Dorico in the news: reviews, interviews, articles, podcasts (updated 2 Mar 24)

Read the first part of Alexander Plötz’s review of Dorico 1.2 on ScoringNotes.com:

The cueing feature introduced with Dorico 1.2 is nothing less than a game changer.

Dorico 1.2 review, part 1: Cues, new notation techniques and other improvements (5 December 2017)

Educator Dr Steven Berryman reviewed Dorico for Music Education UK:

I recommend taking a look at Dorico – you will be surprised by the intuitive nature of the ‘write’ process and will discover some possibilities that other software has not been able to do with such ease. The Dorico journey is not quite over yet and you might find some features that do not match the likes of Sibelius but, given time, I sense we are going to have an impressive software that is going to allow greater freedom in the composing process not only for those in schools but also those working professionally.

Review: Dorico (7 December 2017)
https://musiceducationuk.com/resources/review-dorico/

Flautist Carla Rees, editor of Pan, the journal of the British Flute Society, reviews Dorico on AboutFlutes.co:

My overall impression of Dorico is that it has been created with the user in mind, and that it solves many of the problems that Sibelius and Finale users have become accustomed to finding complicated work-arounds for. While switching programmes and learning a new interface is an investment in time, I have no doubt that Dorico’s intelligence and flexibility makes it worthwhile. Highly recommended.

Dorico: the future of notation software? (8 December 2017)
https://aboutflutes.co/dorico-the-future-of-notation-software/

Alexander Plötz returns with the second instalment of his Dorico 1.2 review for ScoringNotes.com.

Dorico 1.2 review, part 2: Fingering (22 December 2017)

I was interviewed by music educator Robby Burns for his podcast the week before Christmas, and the episode is now available. It’s long (a shade over two hours) but hopefully interesting.

Robby Burns & Friends – Season 3, Episode 2 (6 January 2018)

An article by user interface designer and musician Shaya Lyon for Chamber Music magazine, in which she interviewed Miller Puckette, the architect of Max/MSP and Pure Data, and me about some of the considerations that went into building Dorico.

Chamber Music magazine: The Mind Behind (Fall 2017 issue)
http://www.chamber-music.org/mag/2017/fall/index.html?page=88

A quick round-up of recent articles, awards, videos and podcasts coinciding with last week’s NAMM Show in Anaheim, California:

Scoring Notes: NAMM 2018: A Dorico conversation with Daniel Spreadbury and John Barron, with audio

Scoring Notes: Daniel Spreadbury presents Dorico at the American Film Institute, Hollywood (23 January 2018)

Sound on Sound Awards 2018: Dorico is Highly Commended (February 2018 issue)

Game Audio Hour #163: Daniel Spreadbury and Dorico (22 January 2018)
http://www.gameaudiohour.com/2018/01/22/game-audio-hour-163/

Scoring Notes has another of its in-depth looks at the new Dorico 1.2.10 release, here:

Scoring Notes: Dorico 1.2.10 update brings program-wide improvements (21 February 2018)

Reviewer Alex Plötz in part 3 of Scoring Notes’s exhaustive review of Dorico 1.2, this part dedicated to percussion:

Dorico’s implementation of percussion notation is truly head-and-shoulders above all previous attempts by other software… Once you have worked with Dorico’s percussion for a while you will not be able to return to other programs without suddenly being keenly aware of what they have been missing in that area.

Scoring Notes: Dorico 1.2 review part 3: Percussion (26 February 2018)

Philip Rothman of Scoring Notes has assembled an all-star panel of reviewers to weigh in on Dorico Pro 2.

Dorico is the clear trailblazer these days, and its appeal to the next generation should not be underestimated, especially with the entry of the Dorico Elements product.

Scoring Notes: Dorico Pro 2 review: Major update surprises, exceeds expectations; lower-cost “Elements” introduced (30 May 2018)

Mark Sealey has reviewed Dorico Pro 2 for MyMac.com, scoring it a perfect 10/10:

The claim that Dorico represents the future of music notation is not exaggerated. Yet – given Dorico Pro 2’s comprehensive functionality, flexibility, elegance, and stability – that “future” is really already here… Dorico Pro 2 now looks set to sweep all before it.

Dorico Pro 2 – Review (25 June 2018)

Mark Nowakowski has given a very positive review of Dorico Pro 2 in Communities Digital News:

Dorico Pro 2 now leads the field… the most significant move forward in notation software since Sibelius first entered the market.

Dorico 2: New version of music notation software answers user requests (1 July 2018)

A review by Dan Kreider of Grace Music, the online arm of the Grace Immanuel Bible Church, who has been a Finale user for 20 years and recently switched to Dorico:

Dorico has exceeded my expectations in every way, and it’s already changing the way I write and arrange… The bottom line is that Dorico is just worlds better than Finale.

Grace Music: A Dorico Review (25 July 2018)
https://gracemusic.us/2018/07/a-dorico-review/

I was recently a guest on Australian educator Katie Wardrobe’s podcast, Music Tech Teacher. We discussed a number of Dorico’s unique features, and how it can be an invaluable tool for music educators. Give it a listen!

Music Tech Teacher podcast, episode 62 (5 August 2016)

Another in-depth review of the new features and improvements in Dorico 2.1 from Philip Rothman and team over at Scoring Notes:

Of the three major scoring products, Dorico is the leader in innovation. It easily feels the most modern of any of the programs and with each update the program both introduces unique features and checks off the list those items where it hadn’t achieved parity with its competitors. It’s not yet an empty list, but it is an ever-dwindling one.

Scoring Notes: Dorico 2.1 released — large update boasts many new features and fixes

Philip Rothman and team have published an in-depth review of the new Dorico 2.2 update today:

Dorico 2.2 is the best update yet to the software. It makes you wonder if the team ever takes a break… From the jazz articulations and repeats, to trills, note input, advanced editors and so much more, it’s a feast of features and improvements that make Dorico ever-more appealing — continuing to propel it forward and, Steinberg surely hopes, into the hands of many more customers this holiday season and into 2019.

Scoring Notes: Dorico 2.2 is the best update yet

Dr George Hess has written a review both of Dorico 2.2 and Groove Agent 4 for School Band & Orchestra magazine, focusing on the improvements in both applications for jazz musicians:

Each new feature is implemented exceptionally well. What has become clear is that Dorico is combining both power and ease of use into one program. It’s also clear that Steinberg is committed to supporting the program. As a jazz composer/arranger, I appreciate both the attention to my needs and how well they have implemented them.

School Band & Orchestra Magazine: Steinberg Does Jazz (10 January 2019)
http://sbomagazine.com/technology/6414-steinberg-does-jazz.html

Guitarist and composer Matthew Wang reviews Dorico Pro 2 for Sonic Scoop:

I truly believe Steinberg’s Dorico 2 may be the best standalone notation software available, especially in terms of overall efficiency and ease of use. I highly encourage you to check it out—you won’t be disappointed.

Sonic Scoop: Dorico 2 Review (15 January 2019)
https://sonicscoop.com/2019/01/15/new-software-review-dorico-2-by-steinberg/

Florian Kretlow and Philip Rothman review Dorico 2.2.10 for Scoring Notes:

The update introduces improvements across all areas of the program and addresses a number of bug fixes as well, making it a solid iteration of the program and a worthwhile update to the massive 2.2 release from November.

Scoring Notes: Dorico 2.2.10 released with improvements and bug fixes (5 February 2019)

Toby Deller speaks to composers about their experiences of Dorico notation software in January 2019’s issue of Music Teacher.

It just feels intuitive. When I’m working within it, things happen as I expect them to happen: if I delete something, things don’t happen around that edit that I’m not expecting. – Mark Bowler

Classical Music: What’s the score? (7 February 2019)