Contemporary graphic panel in Dorico?

Dear all,

I recently tried to edit a score with musical-“réservoirs” like in Lutoslawski’s music, with floating repeating bars (to see how it looks like, see an extract of one of my pieces below Capture-01

, which was edited at the time in score-editing-mode of Cubase 5) in the middle of main musical lines. My questions are:

• I know how to hide time signature, to hide rests, but is there a possibility to hide a repeating bar in one stave (or instrument, like piano) and to show it in another stave (another instrument for example, like in Capture-01)? At the moment, in Capture-02

, which is Dorico, I can’t separate the edition of both instruments bars.
  • Is there a possibility to add “waves” (like in Capture-01), sort of graphic elements that indicate the musical material inside of the repeating bar keeps turning while other musical lines develop in another stave/instrument?

Thanks for your help/advices.

Valentin V.

At the moment, there is no “proper” way to implement custom lines. However, you can add these sort of graphics as Text, in the form of a repeating glyph. Bravura implements as host of different lines — the conventional trill, vibrato and glissando wiggle, as well as sine, square and rectangle waves and much more, in various densities/frequencies. You can find them here. Copy many iterations of one glyph as Text, change the font to Bravura (or Bravura Text) and move it into place in Engrave Mode.

Regarding the independent repeats, they can be added by selecting the barline you already have in place and holding Alt as you select the adequate repeat in the Bars and Barlines menu, or by hitting Alt-Enter instead of Enter when using the popover.

Hello,

Thank you very much for the Text advice, it seems it’s working.

Although for repeat bars you didn’t quite understood my question: I don’t want to insert a repeat bar, that I know how to do it, here is the situation:
I have two instruments, I want to insert a repeat bar in one instrument that DOESN’T APPEAR on the other instrument above, or below, so the exact point is: Is there a possibility to hide a bar for one instrument, while the one for the other instrument is showed?

Actually, I m trying to insert glyphs as text, but when I change my usual text font to Bravura, it doesn’t change to music font, I must insert these glyphs with the usual text parameter in Dorico, right?

Dorico can handle independent barlines and meters, so you shouldn’t have to hide a repeat bar, but rather create a repeat bar that only applies to that staff only, which is what I taught you to do, using Alt as a modifier.

You should input the glyphs as Text, Shift+X, and change the font in the popover.

Well… I m trying exactly as you told me concerning bars, when I do Alt and select the bar in the Bar menu, the wanted bar is showed next to my Thumb-mark, so I guess this is normal, but then, when I click just before where I want it, on the wished instrument, it adds a repeat bar on the second instrument as well, so… I don’t know.

Concerning the text, there’s only text (I m trying for example U+EAE1) when I close the popover (Bravura, or Bravura text), as you can see here:
Capture-03.png
so… I don’t understand, is it because I m using MasOS Sierra 10.12.14?

All best

Regarding the text, you have to copy the glyph itself. It seems you’re copying the name of the codepoint.

As for the repeat bar, I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. It sounded as if you were loading the cursor with the item, in which case you have to press the mouse with the Alt button engaged. Also, you have to act on the staff that has a different meter — if you try it on a staff with the correct “global” meter, it will show on all staves.

Oooo I see… ok now, it’s working, thank you very much for your patience LSalgueiro, I couldn’t find how to add a time signature on one staff only, now I did. And the text is working as well!

Now I have a very last question, after that I think I will be set quite for a moment: Is there a possibility to hide a barline? Because I found in the options you have in the menu below the score window, when you click on a barline, a button named (in french version) “Barre de mesure masquée”, which basically is translated as “Hidden Barline”, although when I click on it nothing happens to the barline, even in Engrave mode. Is there a way to hide barlines?

Thanks again for your precious help.
Valentin V.

You’re quite right: it seems that the Hidden barline property isn’t working, unless I’m doing something wrong as well. To be honest, since Dorico affords us such metric liberty, I had never tried hiding a barline until now! For that same reason, there is no “invisible” bar line as can be found in other softwares. Hopefully someone from the team will chime in on this; in the meantime, I would advise you to create independent time signatures that match the real bar duration and hiding them.

Ok, actually I tried to do exactly what you suggested just above while you were answering me and it seems to work perfectly, although it’s quite a huge way to finally get exactly what you really want, this kind of handwritten music is always instinctive and quite simple to write, here you have to pass through some steps to finally get in… but it’s working now, everything. Thanks again.

You don’t need to hide a bar line, just select it and delete it?

Actually I tried, but there were problems with music that came afterwards, it’s really easier to put another meter for one staff, delete time signature and then delete the extra-left-over barline in the middle of the new bar, which actually isn’t useful anymore. With that way it work’s perfectly. When the piece will be finished I can show you the result as an example for other users, if you’re interested.

Of course - all examples greatly received!

Hello to all,

Here is finally what I achieved to engrave with all of your advices:

and I’m quite happy with the result, thank you all again. If you have any return/suggestions, they’re of course welcome.

I wish you a good reading.

Valentin V.

That looks super, Valentin.