Cubase for Linux

General discussions on songwriting, mixing, music business and other music related topics.
Post Reply
esaporski
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by esaporski » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:36 am

+1 for Cubase on Linux.
It's funny to see people talking about how not a lot of people use Linux nowadays.
I *cannot* do my work on Linux because Cubase doesn't run on it. So that's why not a lot of people are using it and are using Windows/OS X.
Now I can do most of my gaming on Linux, so if Cubase worked on any distro, I would not be using Windows/OS X anymore.

How can Linux get more users if people are not willing to port their software to it?

User avatar
Raphie
Senior Member
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by Raphie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:37 am

Currently only 3% of the daw users do their thing on Linux
They do it with Ardour, Bitwig, Reaper and MixBus.
44% of the daw market is MacOS and 53% is windows
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

esaporski
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by esaporski » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:44 pm

Raphie wrote:Currently only 3% of the daw users do their thing on Linux
They do it with Ardour, Bitwig, Reaper and MixBus.
44% of the daw market is MacOS and 53% is windows
But why?

Almost all VSTs, audio related tools and interfaces work solely on macOS and Windows.
I don't know how many times I've heard people saying they "would ditch some OS if some app worked on Linux" (myself included).

I think it was a smart move from Steinberg releasing the VST SDK with Linux support.
DO IT, Steinberg! Cubase on Linux :D

Kotsamanidis
Junior Member
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:32 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by Kotsamanidis » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:42 pm

I don't really mind Windows or OSX, I use them both and I think they're great, but I also use Linux and I can very much see the sense in using something that customizeable, secure and streamlined for a DAW over anything else.

Linux works on more hardware than either Win/OSX, it's lighter and faster, more secure, and it can be tailored completely to the task of being a DAW on the kernel level. All it really needs is a better designed IO standard like ASIO, professional grade software like Cubase, and professional grade plugins from VST developers.

I think we just gotta wait till the 2010/2012 Mac Pro is no longer supported by MacOS, then we might see more people in our field who want to give their $15,000 investments another chance via Linux. Granted I was in a studio just a little while ago that was still on OSX Lion/PT9/Cubase 6 so a lot of us do have that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality, but sooner or later everything breaks or shows its age.

Anyway I've been using Bitwig in Linux for a while. It works great for what it can do, but it's very limited and I cannot use it to the same capacity as Cubase, and not just because of the plugins either, I need something like ASIO or Core Audio because JACK doesn't cut it.
--Andreas

Magic-Music
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:14 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by Magic-Music » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:16 pm

Another +1 for Linux.

My studio pc runs on Windows 7, Cubase 8.5. At work I use Opensuze Linux.

I bought a new laptop for mobile recording. £600 Dell with a touchscreen (yay for the mixer screen!) - but it came with the Windows 10 virus installed on it. Despite my best efforts (35+ years in IT) the damn thing still insists on rebooting when it likes, and generally behaving badly. So i decided to roll it back to Windows 7. Nope - won't install, it's missing some drivers required for the installer. I went to the Dell website - no Windows 7 drivers will be made available.

It would appear I now have no choice. I refuse to carry on with this spyware that M$ have introduced, so my laptop is now running Linux. If Cubase isn't ported, I'll be moving to a competitor - which means I won't be buying any more updates to Cubase, nor will I be investing in Dorico. I don't suppose I'm the first user that's abandoning the Windoze platform because of W10, nor will I be the last.

In a nutshell it's not just the existing potential Linux userbase that Steinberg should consider, but also existing users that they will lose because of M$'s actions.

User avatar
Antonio Escobar
Member
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by Antonio Escobar » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:45 am

Cubase runs pretty underpowered in OS X, maybe they should improve this before having new OS in the game.
Antonio Escobar
Site: http://www.antonioescobar.es
IMDB: http://www.antonioescobar.es/imdb

---
Nuendo 10.x / Cubase 10.x
Hackintosh i9 10 cores, 64 GB RAM
MacBook Pro 2017 16GB RAM, OS X10.13.6
RME Digiface Dante, RME HDSPe RayDAT, Steinberg UR824, Steinberg UR242, DAD AX32, 2x Behringer X32 (MADI and Dante)
Native Komplete Kontrol/Maschine, Waves, Softube, etc, etc, etc.
Dozens of analog synths and external hardware.

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by soundpeaks_net » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:57 pm

I would give up kidney for this:
  • Cubase for Linux
  • Cubase (parts of code) in Rust - for stability
  • Crossplatform abstraction to make it solid everywhere (like other cross-OS software that works just perfect)
I think Linux is in the cursed circle: no software - no users - no software :evil:

esaporski
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by esaporski » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 pm

soundpeaks_net wrote:I think Linux is in the cursed circle: no software - no users - no software :evil:
Yeah. People are not willing to port their software to Linux because Linux doesn't have many users, but Linux doesn't have many users because people are not willing to port their software to it. :roll:

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:11 am

People have been asking for DAWs on Linux for like decades. Ain't gonna happen.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

esaporski
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by esaporski » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:26 am

MattiasNYC wrote:People have been asking for DAWs on Linux for like decades. Ain't gonna happen.
Why do you think it's not gonna happen? The number of games for Linux are rising since last year.

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:18 am

Because us professionals that pay for everything and get paid for everything kind'a need "everything". So I need Nuendo, but I also need everything from Izotope RX to Exponential audio plugins, to office apps to browsers to Aspera download secure file transfer clients, to SourceConnect and others and messengers etc. I don't need almost all of the apps I use, I need all of them. And I'm just an independent post engineer. Now imagine a facility with several rooms. Simply multiply the amount of people that need the stuff, and then add more software (most likely), plus the requirement to reliably support all of that.

The problem is that people like me aren't going to switch to Linux to get only part of what we need hoping that maybe the rest will follow, and post facilities most certainly won't. So who's going to start buying these plugins so that there's support for Nuendo / Cubase?

This market isn't particularly big. Certainly smaller than gamers. People haven't bought "anything" pro-audio for Linux for decades, so let's turn the question around:

- What is the argument you would make for ANY software developer that they should port their software over to Linux?

Remember, the market isn't there yet.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

ColinPark
Member
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by ColinPark » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:22 am

What is the argument you would make for ANY software developer that they should port their software over to Linux?
They don't have to. Microsoft office is replaced by Libre Office, Windows Media player is replaced by VLC player, Photoshop is replaced by Gimp, Illustrator is replaced by Inkscape, Internet Explorer is replaced by Firefox, and so on. The pattern isn't that money people port their software to Linux, but the other way around. Open source people port to Windows. Mac is already Unix under the hood, so that one is easy. As these apps surpass the paid versions and come into fashion, the point of having a Microsoft OS vanishes. It mostly offers inefficiency and vulnerability to viruses. The fate of paid software is not to be ported, but to perish under the onslaught of open source. Mostly.

Then there's the Wine project, which will eventually be the only way to run older software designed for Windows ME, or XP, or whatever. But it still has a long way to go.

When it comes to DAWs and games, the open source model is much less viable. Whereas most software is developed by people who need it, games and DAWs are developed by people who don't need them, and used by people who don't have time to develop software. This is more true of DAWs than games. I developed software for many years. I could spend hours developing plugings, optimizing the kernel for audio, upgrading Audacity, and so on. That would leave me no time to create music. If I'm not going to be paid for something, I'd rather it be music than software. It amazes me that Audacity exists at all. I doubt it will rise to the level of Cubase in my lifetime.

So i agree with Mattias. There would have to be an industry wide decision to support Linux. The open source business model is not suited to DAWs and plugins at this time, and quite possibly it never will be. The problem is getting paid. Some have suggested the Steam model. Together with existing support for the Mac, there might be an opening there. But does this really increase sales? Maybe when Linux is becomes more widely used. Which is not soon.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 10.0.40], HALion 6, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet; Ozone 8 Adv, Neutron 3 Adv, Rx7 Std; Sonarworks Ref 4; Melodyne Essential 4.2.2.004

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by soundpeaks_net » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:50 pm

@MattiasNYC the only two thins I miss on linux is Photoshop and Cubase.
Dude what made Windows great are games. And nothing else. AAA games.
When AAA games will come to Linux. WIN will die.
Steam will bring them.

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 pm

soundpeaks_net wrote:@MattiasNYC the only two thins I miss on linux is Photoshop and Cubase.
Dude what made Windows great are games. And nothing else. AAA games.
When AAA games will come to Linux. WIN will die.
Steam will bring them.
I think you're completely wrong. Do you think corporations with thousands of employees picked Windows because of games?
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

User avatar
MrSoundman
Senior Member
Posts: 2324
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MrSoundman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:17 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
soundpeaks_net wrote:@MattiasNYC the only two thins I miss on linux is Photoshop and Cubase.
Dude what made Windows great are games. And nothing else. AAA games.
When AAA games will come to Linux. WIN will die.
Steam will bring them.
I think you're completely wrong. Do you think corporations with thousands of employees picked Windows because of games?
Almost all corporate Windows applications are moving to cloud services. DAW software and other relative niche applications are of no real interest to Microsoft, and the specialised hardware necessary means it's not a candidate for Azure anyway. The days of the Windows client in the form of a high-powered PC are numbered -- just have a look at the 2GB RAM/32GB SSD devices masquerading as laptops in stores these days. In hardware, gamers have led the way and DAWs have followed, so perhaps the idea is not so crazy?
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:29 am

MrSoundman wrote:Almost all corporate Windows applications are moving to cloud services.
Many applications are, but many corporations still haven't switched over. There are plenty of reasons for why some corporations would want to retain data within their own networks.
MrSoundman wrote:The days of the Windows client in the form of a high-powered PC are numbered
I don't think it is in the sense you're using the phrase. Yes, sooner or later it'll go away probably, but the same can be said for a bunch of other technologies as well. Because the "niche" software developers that develop for PCs (and Macs) won't spend the money to develop for Linux. The field is tough to stay competitive and profitable in. Again, you tell me which developer will take the lead to develop for a fraction of a fraction of the market....

And it extends beyond the developers of the "hosts" - Steinberg and Cubendo, Avid and Pro Tools etc - it also includes all the third party developers who produces all the plugins we use. Who's going to get Michael Carnes, a one man operation of spectacular plugins, to spend valuable development time to not only develop for another OS but then also provide continuous support for it? Or Izotope? etc....
MrSoundman wrote:just have a look at the 2GB RAM/32GB SSD devices masquerading as laptops in stores these days. In hardware, gamers have led the way and DAWs have followed, so perhaps the idea is not so crazy?
I disagree that gamers "led the way" over DAW users. That's just not correct I think. DAW users and other content creators went to more cores long before gamers did, and we still generally benefit more from more cores. It could be argued that content creators also benefit from more memory as well as way faster and larger storage. A content creator and a gamer just have way different needs as far as the platform is concerned.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:34 am

But let me also ask the following: Can anyone recap for me what advantage Linux would have for me over Win 10 or OSX?
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

User avatar
MrSoundman
Senior Member
Posts: 2324
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MrSoundman » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:13 am

MattiasNYC wrote:Can anyone recap for me what advantage Linux would have for me over Win 10 or OSX?
If you're happy with WIndows or OSX, then none, at least not for you. The argument is not against other operating systems, it is simply an argument to give users the option to use Cubase on Linux.

From my original post, back in 2014:

3. Windows turning into a mobile phone
4. The high price of Cubase is more attractive if there is no cost for the OS
6. Live distros means Cubase could boot from a USB stick

... the list could go on. I could even conceive of a USB device that would incorporate soundcard, eLicenser and storage with an optimized Linux, all in single device, that would eliminate a lot of the variables people encounter with general purpose computers.
Windows 10 • Cubase 9.5.50 • WaveLab 9.5.50 • SpectraLayers 6.0.10 • HALion 6.3.0 • Groove Agent 5.0.10 • Midex

User avatar
Raphie
Senior Member
Posts: 1319
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:20 pm
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by Raphie » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:38 pm

You can boot windows from a stick too...
Analogue Mastering
MSI raider X299 - Intel i9 7940 - MSI Gaming X 1070GTX 8GB - OCZ RD400 nvme SSD - 16GB DDR4-3000
Windows 10 x64 up to date - Cubase Pro 9.5x - Wavelab Pro 9.5x
RME MadiFX and racks full of outboard

Everything you need to know about remote control editors

User avatar
soundpeaks_net
Member
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:14 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by soundpeaks_net » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:14 pm

C'mon it's useless to prove Win user that Linux is cool. It has totally different paradigm. You can not be monkey key presser to use it.

What I say Windows doesn't have any advantages. It used to have, when they rolled up DirectX and it was super fun to make games using it. And tones of games appeared. Also it was "cross computer" system in compare to OSX, you could install it on any PC. Lot's of games available made Windows popular.

I hate windows with all my heart after I installed brand new Win8 and the next day I got USB Flash drive virus from my mother's work, that infected all *.EXE files.

All dat crap with cryptoware and viruses make me sick of it.
So now I am dual boot and load windows only to make music.

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:58 pm

MrSoundman wrote:
MattiasNYC wrote:Can anyone recap for me what advantage Linux would have for me over Win 10 or OSX?
If you're happy with WIndows or OSX, then none, at least not for you. The argument is not against other operating systems, it is simply an argument to give users the option to use Cubase on Linux.

From my original post, back in 2014:

3. Windows turning into a mobile phone
4. The high price of Cubase is more attractive if there is no cost for the OS
6. Live distros means Cubase could boot from a USB stick

... the list could go on. I could even conceive of a USB device that would incorporate soundcard, eLicenser and storage with an optimized Linux, all in single device, that would eliminate a lot of the variables people encounter with general purpose computers.
Well, I'd like to see the rest of the list because the above isn't particularly convincing in my opinion.

No, Windows is absolutely not "turning into a mobile phone".

Whether or not Cubase is 'priced high' is very much up for debate. In my opinion it isn't, unless you're a hobbyist. If you're a hobbyist then I see the point, but you then also have other options that are cheaper.

As for an "all-in-one" USB device: I can conceive of that too, but the issue is whether or not developers will be ok with bundling all of that, and even if you will be. Suppose your USB "soundcard" breaks. One of the analog components breaks for example. Then what? There's often a tradeoff between consolidating features into "all-in-one" packages and on the other easier troubleshooting and replacement of individual features.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:13 pm

soundpeaks_net wrote:C'mon it's useless to prove Win user that Linux is cool. It has totally different paradigm. You can not be monkey key presser to use it.
I'm not sure what a "monkey key presser" is, but it sounds a bit like an insult.

Just so you know, I was lobbying for porting Nuendo to BeOS back in the day, but the OS died. So it's not like I'm against more operating systems or software running on more of them. And I'm also what I think you would normally call a "poweruser" since I make a living off of using Pro Tools (mainly) and Nuendo, on both OSX and Windows. So if you saw me work you'd see me make heavy use of key commands both for the respective OS and especially for the apps. So it's not like I'm a user that knows nothing about technology.

So, yeah, you could absolutely convince me if you had something compelling to offer.
soundpeaks_net wrote:What I say Windows doesn't have any advantages.
To you. Like I said, if you could educate me I might have the same opinion. But just for the sake of understanding where I'm coming from to some degree:

As I mentioned I've worked on OSX and Windows for years and years in pro post-audio. My first cellphone was a candybar Nokia and then finally I got the first multi-core Android phone. It didn't age well at all and I got fed up with Android. So, at the time I switched from Android I had an Android phone, worked on both OS, had a third party media software (MediaMonkey, which I still use), Sansa mp3 player, Yahoo email etc. Rather than paying the price for Apple products I figured I'd try out Windows Mobile, and so now I use MS products across the board.

So the point here is integration into an ecosystem. People who hate MS and Apple hate this concept. And I used to hate the concept of consolidating so much data and information into a large corporation's products. Here's the point though; it actually does offer a large amount of convenience. Now, if Linux can offer the same then fine, but if it can't then Windows does have advantages. I get my notifications automatically on all my MS devices at the same time. I get automatic sync and backup between online storage and devices, stationary or mobile, and so on.

And this of course ignores the chicken-and-egg software situation.

If you're talking about the purely technical, maybe looking at some core functionality of the OS, then I can see how Linux would be better. But in practice many of us, most I would say, don't limit ourselves to that.
soundpeaks_net wrote: I hate windows with all my heart after I installed brand new Win8 and the next day I got USB Flash drive virus from my mother's work, that infected all *.EXE files.

All dat crap with cryptoware and viruses make me sick of it.
Windows 8 was hated by a lot of people. I personally think the hate was completely out of proportion to what the OS was. But it's an absolutely irrelevant point to make because the OS you'd get today is Windows 10, not 8. So whatever 8 was you can forget about.

And as for getting infected: It's very easy to avoid that; don't go to questionable websites, don't install questionable software, don't double-click on questionable files, and don't connect devices you know nothing about. Android is currently the worlds most used OS if I understand correctly, and it has far more issues with security than Windows 10 Mobile. Why? Is it because W10M is more secure? It's probably just because "nobody" uses W10M these days (except me and 4 more people). So, with popularity comes a target on your back, and that's why Windows has always suffered and now Android (as well as iOS btw). So if Linux became as popular as Android it'd have just as big a target on its back, and probably just as much "crap".

I haven't had a virus on my computer for year and years. Zero issues. All it takes is a moderate amount of discipline.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

tetradyzine
New Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by tetradyzine » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:44 pm

+1 for Cubase on Linux! That would be awesome. All my machines are Linux except for the one running Cubase which is on Windows. Would love, love, love it!

esaporski
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by esaporski » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am

MattiasNYC wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:34 am
But let me also ask the following: Can anyone recap for me what advantage Linux would have for me over Win 10 or OSX?
Because Linux is not spying on you. Telemetry is hard coded on Windows 10 and OSX has it too.
With Linux you have real control over crucial features of the OS.
Microsoft and Apple are constantly trying to close the platform (Windows 10 S is a great example).
Apple uses OS X/iOS upgrades to cripple hardware so you have to buy new stuff.
Windows and OS X have a lot of bloatware installed and you cannot remove them.
Linux can be a lot lighter and more stable than Windows and OS X.

I could give you a lot more reasons if you want to, but the main thing for me is freedom.

User avatar
MattiasNYC
Grand Senior Member
Posts: 3701
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:27 am
Contact:

Re: Cubase for Linux

Post by MattiasNYC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:27 pm

esaporski wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am
MattiasNYC wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:34 am
But let me also ask the following: Can anyone recap for me what advantage Linux would have for me over Win 10 or OSX?
Because Linux is not spying on you. Telemetry is hard coded on Windows 10 and OSX has it too.
Telemetry isn't "spying". The usage of that word is just silly. I really wish people would stop using it in this cnotext. "Spying" is something that's done covertly. If this really was "spying" then these MS/Apple are the worst spies ever, telling users what they're doing.
esaporski wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am
With Linux you have real control over crucial features of the OS.
Microsoft and Apple are constantly trying to close the platform (Windows 10 S is a great example).
I have no idea how this relates to DAW work. Or other work for that matter. Are there examples?
esaporski wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am
Apple uses OS X/iOS upgrades to cripple hardware so you have to buy new stuff.
Apple has in my opinion one of the worst upgrade paths historically, from an economic standpoint. I don't disagree with that. Fortunately I don't buy Apple products (for that reason, and because I find them overrated/overpriced).
esaporski wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am
Windows and OS X have a lot of bloatware installed and you cannot remove them.
Who cares if the OS contains bloatware as long as it runs as fast as you want it to?
esaporski wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am
Linux can be a lot lighter and more stable than Windows and OS X.
Really the same objection as the previous one: Does Windows run as stable as I would like it to? I have read pretty much only good reviews regarding the stability of the OS by testers and system builders who us Win 10 + Cubase/Nuendo (7 or below). So I just don't see how this is an issue.

If I was a data center builder, or did backbone stuff for banks or something, then maybe I'd care about this. But that isn't the case, so....
esaporski wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:53 am
I could give you a lot more reasons if you want to, but the main thing for me is freedom.
Freedom is nice. I don't argue against that at all.
Nuendo 7.1.4 / Lynx TWO-B / Windows 10 Pro 64-bit / Ryzen 1700 3.7GHz (oc) / 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4@3200MHz / Nvidia GTX 660 / ASUS x370-A mobo/ 500GB WD Blue system drive / Crucial BX100 250GB SSD media / spinners for library/backup ::::: iZotope RX / Phoenixverb Surround / DaVinci Resolve / Faderport / Applied Acoustics UltraAnalog / my pet pony Frank

Post Reply

Return to “Steinberg Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest