dorico midi latency

Hi Folks,

I have searched the FAQ’s till I’m blue in the face but can’t find an answer so my apologies if I have missed a link somewhere.

I just downloaded the trial of Dorico with a view to moving from Sibelius, which I have been using since 2000. (Currently 8.6) .

All up & running and getting familiar with the interface. Only problem I have found is a latency of about a quarter second when playing notes from my midi keyboard (currently Kronos via usb midi). This on both the generic driver & my ASIO soundcard driver. Is this normal? All fine with Cubase Pro 9 and Sibelius 8.6 etc. Checked Halion player & everything else that I can find with no joy.

Any ideas?

BW

Jeff :confused:

If I remember correctly, this is due to a bug that was re-introduced by accident in version 1.0.30. I would be very surprised if it isn’t fixed in the next update :slight_smile:

This wasn’t reintroduced in Dorico 1.0.30 – it hasn’t been fixed yet. The problem is that we can’t just echo the note that you played on your MIDI keyboard the moment you play it, because it might need to be transposed (e.g. by an octave for a piccolo or a double bass, or by another interval for a transposing wind or brass instrument), so at the moment, you have to wait for the note to be processed by the note input command, and then it gets echoed back to you, which is often perceptibly later than it should be.

We have indeed fixed this in advance of the forthcoming Dorico 1.1 update, and everything will feel much better once you’ve got that update.

Glad to know it’s been fixed, SORRY for calling it re-introduced - it was probably meant to be fixed for .30 and then didn’t make it. I’m only human(ish)… :slight_smile: ( Steinberg Forums )

Thanks chaps for your replies & info.

I thought I’d missed a trick there!!

So - moving slightly sideways - I was really hoping to move over to Dorico before the ‘Crossgrade’ price goes up in a month, however it looks like I will still have to use Sibelius for my jazz & ‘non straight’ stuff.

So, ‘Ball Park figure’ What will the crossgrade cost in, say, a year when Dorico catches up?

Best wishes

Jeff

If the only thing keeping you from using Dorico is the latency of input via your MIDI keyboard, you should go ahead and buy the crossgrade before the offer expires, since the forthcoming update, which will be with you before the end of June, includes that improvement.

I will second Daniel’s suggestion that Jeff buy the crossgrade now while the price is lower. The improvements which have been coming with the 3 updates which have been released so far have been huge, and with the imminent release of 1.1 sometime before the end of June there will be many more great improvements. Even if Jeff continues to do the majority of his work in Sibelius while learning Dorico (that’s what I’ve been doing), getting in early on the less expensive current cross-grade offer makes sense.

Nobody can predict what the price will be in a year, so jump in while the price is low.

And, for what it’s worth, if you can afford it, it is a nice way to support the Dorico “cause”. You can consider yourself an investor if you like. You’ve always got your fall-back program until things are quite the way you like. I’ll also mention that with many different things, there are plenty of ways to get the results you’re after, it just sometimes involves a little ingenuity until everything is natively supported.

Thanks for all your comments folks.

Looks like I have 3 weeks to make up my mind! lol!

Best wishes

Jeff

Hi Folks,

One more question - because I am still ‘on the fence’ as to whether to go for Dorico. I have recently retired so my music work is literally just for my own stuff now. This is, of course, influencing my financing thoughts somewhat, bearing in mind that I am going to have to renew the annual Sibelius licence at the end of the month in any case.

So all I really want to know is - What will the crossgrade price go up to after the current offer ends at the end of the month? Or - are Steinberg actually doing away with the crossgrade deal altogether?

Sorry to be a pain but it’s quite important to me.

Regards

Jeff

Jeff, I think this basically has to do with two things… 1) What are you planning to write over, say, the next two years, and 2) do you have faith in Dorico from what you’ve seen so far? Personally, I reckoned that the release of Dorico was probably my last chance in life to witness a major development in music notation software, so I blindly decided to support it, and learn it, from day one. While I’ve never, for a second, regretted that, I was, from a productive and professional viewpoint of course disappoined. I had expected that it was a lot more feature complete than it was. Actually, although I’ve used it a lot, learning it, testing it, exploring it, I have not yet been able to use it for any of my professional work. E.g, if I had ventured to prepare a set of orchestral parts without cue notes, my clients would have turned their back on me instantly. And only yesterday did I see a new quite simple and mainstream score excerpt by a british composer on Twitter that was nicely typeset in Finale, but which probably will be impossible to replicate in Dorico for quite some time still… but from my experience with the program itself so far, I remain fully convinced that Dorico will develop into a must-have-for-all notation program rather soon. (given that Yamaha/Steinberg keep the cash flow coming of course, but that’s beyond the point)

Everything is relative, and personally, I’m forced to spend more money on petrol every month than the full cost of a Dorico license, so it’s not really an issue.(yes, I AM considering an electric) But since the music notation software community is rather small, by any standards, I would think that for Steinberg, and the Dorico team in particular, EVERY purchase is important, if not financially, at least morally…

Jeff, from what I’ve read the cross grade offer ends June 30. There will be the next discover Dorico session on the 29th which will no-doubt delve into the new features in depth and help you decide. It will likely be a white-knuckle 24 hours though!

Hello guys,

I am experiencing this issue in Dorico 3.5.1. The MIDI input audio has delay, and considering that I write most of my music with MIDI keyboard, it is a bit frustrating.
My setup is a CASIO px-760 and a top of the line 2019 MacBook Pro.
Any suggestions as to what could the problem be?

Thanks!

Can you give a little bit more information about the precise nature of the MIDI latency you’re experiencing? Is it when echoing notes outside of note input? Is it note input itself? If so, is it step-time input, or real-time recording?

Sinakr, for what it’s worth, your experience is not the normal one, so there is likely a solution. I can tell you that I run Dorico parallel with a large VST instrument with roughly 28gb of samples loaded into ram and I have no latency whatsoever, and that is on an older iMac from 2013. There must be a wonky setting or something that needs a new driver on your system. (Long story short, there is reason to hope.)

Probably audio latency, not MIDI. What are you audio settings?