Non-parallel raised dotted 8va line

Hey there!
Can Dorico achieve this kind of 8va notation (see attached image)?

Thanks!
Albert.
Captura de pantalla 2017-01-07 a les 23.38.21.png

AFAIK Not yet.

Ok, thanks, Derrek! :slight_smile:

It can, in fact, though with some limitations at present. You create the octave line as normal, then you select the note that is considerably higher or lower than the other notes under the line, and choose from the Edit menu, or the context menu, Octave Line > Make Corner. You may find that nothing appears to happen immediately, but try e.g. repitching the selected note up and down again with Alt+up/down arrow and you should see that the octave line now shows an appropriate corner.

That’s right, Daniel! Thanks!

And… how can I achieve something similar with a “descending” line (third measure in the attached image)?

Thanks!
Albert.

Change the rest to a note in the second measure. Add corner, repitch the selected note. Delete the selected note. Not sure why but doing this on the note in the next measure doesn’t work if there is a rest there.

Wow, thanks, dbudde! :slight_smile:

I love this forum. I check every day. It fascinates me to learn these types of things, even if I don’t anticipate a need to use them in the near future. Who knew you could finagle to get such a result? Looks awesome too. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love Dorico. Always full of surprises.

What’s “Make Angled” for? I would’ve thought that was the right command for these examples.

Make Angled makes the line itself angled, instead of putting a corner between horizontal line segments, if memory serves.

It’s difficult to use this function. In the attached example the corner goes the wrong direction. What I’m doing wrong?
Bildschirmfoto 2017-05-26 um 11.06.02.png

I agree that this is not as straightforward as it should be (and I hope we will improve this in future). In your situation, I would recommend temporarily raising the pitch of the note at the start of the second bar in your screenshot by two octaves. Then select the following note, and add an angled corner there. This will have no visible effect until you then restore the original pitch of the note at the start of the second bar, and you’ll get a result something like the attached.

Thank you very much!

Will there be a further development of the octave lines in version 1.2?
Often I’m unable the get the desired result. Or it costs me a lot of time.

Not in Dorico 1.2, no.