Dorico 1.1 Random Hanging

May I respectfully suggest that this really isn’t a very helpful post?

I suspect that the majority of us are confident that the team will track it down, annoying though the bug certainly is.

Meanwhile, what’s been achieved with Dorico until now is nothing short of remarkable!

For what it’s worth, I have been really working with Dorico these last ten months, I have a MacBook pro late 2013 with retina screen and a bunch of SSDs, running El Capitan, and NEVER experienced this bug.

Given that it appears to be related to QT, it couldn’t (also) have to do with OS, could it?

That’s why I gave you that information!

Thanks, Yes, Marc :slight_smile:

I don’t believe we’ve heard from Steinberg that there is any established correspondence between OS (or even platform) and the QT redraw anomaly, have we?

I do not known. Yet I think it is quite important for them to have as many information as possible to be able to understand the conditions where that bug appears. As I never experienced it, I guess describing my system is all I can do to help…

Note: I’m talking about ‘Qt’ (the application framework) not ‘QT’ (QuickTime). Our best guess at the moment is that it’s a Qt bug, or even an OS bug. It’s also a ‘Heisenbug’ in that any attempt to try to observe it by attaching the debugger causes it to no longer occur. I appreciate how frustrating it must be for you, but please also remember how frustrating it is for us that it’s really difficult to reliably reproduce it, and if we can’t reproduce it then we don’t know if any one thing we do will fix it!

Marc - that’s right - it’s useful for us to know on whose machine it occurs and whose it doesn’t. Maybe we’ll then start to see a pattern emerge. I’ll kick things off:

Machine: Macbook Pro 15" 2012
Screen: 15" non retina
Running on battery or external power: both
Any screen capture, window extensions or video software: no
How reliably does the playback freeze occur: sporadically. When it does happen it’s usually after playback has been running for a couple of minutes
Does switching to a different mode and back fix it: yes. Even just scrolling the view is enough

Thanks so much, Paul!

Machine: ‘Late 2014’ Retina 5K iMac
Hardware: 4 GHz i7; 32 GB RAM
Screen: 27" retina
Running on battery or external power: external
Any screen capture, window extensions or video software: no
How reliably does the playback freeze occur: sporadically. Can be any time from immediately and after a machine cold boot to four hours in
Does switching to a different mode and back fix it: not always. Scrolling the view never does. Further degradation (inputting notes, editing etc) usually follows

Well, if you have such a low opinion of the Dorico developers that you don’t believe they ever “just run the program for 15 minutes”, you probably shouldn’t even consider using it for anything serious! But other people might not share your opinions.

In fact some of the Dorico team also use the software regularly, outside of “working for Steinberg”, as composers, arrangers, editors, performers, etc.

Avid went through a phase of hiring subcontractors for software development from anywhere around the world, so long as they were cheap. But even if Avid eventually learned the hard way that “you get what you pay for”, they don’t have the option of going back to the original development team any more :wink:

It is our impression that the screen redraw problem is more common on Sierra (i.e. macOS 10.12) than it is on earlier versions of macOS, but unfortunately I don’t think it is true to say that the problem doesn’t occur at all on older versions of macOS.

Daniel,

Thanks. Are reports of the bug’s affecting Windows disproven at this point - as far as you can tell, please?

As far as I recall we’ve only had one user mention it, and we’ve never seen it internally.

Thanks, Paul - so it might be best to assume it’s Mac-only, and work from there?

Yes, unless we start hearing from a number of Windows users.

Thanks, Paul. Can we (= you :wink: ) also prompt any and every user who sees this and wants to help to provide their system information as we did earlier in the thread, please?

I’m not sure what causes my application to freeze. In fact, in general if I want the program to hang, I just edit for awhile and eventually it freezes up.

rexwine,

Please would you kindly post the details of your system here - as Paul did in this post? Thanks!

Hi Mark,

I posted it in this thread. (below) Although the size of my current score is smaller, it hasn’t eliminated random hanging. Dorico works faster and probably does it less though, but it didn’t eliminate it. My SOP (standard operating procedure) has pretty much become closing and reopening Dorico sooner or later. Just not as often.

rexwine,

Thanks so much. In the interests of putting as much as possible at the fingertips of Paul and his colleagues, I’ve taken the liberty of (re)posting it here. Please do say if not appropriate, and I’ll remove this post immediately. :slight_smile:

Just to be clear, you’re using Windows 10 and you also get the error whereby the vertical green playhead either freezes and/or appears to scroll offscreen in Write mode - effectively preventing you from following the score; is that right?
myPC.PNG

Referencing my 9/13/17 post above: I’ve been using Dorico version 1.2 for several weeks now, and have had no instances of the problem (hanging when doing write/playback cycles). Macbook pro, retina screen, macOS 10.13.3. Also remains stable in 1.21 so far.