Staccato articulation is retained [bug??]

I’m on WIN 10.

Did you try it on alto sax, or clarinet? I’ll post another video. Look at how odd this is!!!

So I may have an answer. (Maybe). I tried again but instead of inputting into an alto sax player (Solo Player), I went to Setup and added a Section Player and the section player had correct behavior. WOW - I would have never thought this would be required. I mean it makes sense that one would need a section to have multiple notes sounding (chords), but I wouldn’t think trying to input chords in a solo player staff would give unexpected articulations. There must be some deep code going on there unless my copy of Dorico is really messed up.

You aren’t the only one experiencing this! I just started noticing this the last two nights. But unfortunately I have not found a solution. In certain files but not all, no matter what I try, chord input via computer keyboard produces unwanted articulations (accent and staccato) … and unless I’m going crazy, sometimes the unwanted articulations are mysteriously reinstated after I remove them, necessitating that I remove them more than once (similar to what happens when already removed rests sometimes have to be removed again after a redraw).

In case it’s platform specific, I’m on a mac too. Just wanted you to know you’re not alone! If I ever find a solution, I will post here.

Hi musicmaven,

I’ve only had a chance to use version 1.2 twice since installing, but so far this problem seems to have disappeared. Does it persist for you after upgrading?

I’m certain that there can be no distinction between solo and section players that could account for any difference in behaviour.

Perhaps, musicmaven, you could try quitting and restarting Dorico, starting a new project with a single player and instrument, and create two chords. If the problem reproduces, save the project, do Help > Create Diagnostic Report, and attach both the project file and the zip file created on your desktop containing the diagnostic files here.

Daniel, I tried creating a new project with single player and everything seems to be working correctly now. I’ll let you know if it happens again, and send a Diagnostic Report. Thanks for your help!

Has anyone else encountered this bug? (and has it been fixed in versions after 2.2.10? I still have that one)

I’ve noticed it too in a project I am working on at the moment. It’s a piano score (therefore lots of chords) and all chords in the right hand automatically get an accent attached to them, whereas all chords in the left hand automatically get an accent and a staccato mark attached to them, regardless of whether I select or deselect those articulations during input. If I select an articulation that cannot be coincident with an accent or a staccato mark (e.g. a marcato or staccatissimo) it will change to that articulation, until such time as I deselect the marcato or staccatissimo (leaving no articulation selected), upon which new chords entered will return to the original staccato/accent mark. It seems to be limited to one flow in the project—i.e. in other flows it is possible to create chords which only have the articulations I have explicitly selected, rather than retaining unwanted articulations that have not been selected.

As such I was able to “solve” the problem by creating a new flow and copying all the music into it, and then deleting the original flow. But I still have no idea what causes it.

Yes, this bug did get fixed, but not in Dorico 2, I’m afraid. You might want to consider updating to Dorico 3 at some point, though while this is inconvenient it’s probably not enough on its own to make it worth buying the update! (There are lots of other lovely new features in Dorico 3, of course.)

No worries, just glad to know it’s a solved issue. I will definitely be upgrading to 3 as soon as I have an orchestral score to write.

I’m still seeing this problem. I’m using Dorico Pro 3.5. It seems to happen when there is a group of notes that are staccato under a slur. It doesn’t always happen, but it’s unpredictable. When I go back and remove the staccatos things seem to go back to normal. It’s to the point that I will replace a staccato eighth note with a non-staccato 16th note, just to get around the problem. But it is NOT fixed.

Welcome to the forum, tromoff. It sounds like the problem you’re reporting concerns playback, right? The issue under discussion in this thread concerns note input, not playback. Perhaps you could upload a simple example showing the problem you’re experiencing so we can look into it for you?

OK, I did send an email to support with a short video showing what is going on. I’m seeing this problem more and more often. One staccato note somewhere in the piece turns on staccato for everything following it on playback. It’s becoming so that Dorico is unusable.

We have already found and fixed a bug concerning staccato becoming stuck on since 3.5 was released, which will hopefully solve your case. If you want to attach your project here (zip it up first) and tell me where staccato is getting stuck on, we’ll check that the case you’ve experienced is definitively fixed.

I’ve run into a similar, or maybe the same, problem (using Dorico Pro 3.5) where a Staccato setting on a note resulted in Staccato getting stuck “on” during playback for all subsequent notes in the Flow. After much experimentation, I narrowed my issue down to the tied note scenario shown in the first screen shot. After more experimentation, I found a workaround where I could force the Staccato to affect only the intended tied notes by inserting a rest as indicated in the second screen shot. And to make sure something else wasn’t impacting it, I started a new “debug” project with all default factory settings (except for tablature) to confirm my findings. The two screen shots are from my stripped down “debug” project. The instrument I used is Steel Guitar VX from Halion Sonic SE3, but I’ve found the specific instrument didn’t matter – others had same issue.

Attached are two screen shots of additional workarounds to the problem scenario I described in my prior post. One workaround uses an accent mark at the same rhythmic position as the Staccato in the tied chain, while the other uses a nat. pt on the first note after the tied chain. Both result in turning the Staccato “off” after the tied chain.

Welcome to the forum, VG Kawanzan. If you want to attach your debug poject here we can take a look in the current development builds and verify that this case is handled by the fix we have already put in.

Thanks, Daniel. My debug project is attached. During playback, Staccato remains stuck “on” for the remainder of the Flow after the tied note with a staccato in measure 24 is played.

Debug Project 1.zip (455 KB)

Your project plays back fine in my current development build, Vince. Thanks for providing it.

Great! Nice to know. Thanks for checking it out.