Direct OFFline Processing - Tails

Hi

Am I misunderstating the DOP Tails setting in Nuendo 8.1?

I take a clip, open DOP, add a reverb ( e.g. Revelation ), adjust to have a long/wet reverb tail, set the DOP “Tail” toolbar adjustment to 2000 ms , return to the Project, play the clip … the Reverb cuts off right at the end of the event, just like it did before. No tail at all.

What am I missing? I assume it’s meant to be like it is/was in Wavelab … with tails activated I should hear the processing continue after the source event ends.

Thanks

I have same question.

Can you extend the event though to get the tail (after processing)?

Set the (ms) amount in the DOP window before opening the plug in. that’s the way it works currently. I already reported this as an inconvenience way of working and hope they can change it. But it does work for me.

Hi

So I set 2000ms in the DOP Pane for a tail length … now that value shows up in all DOP instances when I open them.

However there is no audible tail either in the Project playback. Same if Auto apply is on or if I apply the Process manually.

Extending the Process Range Value doesn’t make a difference either. ( although I wouldn’t expect it to… )

Only using SB plug ins … Delay and Reverb to test.

Can’t see what I’m doing wrong.

At this point in development Nuendo should be able just include tails automatically for heaven’s sake.

( BTW on Mac Os 10.12.6, 16 GB RAM, Quad Core 2.6GHz i7, Intel HD 40000 Graphics … at least i don’t have any GUI issues! )

Hi

Can anyone confirm that Nuendo 8.1 Direct Processing tails does anything???

I have set the DP Tails value to 3000 ms. That value shows up whenever DP opens.

I apply a Nuendo Plug in Process ( e.g. reverb ) to a clip. I hear it in the preview playback. I close the DP window and play the timeline. During the event playback the process is present, but the instant the event ends the process cuts out. So in this case no reverb tail ringing out.

Or isn’t this what the Tails option does??

Like MattiasNYC asked before: did you try extending the rendered clip after processing? The reverb should then be revealed. Offline Processing doesn’t extend the clip for you. You have to drag the end to the right to be able to hear it. Or did you already try that? I’m still on 7, so I can’t check.

HI

Thanks for the advice

In regards to extending the clip after processing - when I do that all I see is audio that exists in the original clip, just as if the clip out point was moved with no direct offline processing. Besides not hearing any tail its material that obviously doesn’t need to be in the project at all! Just handles left by the Video editor. If a new clip is rendered shouldn’t it be replaced in the timeline? Should I even be able to see the original clip material ( past the setting in the DOP effect extension time) Or is Nuendo smart enough to go back to the original clip is a DOP’d clip (sounds rude! ) has its boundaries adjusted in the project ?

Do any of you hear the tail in the actual DOP window when you preview the effect with no loop? i.e.When the clip stops does the effect ring out. Mine doesn’t.

I’m baffled. I so want this to work …

Here is the solution. First you got to convert the clip into a new audio clip at the audio menu. Then it works. Here is my german review:

This is not how it should work or how we expect it. And at DOP you can’t move a lot of plugins at the same it. And it’s sad, that favorites are always added at the last plugin. Perhaps you want to add it before the last plugin, before the compressor. Some things are not well developed.

Thanks Tim for the suggestion

But no dice here. I can select an event, use Bounce Selection to create a new Audio event, apply a DOP with Tails activated and the effect still cuts out at the end of the event when it plays in the Project.

I also think that the presence of a time setting in the DOP pane to “Extend Process Range” ( I suppose to process render extra trimmed audio either end of the event) pretty much tells us that the idea is to be able to process trimmed clips without creating a new trimmed version.

Again … are Tails working for anyone in DOP??

Tail is okay in my case if the audio is not time stretched. Nuendo does not like time stretched audio in such cases – been there, done that.
ALWAYS BOUNCE to apply DOP with tail.

HI

OK … not working on a project now so I went the nuclear option and reinstalled everything.

And yes … now I can see tails having an effect! Yay … kind of. As was pointed out here it seems that if an event has handles ( which all my events do ) then Tails don’t work. Or at least if I apply a DOP and then extend the Event to hear the tails I hear the audio content in the handles … and no tail!

If I bounce the event to a new clip … then when I apply a DOP with a Tail I can see Nuendo adjusting the length of the new event in the Project window.

So what the heck is the “Extend Process Range” box for? If I Bounce Down then theres never any content “outside the event boarders” ( as the manual says ).

I think this should be classified and a bug … if not just broken.

Just encountered this too, this definitely feels like a bug too, adjusting the tail should absolutely be possible AFTER adding a plugin. Te current implementation is cumbersome and in some ways a step backward from what we had (because when we used to use Preview and adjust the tail in the previous approach, it would update immediately and we could hear the changes).

I’ve just confirmed - Cubase 10.5 - it’s still required to first set the Tails value, then add the processes and plugins. Doing so afterwards leads to unpredictable results.

It’s 2020 and we still have this problem. Please open a support ticket to report this issue, I think it helps if more of us do that.

+1 - still seems to be happening. Adding tail AFTER a plugin is already in DOP and it does nothing. have to add tail before adding an insert.

Thanks for the update…

You know, this has been an issue for over 5 years. IMO its a basic workflow/functionality requirement that needs to be in place for DOP to be a feature and not a headache.

It’s same with Ripple editing. I’ve been making requests for that for probably 20 years!!!

But SB just wont listen, or just don’t want to address changes that might be hard. I had a SB rep from Germany tell me that straight out at NAB one year.

They know we’ll keep buying updates, the other options out there to actually get pro work done are scant so they just keep working on features that a few high end users want. Don’t get me wrong ADR/ATMOS/ Auto Conform / Netflix metering are great but there hasn’t been a serious review of basic editing features and workflow since the days of Cubase Audio. In many respects any pro NLE ( I edit video too ) runs rings around Cubendo for bread and butter efficiency in timeline editing, audio to picture, sync operations etc . I sometimes wonder if all the audio-only users out there know what they missing out on.

SB ( and to be fair ProTools ) are stuck on “Tape Recorder” thinking. Yup I’ve done a lot of Tape Machine editing to picture in the old days and it was tricky! Obviously Nuendo is way better … but the processes and workflow seem stuck in that mindset.

I don’t want SB to upend the boat … but architecting some vaguely modern options into what exists for all users is really urgent. But if they haven’t listened for decades , why would they now?

What features am I talking about?

Clip Based effects ( DOP is a hack lets face it )
Clip Roles and sorting … bringing together similar material/characters
Full timeline Rippling which follows video edits
Multiple monitoring of multiple video tracks to help track video changes in environments where conforming isn’t a thing.
Dealing with mismatched audio formats/sample rates etc on import. Especially from AAF.

I haven’t explained these well ( or at all ) but lots more IMO.

Sometimes it makes me mad…

Well said, well said.

:-/ … this doesn’t come as a total surprise, does it?

What a pity.

No … just venting!

I have generally found DOP very inconsistent, perhaps it’s plugin dependent, like some plugins have code offline code and others don’t I’m not sure. If that is the problem then Steinberg needs to specific in the VST spec that plugins need to conform to offline standards so that such features in Steinberg and other DAWs work correctly.

I’ve found that the DOP end result, doesn’t always sound the same as real-time playback. A large part of the way I use DOP, is dumping my inserts out into the DOP to make room for more inserts. The results in sound can be very different.

Other times, I have gotten artifacts in my DOP processes.

So despite the workflow and processing power advantage of using DOP, I’m hesitant to use it.

I’m suspicious of RIP as well now, there has been some issues there as well. One time, RIP was missing the first event in a selection and only silence was rendered out.

I need these things to sound exactly as they do when I’m listening in real-time.

I’d almost prefer DRP, Direct Real-Time Processing.

Highly disappointed as a new-ish Cubase user to find this functionality and immediately realize how broken it is. Extra sad coming from Studio One where this was a pretty straight forward, drag and drop function (right onto the event) and the tail just happens (not sure if it’s offline processing though so don’t quote me). Don’t get me wrong…I like having the option to adjust the tail but that doesn’t matter if it doesn’t work. There are SOOOOO MANY THINGS I love about Cubase yet there just might be an equal amount of IRRITATING things about it. Such weird simple things that should not be present and seem to remain unfixed and unanswered. Oh well.