL and 1.0.30

Doing some try, it looks that the «default» articulation with VSL SE is always «pleg»…

Usually it is «sus»…

I use current Cubase Expression Map !

So ?

You should be able to use VSL Event Input instances to map onto channels beyond 1-16, as I understand it. We will make it possible to access the channels beyond the first 16 in Dorico in due course.

Channels 10-16 don’t show correctly in the Dorico Play view, but it does work correctly. See this thread: Aria player and more then 9 midi channels not working - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

For more Chanels just connect to another instance on VEP, or use the Event input if you must have more than 16 channels in one instance…

I am successful in connecting Dorico to VSL, and most of the articulations seem to do something. However, hairpins seem to do nothing at all. Is there a way around this?

One thing to remember: VSL, by default, uses CC11 rather than CC1(«modwheel») for continous dynamics. CC1 is used (by default) for vertical navigation in VI(P) matrices…

Where sus lives in the matrix varies between VSL instruments /libraries. Make sure the Natural technique in Dorico points to the correct cell. (Last time I tried the Cubase xmaps were a mess, requiring considerable cleanup/modification)

Are you on Mac?

Can you map CC1 to CC11 in Dorico ?

Thanks
Do you mean that the 30 articulations of VSL Solo violin are handle by Dorico ?

Not as such, but you don’t have to. Take a look at the attached screenshots, which shows the VSL Solo Violin Preset Level 1. It consists of 3 matrices mapped to midi keys 36,37,38. The cell you want to reach is in red, sustain vibr marcato, living in matrix 2 at the 2nd horizontal position.

The next screenshots shows how the Expression map in Dorico will look like for reaching this (red) cell…

Not every playing technique in Dorico will trigger at this time, but the basic ones certainly do (arco, legato, pizz, stacc., spicc., tremolo … ) Later on, especially when we can define our own techniques, it should be possible to utilize the power of VSL to a much larger extent. I also get the impression that the Dorico team will try to implement some level of humanoid choices, like Human playback in Finale do. (E.g. calculate from the note value and the tempo the duration of a note (marked staccato) in milliseconds, and if it falls below a threshold (fixed) the technique Spiccato will be sent, if it falls above Staccato will be sent.)

Sorry but you need to, how are you going to give expression to the instruments if CC1 is used to control the matrices .
In the Dimension instrument the matrices have 3 dimensions

Is there is a list of expressions handle by Dorico

That will be great, but it has to be added to the score, so we can edit it

Best

Cyril

You use CC11. Note the green markings in my screenshots…

Hi, here I am again.
I still have a lot of trouble with connecting instruments in Dorico to channels in VEPro. No proper Midi connection.
Sometimes one or two instruments work, then others don’t. Daniel wrote: “There have been no specific fixes for VSL”.
Is this one of them?

Hi Gerrie,
that sounds odd. I just tried it, and it works as expected. So we need to find out where it goes wrong for you … this is what I do:

1. start the VEP Server.
    2)add an Instance to it (and give it a name) and add as many channels of Vienna Instruments as you need to that, setting them to all to receive input on Bank/Cable 1 (VE PRO Plugin MIDI In 1) - Channel 1, Bank 1 - Channel 2, Bank 1 - Channel 3 etc. etc.
  2. Start Dorico and add your instruments. In Play mode replace Halion with VEP. All players should get their endpoint updated to VEP maintaining their Midi Channel.
  3. Click the ‘e’ button (upper right under VST Instrument) on Vienna Ensemble Pro. The CONNECT window will open. Now connect to the VEP Instance you created under 2)

Now everything should work. VEP will send Stereo back to Dorico on channel 1/2. If you want to mix in Dorico set the outputs for each channel in VEP to unique pairs.

fratveno!,
Thanks for the help. I did what you pointed out exactly and everything worked (I added ten players of woodwinds). Even after inserting the Cubase expression maps for VEPro instruments, everything was ok!
But then, after adding a next instrument in VEPro (violin) on midichannel 11 and trying to connect a new instrument in Dorico, there is no connection. Strange enough when changing a working instrument in dorico to channel 11 the VEPro instrument does react on midi. You don’t hear the audio though, while the VI on channel 11 gives VU and the track goes to the same output as the others.
It looks like you first have to set up everything in Halion before switching to VEPro to let dorico make the right midi/audio connections
Is it possible to work with several Midi Ports also? In Nuendo you can choose the Ports per track. That is not possible in Dorico I guess. More instances or Event input?

Fratveno :
How do you use CC11 in Dorico ?

Best

Cyril

When adding more instruments, Dorico will not assign the endpoint (VST) and Midi Channel automatically, so you have to click the small arrow all the way to the left in Play mode, open the instrument/player pane, and set the VST and Midi Channel manually.

The VSL Event input works, so you can route more than 16 channels to the same instance on the server. Although I haven’t tried it myself, I’m sure you can also add further VEP banks and connect those to their own instance on the server.

In the middle of the Expression Map dialog there is a pane named Volume Dynamic. You click the button labeled Control Change and enter 11 in the text box. You have to do that for every playing technique in all Expression maps you use for VSL.

You don’t HAVE to use CC11, but then you HAVE to modify the settings in the Vienna Instruments player.

It’s pretty easy to do a global find and replace for the Volume Dynamic.

In Play mode go to expression map setup:

Import the Cubase expression map
Export that as a Dorico Library file
edit the Dorico file:
Find and replace all entries that match “param1>0<” with “param1>11<”
Find and replace all entries that match “kNoteVelocity” with “kCC”
Import the edited Dorico Library file in Play mode