Keyboard shortcut preference

Michael, I certainly do not disagree that efficiency of note input is an extremely important point, but I think you are missing my point: most keyboards don’t have a numeric keypad. No Mac laptops have a numeric keypad. No Mac desktops ship with a keyboard with a numeric keypad. Most Windows laptops do not have a numeric keypad. Therefore most users do not have a numeric keypad. Because most users do not have a numeric keypad, we have designed our note input shortcuts to make use of the keys that users do have, which are the keys on the main keyboard.

I personally can reasonably reliably type note durations, accidentals and articulations on the keyboard of my MacBook reasonably fluently when using a MIDI keyboard, though I concede that I have had longer to learn this than you have. I do need to glance at the keyboard from time to time, but I don’t find this at all problematic, since the keyboard and the display are very close together on a MacBook, and I do like to look at the screen from time to time to see what I am doing…

Cards on the table: the current default note input shortcuts are not up for grabs. We’re not changing them. But we strongly encourage users who find the default shortcuts less than ideal to customise them. That’s why it was possible from the very first version of Dorico that we shipped in October last year to customise them.