Dorico becomes very slow after a while...

Thanks for the explanation Daniel, I am glad that you were able to find out what caused the problem and that it’s acutally my unusually use of the program that gave this effect. Well, all these unexpected uses help to make Dorico become the best notation software around :slight_smile:

Daniel -
I too am experiencing significant slowdown. My problem appears related to the size of my project. If I take a subset of my piece (first 3 pages) everything works fine, but it takes anywhere from 10 to 60 seconds for my screen to refresh when working with the full score. Given that my piece is scored for a quartet and is only about 200 bars long, clearly this should not be happening. I can continue work by splitting my piece up, but that is obviously not a good solution.

I have tried the usual fixes - restarting Mac, closing and opening Dorico - but no luck.

I am running late 2012 Mac Mini, Sierra 10.12.6, with 16 Gig

I will e-mail you files. Hopefully I am doing something dumb.

Hi,

I’m currently running a trialversion of Dorico 1.1.1 on my 2015 MacBook-Pro and have a similar issue:

Dorico gets ridiculously slow after just a minute after launching the software.
By the way - even if I just have 1 Player and just some bars of music!!

It suddenly takes 100% CPU-Usage (according to activity-monitor).

Looking for the reason, I’ve discovered, that it obviously has something to do with the “MIDISERVER” background process:

If I kill this process (via activity-monitor) Dorico’s CPU Usage immediately falls back to under 1 % in idle state or just a very few percent, when I’m working with it and is responsive as it should be.

Additional Information:

I’m using a Roland A-88 Master-Keyboard, which has, by the way, strange issues with the MIDI-Server-task anyway.
Sometimes the MIDIServer-Process itself takes too much CPU-Power.
BUT - when I was facing the described issue, the A-88 was not even connected to the computer. (!)

Maybe this information is helpful for the developers.

Thanks for your attention.

Best -

Andreas

That all sounds very odd. MIDIserver isn’t part of Dorico, and we’ve not heard reports of this before.

We have certainly experienced problems where a MIDI keyboard or other MIDI device is flooding Dorico with MIDI data, which then ends up choking the application and making it unresponsive. Can you try following the steps on this page and zip up and attach the results of the Snoize MIDI Monitor process? Also, please do Help > Create Diagnostic Report from Dorico’s menus and attach the resulting zip file, which is saved on your desktop, to a reply here too.

Hi,

thanks for your replies.

I have attached a screenshot and the Diagnostics-ZIP.

I will also go on searching for the reason(s) for this strange behaviour.

Best -

Andreas

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (301 KB)

Hey guys,

I’ve probably found the reason:

As the problem only occurred in my studio I tried to disconnect all USB-Devices step by step.
When I disconnect my “RME ARC USB”-Remote device for my Fireface UFX Dorico is immediately as responsive as expected again.

Obviously, the continuous MIDI-Data generated by the ARC is causing this slow down.
Maybe it is an idea to implement a MIDI-filter option in order to ignore the Input of a certain MIDI-Port or filter certain MIDI-events?

Best -
Andreas

Paul describes a way to disable midi devices manually in this post:

Note that you’ll need to find the correct name of your midi device. Daniel describes a method for this right below Pauls answer.

Hi Anders,

thanks for your reply!
It works!

Best -

Andreas

If it’s SysEx data that the ARC is outputting then that’s something that should be fixed in the next update

Dear Daniel,

I’m also experiencing really slow input in Dorico - reading through this post, it seems the best idea to send you a copy of the score file at your email address?

best and many thanks,
Cheryl

Yes, please do send me your project and we’ll take a look. Please also do Help > Create Diagnostic Report, and attach the zip file saved to your desktop to the email as well. If you’re on Mac, it would also be useful if you could attach a system profile: choose About this Mac from the Apple menu at the top left-hand corner of the screen, click the System Report button, then choose File > Save Report, and attach that report to the email too.

For me too Dorico showed a latency at MIDI input. Daniel, I sent you my files on wednesday.

I closed and restartet Dorico, I closed any other aplication, I restartet Mac OS - nothing helped.

Today I came back to work on a Dorico project that was allready opened and that had the MIDI input latency yesterday. But today everything is fine. I only have a very small latency. Very strange!

Thomas

Thomas, what kind of MIDI hardware do you have? It might be interesting to install and run Snoize MIDI Monitor to see whether it’s chucking out a continuous stream of MIDI controller or system exclusive messages – we have added some filtering to the forthcoming update so that Dorico will ignore these messages and they can thus not cause the program to become slower or unresponsive as it tries to handle all of the incoming messages.

If you have multiple MIDI devices and one of them is some kind of remote controller that outputs lots of sysex then there’s also a method of disabling a single device in dorico. See Choose Midi Port? - #9 by gerrie - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Daniel,
I use a Behriner U-Control UMX49 MIDI Keyboard for note input. It is connected via USB directly to my iMac.
I’ve sent you an email on wednesday with some diagnostic files and a Dorico file attached.

I tried Snoize MIDI Monitor and it seems that my MIDI keyboard continously sends MIDI data. See the attached and zipped Snoize file.

Thomas
MIDI data.mmon.zip (6.48 KB)

Why is your keyboard sending out “Chorus Send Level” messages continuously? Perhaps you can make sure that all of the various knobs and sliders etc. are set to 0 and are not being nudged or twiddled unnecessarily.

All knobs are set to 0, no buttons pressed. I don’t know why there’s continously data sent. I’ll try to find it out. Turning the keyboard off and on again did not help.

Thomas

I reset my keyboard to factory settings. Now it doesn’t send any continous messages and Dorico doesn’t have any latency anymore.

Thank you Daniel for your advice to use Snoize MIDI Monitor, which I did not know before.

Thomas

Great, I’m glad you were able to sort this out!