Hide Automation line in group Channels?

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 8, Cubase Artist 8 and Cubase Elements 8 here.
jconstantine

Hide Automation line in group Channels?

Post by jconstantine » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 am

Hi
Is there a way to hide the automation line in group channels?
Every time I add a group channel that line appears.
Windows 10 64 ,i7 7700k 4.2 Ghz,32 RAM DDR4,Asus Prime Z270-A ,Nvidia GForce GT710,SSD 250 GB,RME UFX+,RME AIO,Apollo 8,Macbook Air i5 2017,Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab 9.5, Halion 6, GA4,Pro Tools 12.8, UAD 2, SSL Native, Waves Gold,hardware synths & samplers.
Kronos2, Avid Artist Mix,Yamaha 01v96i,NS10,Behritone,Genelec 8050a and VXT8

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Re: Hide Automation line in group Channels?

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:13 pm

Hi,

No, this is not possible. The Group Track is represented by the Volume (or other parameter) automation track. What would you prefer to see instead of the automation lane? Of course, you can hide the whole Group track, same as other tracks.
Martin Jirsak
How to show notes of the chord/scale only
Cubase Training

Cubase Pro (last officially supported version all the time)
macOS (last update)

Komeci

Post by Komeci » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 am

I would like to see nothing, because I have many group channels, and too often I accidentally click with my cursor on those lines, which automatically creates a point and changes the volume of the channel. Sometimes I don't even notice that this happened. So I would like to turn this off from happening.

raino
Grand Senior Member

Post by raino » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:39 pm

Komeci wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:06 am
I would like to see nothing, because I have many group channels, and too often I accidentally click with my cursor on those lines, which automatically creates a point and changes the volume of the channel. Sometimes I don't even notice that this happened. So I would like to turn this off from happening.
Then like Martin says turn off the visibility for the Group Track in the Project Window. The main reason they show-up there is to access their automation. Make sure you aren't syncing the visibility for the Project & MixConsole or maybe (not at DAW to check) there are Visibility Agents in the Project Window.
rodger

Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Win10 Home, Halion6, BFD3, GPO, Komplete Ultimate 9, Waves Gold, Misc. other

i7 4771 Haswell Processor 3.5GHz, ADK LGA1150, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX970, RME Fireface 400, 2x UAD-2

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 pm

You can also hide the whole group of tracks/channels by the type. Then if you add a new one, it will be hidden.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

jditmer0

Post by jditmer0 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:05 pm

lol the responses on here... like you would ever want to hide your group tracks... The whole hide/unhide specific tracks in the project is a useless feature IMO. I want to see all tracks at all times. If there are too many tracks that are visible, that just means you need to do more organizing by putting tracks into folders and collapsing the ones you aren't using. There is no reason at all for there to be a line shown next to group tracks for the volume that it is currently set to, unless you are automating it. The line should be visible ONLY when you are automating the track, otherwise it is just cluttering the project area with pointless lines that mean nothing.
-john

marQs

Post by marQs » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:03 am

jditmer0 wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:05 pm
lol the responses on here... like you would ever want to hide your group tracks... The whole hide/unhide specific tracks in the project is a useless feature IMO...
You got some useful replies. Just not the one you might have wished. Claiming the whole visibilty management was useless therefore 'lols' me :lol:

In fact I know the problem very well as it happens to me as well. Accidentially created automation points are not even easily undo-able which can be bothering indeed. All not a big problem for me as I tend to stack my groups on the bottom of the project (= less danger to do unwanted things as they're not everywhere).

Visibility management can be handy there though. There are key commands for hiding/showing track types. Just hide/unhide the groups with a single keystroke. Project and mixer view can or cannot be synced, so it's possible to hide them in project but have all time access in the mixer (not practical for users who work mainly in the project window maybe).

Cubase offers a lot of functionality to develop a hassle-free workflow. Some things are not obvious, so it's up to the user to check out what fits best to personal requirements.
Cubase 10 | WL 9.5 | Fireface UFX | UAD2 Octo (2x)/Quad PCI-e | Win10 Pro 64 | i7-7820 x | Asus Prime X299-A
http://www.secretsource.de
Authentic Drums - Sample Pack for Slate Trigger: https://www.authentic-audio.de/drum-sa ... e-trigger/

nicoroy123

Post by nicoroy123 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 am

Hi totally understand the OP point!
These automation lines should not appear directly by the side of the Group Channel track itself. It is too confusing visually.

Instrument and audio track don't have these lanes right by there sides.

So now the Project interface become cluttered with these Group channel lines that I don't even use.

If I need to see an automation line, I will simply add a sub track under the main track, exactly like I do with audio or instrument tracks.
-Cubase Pro 9.5.30
-CPU Intel i7-6850K
-MB Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming
-RAM 32GB
-SSD drives for all samples, apps and OS

jditmer0

Post by jditmer0 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 am

nicoroy123 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:01 am
If I need to see an automation line, I will simply add a sub track under the main track, exactly like I do with audio or instrument tracks.
Exactly!

Output channels and group channels are both showing the volume automation line next to the track when they shouldn't be. It's a design flaw.

Volume automation needs to operate just like it does for instrument and audio tracks and show directly below in it's own separate lane underneath. This would prevent accidentally changing the track volume levels and would clean up the work area substantially.

How do you submit a suggestion to Steinberg for a future update?
-john

Martin.Jirsak
Forum Elder

Post by Martin.Jirsak » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:24 am

jditmer0 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:16 am
How do you submit a suggestion to Steinberg for a future update?
You can post your idea to the Cubase 9.5 Feature Request thread.
Martin Jirsak
Cubase Training

macOS (last update)

Manike

Post by Manike » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm

if you lock the track the automation line disappears
8-Core Trashcan Mac Pro : Mojave : Cubase10.0.40 : MOTU828x : Nektar P6 :
Macbook pro : Mojave
http://www.manikemusic.com

ANeeman

Post by ANeeman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:13 am

Almost every type of tracks have a button "Lock" in Inspector in Left Zone. It locks the automation for gorup too. It prevents from automation modifications accidentally.
Cubase Pro 10.0.40, Win10, 3.40 GHz, 16GB.
Steinberg: HALion 6.3.0, HSO, Native Instruments: KOMPLETE 12 ULTIMATE Collectors Edition
Hardware: UR242, MG10XU, MG12XU, CS1x
Albums: Millectrinium (2018) | Nature. Water (2017) | Oracle (2017) | Two. Midnight Talks (2015)

davidmolina

Post by davidmolina » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:50 pm

ANeeman wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:13 am
Almost every type of tracks have a button "Lock" in Inspector in Left Zone. It locks the automation for gorup too. It prevents from automation modifications accidentally.

This is actually a great workaround. I have the same issue. Don't like having the automation line there but I don't want to hide the tracks. Locking the track still allows you to edit plugins, volume, pan, yet hiding automation line. Thanks for the tip.

cali316

Post by cali316 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:03 pm

Hey Manike, did this change with Cubase Pro 10? I recently switched from Logic and seeing these automation lines scattered throughout a large project is maddening. Thanks for the tip about locking the track, at least I'm not accidentally creating automation points - but still...

Is there still a way to hide these automation lines outside of hiding the tracks (which I def don't want to do)? Seeing these lines makes absolutely no sense, I'll do a key command if I want to view automation.

Thanks

cali316

Post by cali316 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:08 pm

So I just discovered - if there's no automation data and you lock the track, the lines disappear (yay), but if there is data and lock the track, lines stay BUT at least I won't be accidentally creating automation.

Thanks for the lock tip - I'll def submit a Feature Request for this one.

soundpeaks_net

Post by soundpeaks_net » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:31 pm

jconstantine wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:03 am
Change volume to mute automation track and you will never break it by accidental clicking.

Return to “General”