Cue note workarounds

We are working on cues right now. This will include not only the ability to create cues simply and easily, but also the ability to change the size of (practically) any item in the score, so you’ll be able to do all sorts of fun things with those capabilities. To be clear: these features are not coming in the forthcoming minor update, but in the next larger update, which is still a way off.

This are really very good news :slight_smile:

Extremely good news :slight_smile:

Great to hear. As much as we want these new items, take your time and get it right! Too many other programs (naming no names) rush the “fix” out the door, only to break something else in the process.

We’ll look forward to new functions, and the old ones still operational.

Although we are going as fast as we can, we can go no faster…

That would be fantastic. I’m working on an orchestral project now that would have parts due at the end of November, and I’m really dreading taking the whole thing back into Finale to make parts. If Dorico has the capability to do cues by October, I will be extremely happy.

I’m going to jump on the bandwagon here, as well.
I’m a DMA student, working on a project for an ensemble for performance in December, with score & parts due in early November. The piece I’m writing really needs cues (it uses some minimalism, and thus has long periods of rest for some parts).
I doubt it would matter much, but I’ll be giving a seminar presentation in the Spring term to the composition faculty and student on the benefits of dropping “the other two programs” and switching to Dorico. Cues will be a deal-breaker for the department chair (and may get me heavily scolded when I turn in a score without them).
So - any updates? :slight_smile:

I am also working on a huge orchestral project due November 1st and having cues would make a HUGE difference… Should I hold my breath, Daniel? :wink:

Unfortunately the new update will not be available in time to meet either of these deadlines, gentlemen. We’re working as quickly as we can to get these new features into everybody’s hands, but there are still a few more weeks to wait.

I know you can’t promise anything but I am starting to get desperate. Is there any chance the next rev. will be released before December 1st?

Also curious if the next update will include a way to have multiple wind instruments on one staff — for example, flutes 1 and 2 sharing a single staff in the score. Or is that something for a later update?

It would be helpful to know this, because if that feature is not in the next update, I’ll make a separate “Conductor’s Score” layout where I manually put wind instruments together on single staves.

Bob, I’m afraid the update will not quite be ready before the start of December.

Julian, the next update will not include the features required to show music for multiple players on the same staff. That’s an enormous feature that will certainly take more time to complete than we can manage in a maintenance update, especially one that already contains three very significant new features (cues, percussion, fingering). We only have a handful of developers!

Julian, you can always condense the players into a single staff yourself by copying (or cutting) the music and pasting it into the single staff — you can use the Paste Into Voice feature for that. You will find that sometimes you will need to exclude dynamics, and the filtering options will help with that.

And I assume you can keep everything within one file, although my project was so huge that I had to create a separate file just for the full score with condensed player staves. It’s more of a pain to fix mistakes, but the separation is also good because it means it’s harder to mess up the parts while you’re producing the full score.

If I can assist further, let me know… Good luck!

Hey, Daniel. Will this be a paid Dorico 1.5 update (like what Cubase does annually) or a free Dorico 1.2 update?

The forthcoming update – which includes cues, unpitched percussion, fingering, the Shift+I popover for quickly adding intervals, filtering by pitch, shape note/Sacred Harp support, and more besides – is going to be free.

…But you can send them money if you wish.

:smiley:

Is the office coffee complimentary, or do you guys have to bring your own?

Heh, the good people at Steinberg HQ allow the team a generous coffee budget, so we’re all set in that department.

Thanks for the updates, Daniel. This is very helpful to know for us on the other side.

Well, if your team drinks too much coffee, will the music play too fast? yuk, yuk… I better compose that Nocturne right away.