Dorico making Motu soundcard volume jump

Hello Paul

I just sent you a friendly message about an issue I’m experiencing with Dorico. Perhaps you might want to read over and moderate your reply.

I’m experiencing daily issues with Dorico - as promising as it is, Dorico, quite frankly, still feels like a work in progress. I’m happy to give Dorico a try though - and give the team the benefit of my user feedback. Very often, items in Dorico are either not present at all. Some are spoken about but not yet implemented. Others are in the software but the documentation is incomplete so we don’t know they’re present. Hence writing to the forum - the problem I described doesn’t exist with any of the other software I’m using on a daily basis (e.g. Max; QLab). It’s disrupting my workflow - and in the wrong situation could also damage my speakers (or worse still, my ears).

The information you send in the second paragraph would have sufficed. However, instead of addressing this issue politely and promptly, you infer that I’m having issues because I’m not familiar with a ‘professional’ workflow. You’re also giving me a mini tutorial on levels. Is this the attitude Steinberg would like to project to all customers?

For the record, I have two degrees in engineering - one in electroacoustics - and am a professional composer, working in theatre houses around the UK (as well as New York). I know how to hook up my studio, thanks. I understand when I need to work with material set at a 0dB level and when I do not. I decide when I need to use Core Audio and when I do not. I have two deadlines looming: one for an opera, another for a major London theatre production. Right now, I’m wondering if I can even cope with using Dorico, if I feel I have to run the gauntlet and have my expertise questioned, just for pointing out such a problem.

Sarah Angliss