Cubase for Linux

I vote +1 for Linux becoming an option for Cubase. As a matter of fact, applications like Cubase currently prevent me from ditching Windows in favour of Linux.

I’ve recently caught myself searching for how to build a hackintosh with my PC, to run away from the half baked, buggy Windows 10.

1 Like

Davinci Resolve ( video editor ) has now added a download option of a CentOS distro iso with Resolve preinstalled and nVidia drivers ready to go .
Way forward maybe ?

… or, as I alluded to in my original post, a bootable USB device that would incorporate audio interface, eLicenser and storage running a customised Linux. Linux support continues in the latest developer’s VST SDK 3.6.9 so it looks like some progress is being made.

It’d be so great if Cubase 10 was also released for GNU/Linux · · · :sunglasses:

It would be even greater if Cubase dropped PC and Mac support and ran Linux only IMO.

Yes, of course. I think I heard one of the devs saying they would be doing just that later in the week. :wink:

-steve- can I troll this? Please, PLEASE???

:mrgreen:

Just voicing what everyone REALLY wants. An OS dedicated to DAWS. Wont ever happen though. Carry on and troll yourselves

What are you smoking?

If Apple continue to abandon the pro market (e.g. by not releasing a new expandable desktop mac and switching to arm based low cpu power computers) I could actually see a potential for Mac based studios to switch over to linux. Imho it’s more realistic than Mac users switching to Win. On the other hand it’s an expensive move that could only work if the industry would act and port the entire eco system. I don’t see AVID taking that route atm and that means there is no EuCon and that means there are virtually no good affordable and well integrated controllers available. So it probably won’t happen although it must say with Apple under Cook it would probably be the best thing that could happen to the pro audio world.

and did you bring enough for everyone?

I think I disagree. To my mind there are primarily two things that tie people to Apple products; a) brand perception, and b) eco system.

Once the former is gone I would guess the user would still want the latter, which means Microsoft, not Linux.

Well, then I’m in a different category.
The Mac has been an extemely hassle free system for me. That’s all I want. It get’s out of the way and let’s me get on with what I need to do to make money in the studio.
Recently I have taken about two weeks to try and see what whould happen if I switched over to win 10 and the sad (for me) conclusion was - It’s not an option. It just gets in the way too much for me. Pop ups here, information there, virus updates, Windows is solving this, wait while Windows tries that, Cortana is your new friend, it just never stopped…

This is really important for me. I need to be able to focus when working with the computer. This is why I HATE things like the Steinberg hub so much. I’m sitting in front of my workstation and want to open or create a file and I get tons of icons and “interesting” information about some stuff that I could potentially buy.

I have a linux system installed for private use and it’s actually the nicest and most unobstrusive os. I really prefer it over mac and pc for standard user stuff, but there are no serious audio post solutions available. So it’s a dilemma - my mac gets old, the pc is my personal definition of a nightmare and linux is not supported by the software I need.

I should have written “many” or “most” people rather than just “primarily”. I know what I said doesn’t apply to everyone.

Sure, I don’t think that’s unreasonable at all. It’s just one of those things where “hassle free” happens to both Windows and Mac users, so it’s certainly possible on respective systems.

But a lot of the above can be easily adjusted. You can defer both updates and upgrades by a looong time and thus deal with them on your own schedule. It doesn’t have to happen when you don’t want it. You can also adjust what notifications if any pop up as well as how Cortana behaves. Win 10 is pretty configurable.

But I’ll add what I mentioned on Gearslutz as well, that some people use these computers for a dual purpose. They’re not only used for DAW work but also administrative work etc. So I need a computer at home that I can use to check everything from mails/texts, news, weather, up/download files etc, in addition to use my DAW. I really like the live tiles for example which will show me a lot of what I just mentioned at the touch of a single key.

I’ll also mention again that some of the new UWP apps are really slick and fast. If I want to reference a surround mix that lives on Netflix for example the Netflix app is super-fast to launch and is very slick. It’s not perfect, but in terms of having a nice user experience its quite good and far nicer than running things from a browser.

Whenever I’ve talked to people about Apple’s products it’s been the ecosystem and ‘value’ of their products that’s been at the forefront of the decisions (as well as the “just works” argument, which applies to Win users as well). My friends have been bitching about iPhones now for a while but they won’t switch even to Android, because they have iBooks or iPads or MacBooks or Mac Pros etc + iTunes etc and so they don’t want to change their phone because it’d change everything. And when I speak to Linux users I’m not getting the sense that Linux has an alternative to that. You get an Apple product and you get into their ecosystem. I got a Win phone + Win 10 desktop / laptop and I get into the MS ecosystem. So, how can I get the same integration on Linux with equally little hassle?

That’s what I think many users are concerned with…

Reaper experimental native Linux builds are now available … even for the Raspberry Pi. Just sayin’ :wink:

I think this is my most wanted request. Add support for linux. Waves has it. and a few others. It have to start somewhere. I can probably not jump on that train yet. That what I wish I could. I need steinberg, spectrasonic, Native Instruments and Fabfilter on the train to say good by to my apple machine.

Here’s an idea:

1. Create a list of all users who really want to jump to Linux.
  2. Create a list of all software they really need before jumping over.
  3. Create an account for all those users.
  4. Put money into that account.
  5. Divide that money up between the software manufacturers who make the needed software after they commit to develop after getting money.

right?

Linux would make sense for Nuendo Live with a bootable eLicenser dongle.
Then again, that would be a support nightmare even with those restrictions .

I just wanted to show up here as just another guy requesting a Linux-version of Cubase and the VST-Plugins.

Cubase is the last reason to still keep a Windows PC here - everything else i do with multimedia is already running fine on my Linux systems (Debian/Mint) :wink:

Maybe “CubaseXuniL” will be this year’s big release :smiley: