Horizontal lines

Have just spent a few hours looking at the demo (long time user of Finale and Sibelius etc). First impressions are very encouraging - having most recently created a full score of an extended multi-movement choral work in Sibelius I am loving the ‘flows’ concept which would have made that a whole lot easier! Anyway, I am trying Dorico out by working on a classical guitar score and want to add some horizontal lines to indicate that a particular series of notes should all be played on the same string. Whilst the string indication is easy to find I’m not seeing any means of adding a line or horizontal bracing of any kind? Does such a thing exist (yet)?

Not yet.

Hopefully soon! :slight_smile:

Although I am not generally in favour of the employment of workarounds, you can use pedal lines to fake up horizontal lines with brackets at one or both ends. The only problem is that they will play back as pedal lines! (I’m not sure if the ‘Muted’ property in the Common section of the Properties panel will correctly mute a pedal line.)

Interesting idea, Daniel! But I think I’ll wait until you guys implement the horizontal lines… that’s how much I appreciate your efforts! :slight_smile:

Agree with thiagotiberio - better to wait!

I’ve used text to add horizontal lines in figured bass. Just type ___ and move it from above to below in the properties panel.

I needed to add some lines with a hook at the end (these are known as a type of “Line” in Sibelius). In Dorico, since I could’t find an available tool to add them, I put them in as text and they look pretty good in my score.

Here is an example…
───┐

It is made from the combination of 2 obscure font characters (spaces added below to show individual characters)…can add as many or few horizontal characters as needed

─ ─ ─ ┐ U+2500 “Box Drawings Light Horizontal” and U+2510 “Box Drawings Light Down and Left” found in Windows Character Map. If you fish around in there, you can probably found whatever shapes you need to draw a variety of lines.

There’s still another option: you can create a tuplet without number. For example, select any note, type “shitf + ;” and write “1:1” in the box. Hide number and show bracket at the properties. Position this bracket as desired at “engraving mode”. If you want to hide only one of the hooks, you can put a white square as text over the hook.
I hope this helps!

I use tuplets to fake brackets, but I find it better when selecting the range of notes to input a n:n tuplet where n is the number of actual beats. Sometimes entering 1:1 makes the tuplet an odd length, requiring extra work.

Yes, of course! It was just an example. Thank you!