Licensing and the Survey

wrhoden, I don’t understand: if the school pays for the software, it is obviously theirs.
Why would you want the software to travel with you, when you change to another school?

I wholeheartedly agree, I am one of those “happy” (or rather non-issue) dongle users when it comes to my DAW and sample libraries, because they need a powerful desktop. This is what Steinberg is not understanding, a notation software is a different animal altogether, it is used differently. In my case I need to take it to rehearsals daily (and on the road) on a tablet with only one port.

I just wished they had added the dongle issue to their survey, so that they could get an accurate number of users not buying the software because of this.

But, how many people who “don’t buy software because they hate dongles” would get as far as seeing the survey at all, and how many of those would spend time completing it?

You have to be careful when using “statistics” and “accurate” in the same sentence :wink:

There’s a well known example of this mistake dating from WWII - somebody decided to commission a big survey of aircraft that had been shot at, to find which parts should be protected most. Unfortunately they “forgot” that the number of aircraft included in the survey which had actually been shot down in enemy territory was - ZERO, for the obvious reason. All the planes where they carefully counted all the bullet holes had survived anyway! Luckily, somebody did notice that mistake before they started on completely useless redesigns of the planes…

Ha! Funny anecdote…

The survey was sent because I tried the demo, the closest possible response I could give as to why I wasn’t buying it was because “it was too expensive”, but that is only in the context of the licensing issue which would require me to buy two. Hence why I started this thread… To call attention to the fact that the survey is not giving them accurate information. Presumably surveys are sent out to gather information and presumably some sample of the users answer them. Why not help them to get it right?

I’m sure your motivation was for a good reason, but I’m just pointing out that it’s not so easy to get good information! Even if Steinberg sends the survey to everyone who downloads the trial and doesn’t buy the product, the response rate is important. If 95% of people reply to the survey, the information is worth looking at, but if only 5% reply, probably not - unless you think changing the questions would improve the response rate, of course. (And for some surveys, getting as few as one response for every 50 requests is “normal.”)

For awhile I was actually at two schools at the same time. One school could afford it, but the other couldn’t. How each school operates is different in the USA. So if it is licensed to me as the teacher, it becomes less of a headache trying to get each individual school to buy it for me. I’m not talking classroom labs, just notation software for me to make arrangements for my classes. If it were a lab, of course I would ask the school to buy enough licenses for each machine.

Rather than start a new thead, I think it is worth pointing out here how irritating the dongle is, due to its pulsing red LED. What is the purpose of this pulsing? No other dongles that I have do this and it is particularly difficult to ignore when it is stuck in the side of a laptop – not only for the user, but for others close by who may be able to see it, for instance, in a train or an aeroplane or airport, where people commonly try to catch up with work.

I do not say this to criticise the Dorico developers, as it is clearly due to a Steinberg corporate decision and probably annoys Daniel’s team just as much as it does me; but it is another aspect of the licensing situation that merits a re-evaluation of the needs of customers, rather than Steinberg’s need to protect its intellectual property.

On the question of to dongle or not to dongle, I remember that Magix used to rely on one to protect Samplitude. This has now been abandoned in favour of multiple registrations; but during the time when there was an obligatory dongle for the full program, they made available very cheaply a dongle-less version (Samplitude SE) which was restricted to performing basic tasks, such as one might want to do while on the move. I do not know what Dorico functions would come into this category, but such an option might satisfy those who object to the dongle and also be a way of persuading new users of the value of the full program.

David

The pulsing of the LED is to show when code is being executed on the USB-eLicenser, as far as I know.

May I suggest affixing a narrow strip of opaque tape if the diode in the dongle is causing major disruptions at home or in the airport.

Are you referring to the constant continuous 4 second cycle from dim to brighter and back? This happens as soon as I plug the dongle in, without runnng Dorico.

It flashes brighter and faster when I open Dorico and then resumes its 4 second cycles. Same again when I open a score.
But these addtional flashes only happen when I am connected to tne Internet. Is the dongle calling home when it does this?

David

No, the USB-eLicenser doesn’t call home.

Thanks, Daniel!

A more scientific investigation reveals that the brief dongle flashes that occur when opening or closing Dorico or a Dorico file are the same whether the computer is connected from the Internet or not. Quite why the background 4 second pulse is necessary remains a mystery.

David

AFAIK, If eLc disconnected when Cubase / Nuendo is open, Cubase / Nuendo will show error notice after several seconds.
This made me suspect that the 4 second pulse is to check whether the eLc is keeping on being plugged in.

Hello folks,
been lurking and reading on this and other posts relating to using two copies on two machines by one owner.

It is normal behavior from almost ALL other competing products to have the ability to use one license on a main machine and a laptop (even some OS devices for some). I cannot believe that it has seriously been suggested that I buy another full or half-price license so I can use it on my laptop as well as my studio machine. Then future upgrades will require double fees? NOT. I already have two other notation programs I can take on the road with me. I have no products that are subscriptions (old version of Sibelius), and will not go that route, for now.

I have only the highest respect for the Dan and the Dorico team. I hope that they can argue this through successfully with Steinberg. It is thanks to Steinberg, that we now have Dorico, no?, so I am not angry about this- trying to understand them-
BUT: to have multiple copies on multiple devices properly licensed to one person is the norm now.

“Radical” (in my own deluded imagination) thought : If there was the documented agreement that this WILL change, and early loyal adopters get rewarded with the ability to have multiple copies, I would jump on it. In order to offer up more support, for a reward, seems worth it to me. :sunglasses:
-Istvan

I have to agree this is a major concern for me as well. My 30-day trial is up tomorrow, and I’m buying a license without hesitation. But I do run two machines regularly, and I’ve never had to mess with a dongle before for other software. I lose things with astonishing speed, so a dongle is a recipe for disaster. I’m dreading that part of it.

Finale always allowed two installs. As well as my DAW, Studio One.

It won’t stop me from getting Dorico, since I’m finding the program such a pleasant experience to use. But I’d like to see the licensing model change. Just adding my two cents to the discussion.

See two licences: Pro and Elements - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

I am not in the know, but I would venture a guess: DAW users, like gamers, are notorious for using cracked/hacked versions of recording software, VSTi’s and plugins. Thus vigorous protection in that industry. Steinberg’s product-line before Dorico was entirely in audio recording. Thus the protectionist mindset.

…and music typesetters are not, as a general rule, an unruly and law-breaking bunch. :smiley:

IIRC, I have software that is SINGLE USER, but can float between two computers, so long as both computers are not connected to the internet and using the program at the same time. I know all that means is someone can logon to the computer, disconnect the internet, and use the program, but the principle is there, and good faith is warranted.

Spectrasonics has a self licensing and authentication program for their products, but they also understand that many people just want to be able to use it on their own machines, and so they have good faith measures of deterring people from licensing multiple times.

So, I guess at the end of the day, Steinberg has a couple of choices, one being “live and let live” or “sorry, not sorry.”

Steinberg made their choice months ago, and have publicised it on this very forum. Why are we still having this discussion?!