Cubase 9.5 Features in Nuendo 8 - When?

You can say that all you want, but the fact is that the industry leader in post-production catered to this and you didn’t, and on the other end of the spectrum there’s Reaper.

Again: What do you have to lose here?

based on this then, one should assume that HOA asset production - for use in game audio, VR, and 360/immersive video - is simply not something Steinberg thinks is a priority.

For me, this suits very well. VR can wait IMO.

There is plenty to do to make Nuendo even better DAW for film and TV like location recording workflow etc. I don’t know about Reaper, but main competition for Nuendo is Pro Tools and while it is also a great DAW it has great flaws as well like the video engine etc. I’m glad that SB isn’t trying to ride every horse in field…

I agree that some fixes have taken way too long and I’d love to have more company level interaction here but still…
Nuendo is a great tool (greatest IMO) so while so much whining is going on I’d like thank Timo again for participating here and really hope to “see” you more often.

Whining? Just seems like users expressing their concerns over valid issues.

I’d like to add my voice to the “thank you’s” for feedback from the dev. It does help.
I’ve been using Nuendo off and on since v5, and my question for Timo is when will Nuendo have a realistic ability to export audio/video? Prior to v8, it was a kind of clunky “replace audio in video file”, and now there’s not even that option. I know there are workarounds using 3rd party software, but often, very often, I need to just highlight a section and quickly fire off a chunk of video with audio for approval. I can do this in Pro Tools, Logic, DP, or Reaper, but can’t do it in Nuendo. I understand the video engine re-design, QT being an end-of-life technology etc, but for me, this simply forces me into other hosts, especially if I know I’ll have to do it quickly and regularly.
I like Nuendo, and accept it’s flaws as “works in progress”, but for me at least, this makes it largely unusable in it’s current state. Other issues with N8 have been widely spoken of, and I hope those will be addressed soon as well.

Cheers

Thank you very much for this questions. Video Rendering is the next topic on our list regarding the further video engine development.
Replacing the QT engine has been a major task for us and there are still some open feature requests that are currently adressed.
Video rendering is another big topic which will take some time to be realized properly. It is definitely scheduled for Nuendo 9.

Thanks,
Timo

Timo,
will Video Rendering come to Cubase as well? It’s one of those features with a universal appeal for both music production and post.
As a film composer I don’t really need any of the postproduction workflows, but I do need the Edit Mode, Multi-branch Undo, Advanced Crossfade editor and… Video Rendering.

Video rendering will replace the old Replace Audio in Video option. It’s of course also coming to Cubase.

+1 to OP

I just read through this thread with interest. I’m a recent Cubase 9.5 user, and really want a few of the features in Nuendo (edit mode, mostly, which is absurd that it’s not in Cubase), but with Nuendo always being behind the great new features of Cubase, I’m not going to do it.

This, to me, is not smart of Steinberg because I’m sure there are many in the same boat as me. I would highly recommend, from a business standpoint, that things be arranged to get them both on the same release schedule.

Not only is this the best and most insightful comment that I have ever read on any Steinberg forum in the last eighteen years, it might be the best and most insightful comment that I have ever read on any forum. Sadly.

Isn’t that just a wee bit cynical? It all depends on who you are explaining a thing to, I would think.

Proverbs says: “The wise store up knowledge, but the mouth of a fool invites ruin.”

In my experience, just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so valuable information only appeals to those who wish to learn. Sadly, that is not everybody. But it is somebody.

Mr. Boatman,

Thank you so much for quoting me completely out of context, I can only guess what you are trying to achieve.

This quote was taken’ out of a response to why the Nuendo automation system is different to the Cubase system.
I said that I explained the differences many times before and that I wouldn’t repeat it in this thread.

The reason for not explaining the differences again is because everybody has his/her own truth, his/her own personal view on how things should work. Therefore any argumentation/explenation that is brought forward for why things ahve been implemented (or not) in a certain way, will automatically generate a stream of political arguments pro- or contra. I will gladly explain any technical thing, but I stay away from political discussions. Been there, done that, bought the T-Shirt.

Fredo

I thought he was agreeing with you…???

Yes, that’s what I thought as well.

I think much of the reason forums get so weird is the absence of non-verbal clues from complete strangers during communication. Is that guy/girl smiling or clenching their teeth when they say that? Sarcasm/humor/sincerity/irony/anger/dissing? Often a mystery. Leaving the reader’s own current mental and emotional state to fill in that blank, often with poor results.

But, yeah, I thought he was really complimenting Fredo even if he mistook what Fredo actually meant.

I read it as being highly ironic/sarcastic.
My bad.

Fredo

Unfortunately, I can’t use 8.1 for my work, still too many issues for me. After installing 7.1.40 I have to convert majority of videos from h.264 (almost all editors send me videos in this codec over the internet). I’d like to downgrade to 7.1.35 but looks like there is no such option. I am waiting for that maintenance update. I still have some hope, but there is pretty unusable 8 version for half year and last 7.1.40 upgrade introduced me to complications in my workflow without any improvements and there is statement that it’s last upgrade for 7. Please, at least fix video engine issues for 7 version.

Hello,

I cannot promise that all video rendering functions will make it into Cubase. It is too early to have a comment on that.
Well, some of the features you listed are heavily used in post-production :wink:

Thanks,
Timo

Therein lies the issue for us composers, Timo. Composers need features like the ones he mentioned, but Nuendo is always far behind Cubase with features for music, features that help us greatly. I hope Steinberg can reconcile this problem in some way, because it’s very tiring for some of us.

Meanwhile, an update on me, the original poster. About 6 weeks ago I bit the bullet and ‘switched’ to Cubase Pro. I am happy with my decision and only miss a few things about Nuendo (namely Edit Mode, exporting individual files from the timeline, etc), but feel that the trade off for the new features in Cubase are worth it for me. The features I miss are useful for scoring to picture, for music, and just useful workflow things in general. It always makes me a little mad and resentful when I realize that a feature is missing in Cubase and that I effectively have to make a decision as to which features I get when using a Steinberg product (up-to-date composing features, and more recent stability fixes, vs more fully featured audio workflow). Steinberg, it is a bad business model to make customers resentful when using your products. We shouldn’t have to settle. I am willing to pay for a premium product that has it all, but that is not how you treat Nuendo IMHO.

But regardless, if I hadn’t switched, and was still waiting on the Nuendo update to provide even the stability enhancements that Cubase has had for a long time now, I’d be pretty upset.

Yours.
B

Perfectly said, umfufu. My switch to Cubase/Nuendo (well, a trial of Nuendo that I ditched once seeing it didn’t have some of the great newer features of Cubase) from PT over two years has been great in some ways and disappointing in others – this being one of them. We’ll see where I end up landing.