9.0.20 experience so far?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
AP

Re: 9.0.20 experience so far?

Post by AP »

Now that I'm back in the studio everyday for hours I find Cubase very unstable, crashing, full of bugs again.
Cubase Pro 10.5. 15” MacBook Pro i7, 16 GB Ram, OS 10.14 UR28M, CMC.

ColinPark

Post by ColinPark »

I'm pretty happy with it. After some initial bumps with Novation-related software, it's fine. I really like the zones. I have yet to get into most of the features, but it's very exciting so far.

The one thing that disappointed me so far is side-chaining Retrologue. It suppose I misunderstood what that was about. I imagined that it would be like side-chaining a compressor, where the behavior of the compressor on a carrier signal (such as a bass guitar) is modulated by the side chain signal (such as a kick drum). In my mind, the carrier would be a retrologue sound, and the modulator would be the the audio input. Thus, a bit like a vocoder. But no. In fact, the MIDI input to retrologue is the modulator. The side-chain signal is really just a replacement for the retrologue oscillator(s) signal. A good thing -- for sure, just not what I was imagining. Interesting that the output of an instrument track works as a side chain.
Win 10 (64 bit), 3.5GHz i7-4770K, 32GB RAM, Sabertooth Z87, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB, RME fireface UFX, Novation 61SL MkII keyboard controller, Yamaha HS7 monitors. Cubase Pro 10.5.20], HALion 6, HALion Symphonic Orchestra, Dark Planet; Ozone 8 Adv, Neutron 3 Adv, Rx7 Std; Sonarworks Ref 4; Melodyne Studio 4.2.4.001

Wolfie2112

Post by Wolfie2112 »

AP wrote:Now that I'm back in the studio everyday for hours I find Cubase very unstable, crashing, full of bugs again.
Cane you elaborate? I'm only asking because I'm also on a similar laptop and it's solid so far for me.

AP

Post by AP »

Wolfie2112 wrote:
AP wrote:Now that I'm back in the studio everyday for hours I find Cubase very unstable, crashing, full of bugs again.
Cane you elaborate? I'm only asking because I'm also on a similar laptop and it's solid so far for me.
Cubase has been crashing /quit unexpectedly. I'm not sure what the issue is. I removed some recently added plugins last week now I removed those same plugin's components. I will keep working and see if that makes a difference.

There's also a bluetooth midi issue. Cubase doesn't work with bluetooth midi. After purchasing the gear I can't use it with cubase but it works fine with other DAWs... Therefore Steinberg is behind the game...

Cubase has midi timing issues when you program complex electronic music and go back and forth in the song on top of the trip-outs which make me very frustrated.

Not to mention the other known issues.

TheRealRoach

Post by TheRealRoach »

It's been seriously fantastic on my W10 laptop and my W7Pro desktop studio system. Like, I don't think I've had a single crash yet and I've been doing some fairly intensive mixes, and also recording/production sessions.
2017 Macbook Pro touchbar 13", Catalina 10.15, C10.40

uarte

Post by uarte »

9.0.20 has been a poor experience for me. Not happy, not impressed. Disappointed. Definitely looking at what's on the other side of the hill right now and evaluating alternatives.

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

I also came from a superstable cubase 8.5.2 that never crashed to a very unstable 9.0.2. Not so much crashing while working in projects, although it happens a lot more than before, but an almost constant crashfest on closing/opening projects. Also a lot of crashes while changing VSTIs (on new projects made on 9.0.2), and also crashing while working with variaudio. I have as others removed a hole bunch of plugs hoping that would help, but havent found the reason for the crashes yet. The 9 is by far the most unstable cubase version I have ever used, and that include cubase xt, vst4.. I save the work after every edit now!
Main studio: Cubase pro 10.0.3, Wavelab 9.5, mac pro middle 2012, saffire pro 40, waves 9, 10 and 11, t-racks, plugin alliance, superior drummer and komplete, and much more. Mackie D8B with probox DAW controller (MCU protocoll and Generic remote)

Classroom 1: imac with Cubase elements 10, saffire pro 40, behringer x32 as DAW controller MCU or MIDI/generic remote
Classroom 2: mac pro 2011, Cubase elements 10.5, protools 11, scarlet 18i20, 3d gen

Matthias Quellmann

Post by Matthias Quellmann »

Hi all,
Could you please add some more information about your system? There seem to be issues related to the latest Windows 10 update, NVIDIA drivers and third-party plugins, but in order to reproduce your reports and to provide solutions we will need more details.

Thanks,
Matthias
Matthias Quellmann - Senior Marketing Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany
Checkout Steinberg on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook!

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

I am on mac pro 2012 as signature.. I would make a guess that my crashes has something to do with the VSTI. Cubase is really fragile while changing an instrument to another. I have now taken a days job to update all 3 party plugs, and cubase still crash, if I go near the vst-instruments.
Main studio: Cubase pro 10.0.3, Wavelab 9.5, mac pro middle 2012, saffire pro 40, waves 9, 10 and 11, t-racks, plugin alliance, superior drummer and komplete, and much more. Mackie D8B with probox DAW controller (MCU protocoll and Generic remote)

Classroom 1: imac with Cubase elements 10, saffire pro 40, behringer x32 as DAW controller MCU or MIDI/generic remote
Classroom 2: mac pro 2011, Cubase elements 10.5, protools 11, scarlet 18i20, 3d gen

Matthias Quellmann

hjwinge wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 pm
I am on mac pro 2012 as signature.. I would make a guess that my crashes has something to do with the VSTI. Cubase is really fragile while changing an instrument to another. I have now taken a days job to update all 3 party plugs, and cubase still crash, if I go near the vst-instruments.
Is it happening with all 3rd party VSTis or just specific plugins?
Hamburg, Germany

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

Matthias Quellmann wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:33 pm
hjwinge wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 pm
Is it happening with all 3rd party VSTis or just specific plugins?
All over I would say. First I thought it was something with kontakt or Kontakt libraries, But I updated and removed all 32 bits I have, but problems continued. It also crash with the new updated halion sonic se, as with UVI and sonivox instruments, all updated to latest version. It doesn´t crash ALL the time, maybe 60% of the time, so I have to hold my breath every time I load/unload an instrument. None of this happened in 8.5 or earlier versions.

Matthias Quellmann

All over I would say. First I thought it was something with kontakt or Kontakt libraries, But I updated and removed all 32 bits I have, but problems continued. It also crash with the new updated halion sonic se, as with UVI and sonivox instruments, all updated to latest version. It doesn´t crash ALL the time, maybe 60% of the time, so I have to hold my breath every time I load/unload an instrument. None of this happened in 8.5 or earlier versions.
Could you please provide us with the crash report?
Hamburg, Germany

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm
I think you got 3 reports in your PM. Hope I send the right ones..! hj

Resonant Serpent

Post by Resonant Serpent »

When I first installed 9.0.1, it was incredibly stable. I installed 9.0.2, and suddenly I was dealing with a total bugfest.

I uninstalled 9.0.2, did a complete shutdown, then reinstall, and everything is back to being stable again.

I have no explanation for what happened, but if you're having a lot of weird errors, try a full reinstall.
A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold

AP

Post by AP »

After removing those plugins / components Cubase seems to be more stable now, for the past 10 hours in the studio. No crashes or issues so far. Hope it stays that way.

djw

Post by djw »

Stable for the specs in my signature. (AMD/Windows system)

Matthias Quellmann

hjwinge wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:39 pm
Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:21 pm
I think you got 3 reports in your PM. Hope I send the right ones..! hj
We will need the full reports. You can find them here:

- Start the "Console" app
- Left side, navigate to "User Reports"
- You should see the crash logs from Cubase there
- Right click on one of them, select "Reveal in Finder"
- Then grab the relevant log files (according to date, etc.) and add them as an attachment to this mail.

I helps us a lot to identify and reproduce these issues. Thanks to all of you for your support!
Hamburg, Germany

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

Yes, hi, I am trying to send the reports again, but the PM mail do not accept any of the file formats I am trying to attach. Feeling really stupid here, but how can I send it to you?? hj

Matthias Quellmann

hjwinge wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:15 pm
Yes, hi, I am trying to send the reports again, but the PM mail do not accept any of the file formats I am trying to attach. Feeling really stupid here, but how can I send it to you?? hj
Generally crash logs should be sent to our support team at info@steinberg.de

But in this case it would be great if you could upload it to a cloud drive like dropbox and send me a download link. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Hamburg, Germany

Puma0382

Post by Puma0382 »

Upload the zip files or whatever up to an online storage site (Dropbox, Hightail, OneDrive, etc, etc..) then share the link to the file(s) in a PM to Matthias, is how I would do it... ;-)

EDIT (oops.! he beat me to it.. )
System 1:- Win10 64bit, Gigabyte H81M m/board, Intel i7 4790 3.6Ghz, 16Gb RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 Ti, 2 x 22" HD monitors; Steinberg UR44; Cubase Pro v10.5.20, WaveLab Pro v10.0.40, Studio One v4.6.1, Dorico Elements v3.5.10, Addictive Drums 2, Komplete 12, StylusRMX

System 2:- Win10 32bit, Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 4Gb RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS, Delta 1010LT; Cubase Pro v8.0.40, WaveLab Pro v9.1.0, Komplete10, StylusRMX

hjwinge

Post by hjwinge »

okidoki, you should have 5 of them now..!

Matthias Quellmann

hjwinge wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:11 pm
okidoki, you should have 5 of them now..!
Yes, thank you! We will have a look at the logs.
Hamburg, Germany

audiohead75

Post by audiohead75 »

Having problems using multiple monitors since 9.0.2. Can't find a way to keep my key editor open on monitor #2 when I delete a midi region. I've been muting regions instead of deleting them just to make sure the window stays open, but that is making my arrange window cluttered. When I click on a different region to edit it when the key editor is closed after deleting a region, the key editor opens on monitor #1 covering up my arrange window, instead of reopening on monitor #2.

So I tried assigning my arrangement (arrange on monitor 1, key editor on monitor 2) to my default workspace, so I could use a key command to make it open in the second window, by pulling up the workspace again. The key editor will still open on monitor #1 when I click on a midi region, using the key command to revert to my default workspace won't switch the key editor to monitor #2, so this doesn't fix the problem.

Definitely a bug that I didn't have in 8.5. Key editor would just pop open on monitor #2. They should fix it so it doesn't close the key editor window when you delete the midi region in the project arrange window.
Last edited by audiohead75 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OSX 10.12.6
Cubase Pro 10.0.3
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6.0.15864
2 x 3.46 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128 GB RAM

audiohead75

Post by audiohead75 »

Also, still having problems with "Waiting for Video Service" messages and crashes. Mainly if I don't use the cpu for ~20 min, but it also will happen in the middle of a heavy use session. I've done everything posted so far to fix the problem, like the flip 4 mac workaround, but no luck. Pretty angry I spent $100 to upgrade when they still haven't fixed this issue. :(
OSX 10.12.6
Cubase Pro 10.0.3
Vienna Ensemble Pro 6.0.15864
2 x 3.46 Ghz 6-Core Intel Xeon
128 GB RAM

noiseboyuk

Post by noiseboyuk »

audiohead - no problems for me in 9.0.20 with multi monitors, but I'm W10 and GeForce GT610s.

It's interesting to read of some folks with CPU spiking. I am getting this in 9.0.2. I'm not sure if it actually started in 9.0.1. From reading around here, I guess I have to try disabling Hyperthreading as a first step, but it's annoying that it wasn't an issue in earlier versions of Cubase. I have 12 cores with hyperthreading on, so I shouldn't be affected by this new multicore issue (as I understand it).
Win 10 64 bit, i7 4930, 64gb RAM, 2x GT610, RME Babyface, Cubase 9.01, PT 12HD
Macbook Pro 2015, 2.8ghz i7, 16gb RAM

http://www.guyrowland.co.uk

Return to “General”