Smaller updates more often?

I was once on the receiving end of a very critical review of our company’s performance by a major customer, and one of their repeated criticisms was “You guys never have enough time to do something right, but you always find time to do it twice to fix it”.

Another notation package declared a change of policy to releasing updates in smaller increments, and more frequently. Leaving aside any differences in their interpretation of “more frequently” compared with what the customers might have thought it meant, the general result seems to be that a new release fixes a bug introduced in the previous release, and creates a new problem unrelated to the declared new features. And the new features might not be of any interest to a particular individual, of course. The result is that users can waste more time going sideways and backwards than moving forwards.

At least that’s one mistake that the Dorico team isn’t making, so far as one can judge from the new features added so far!

I don’t have any problem with that fact that in a ideal world I want everything I need RIGHT NOW. I also don’t have any problem with the fact that this is the real world, not an ideal one!