Serious Cubase 9 VSTi Timing Problem (Bug Report!)

Well, Steinberg support (now?) says not to use ASIO4ALL. So, I did another demonstration using a 1st Generation Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 as the audio interface – with nothing “looped back”! I used a Roland TD-15K Virtual drum (V-drum) as a synchronized audio (via its audio out) and MIDI (via its USB connection) source. As shown in the following pictures, everything was recorded live as I repeatedly hit one of the V-drum pads. I then selected two recorded samples to compare the timing of the VSTi MIDI note recording and the VSTi audio output. Consistent with all previous findings, there was far more “jitter” in the delay of the VSTi audio output (18 ms) than in the VSTi note recording (1ms). This again supports my claim that there is a Cubase software problem with the timing of triggering of the VSTi rather than a MIDI timing problem.

The ~13ms delay in the MIDI recording from the TD15 audio recording suggests that the 6i6 over-reported its input latency by ~13ms at its “20ms” buffer size at 48k Samples/second. I’ll verify that if/when I get around to it. :slight_smile: