Recording an orchestra

ColinPark, intriguing idea. I wonder if there are any recordings done this way on the web.

The one time I had the opportunity to sit in the control room of a classical recording, I was quite amazed. We were actually in a room several floors above the recording room, and everything was connected via MADI. The recording engineer, who was also going to produce the mix, had set up channels for a Decca tree (three mics), several mics around the room for atmosphere, and spot mics on every section by the first chair. He had his favorite preset on the giant digital board (Lawo). The recording itself was captured in a laptop using ProTools. The control room had a large TV in the front flanked by two giant speakers and a center channel speaker underneath the TV. There were also two rear speakers and a subwoofer. The sound was the most realistic I’ve ever heard. I wish that was my home system!

The conductor came up after the session and reviewed the recording, making a suggestion here or there about highlighting this or that section. It was done in real time right there, and the job was finished.

I suggested to the engineer/mixer (tongue in cheek) that he could probably improve the recording with some Steven Slate analog plugins, which made him laugh. It is apparent that classical music, film scores, and TV are well beyond the analog vs. digital arguments.