9.0.20 experience so far?

1. Right now I have 7.5, 8, 8.5 and 9 on this installation together and have no big issues like crashes or performance issues. I sometimes have sessions of 8 hours or more and have had no crashes since the installation of the latest 9.0.2 update. With 9.0.1 I only had crashes sometimes when closing Cubase, but that was after everything was already saved. So it’s not always necessary to have to reinstall your OS and Cubase.
  2. You can close the left (inspector) and right (Instrument Rack/Media bay) zones with a key command to gain more workspace and only have it open when you actually need it. And you can use the transport in the lower zone which takes up less space in the workspace view.
  3. People will always report problems also with former versions they did. By nature Cubase is a complicated program and with lots of third party plugins installed it becomes unpredictable how a certain sum of software applications will behave. Some things have pretty straightforward solutions others may not but most of the time there is one and if not updates most likely will fix it. It shouldn’t keep anyone from starting to use Cubase 9.
  4. Also this should not stop you from using Cubase 9. Most of the time there are already alternatives in Cubase’ own included plugins. But there’s a whole universe out there with very good and reasonably priced plugins that can do exactly what you are looking for and sometimes even more.

The above looks like an ad for Cubase but this is not my intention. I just want to point out that not everyone has all the issues you read about on forums. A lot of issue that people post on forums are user issues anyway. Badly configured computers, interfaces and a lack of technical knowledge of the hardware and applications they use. And in their frustration they blame it all on Cubase because in Bitwig or Reaper they didn’t have these issues. Well try switching from Cubase to another DAW and I can promise you you’re also going to have issues. If not technical it will most likely be that you’re missing functionality these other DAW’s don’t provide.

Using a DAW is like being in a relationship. You have to put in time and effort to make it stable and reliable. You don’t abandon it the minute you encounter issues. And believe me I’ve known some pretty rough times with Cubase. But I never actually got to the point where I couldn’t see a solution anymore. And if you’re really hopeless there’s always this forum to help you through the hard times. :slight_smile: