Homebase for Sonar users

So far Cubase can do all and more that Sonar did. Learning all the different terminology and work flow will take some time, of course. One thing I can’t find is how to reduce the track depth so I can see all of them on the screen. I’m sure it’s possible…what is the terminology? Sonar had a keyboard shortcut of “F” to enable this. Very useful.

CTRL+Up/Down arrow should increase/decrease track height. I say should because I remapped my keys ages ago and sometimes I can’t remember which ones are default and which ones I overwrote.

In the keycommands list are a bunch of zoom options for doing more global settings quickly. There are also a couple of height to data and height to name commands. And, you should look at Zoom Zap, it’s kind of a "zoom toggle thing that’s cool when you are doing fine edits.

Thanks JM…the command I’m looking for is one that decreases all the track heights so that they fit the screen. If there are 3 tracks, their height is reduced by just a little so they fit. If there are 10 tracks, their height is reduced by a lot so they fit. One command. It would seem that there is such a thing in keyboard shortcuts called “agents:show all channels/tracks” but it does nothing that I can see. Must be a command for the visibility panel.
Your solution takes too much time because you have to click on each track to get them all to fit. What I’m looking for is a “one key” solution. I’m surprised if Cubase doesn’t have it. More likely that I don’t know what to call it to look for it in keyboard shortcuts.

Okay JM…you pointed the way towards it. It’s called “Zoom tracks minimal”. Thanks.

Or hit the Z key twice.

I primarily work with 64 bit WAV files in Cubase and never had a problem exporting them for use in other programs like Sound Forge. It’s a standard non-proprietary file format. Maybe Sonar is not exporting them correctly?

Odd. I imported the same 64-bit file into Reaper and Studio One without issue.

EDIT: to be clear, I’m only referring to importing 64-bit wave files into Cubase. If somebody can confirm that Cubase indeed doesn’t work with 64-bit floating point wave files. Because I’m noticing in the export, unless I missed something, I see options for 32-bit float as the highest bit depth, not 64. (I think you might have been referring to wave-64 file, being proprietary to soundforge should open fine. But I’m referring to 64-bit float wave file format).

Loving my new Cubase Pro software! Some issues around Halion SE not being able to load VST3 Presets but I won’t be using that anyway.

I’ve already moved on from Sonar. Love the interface of Cubase, midi editing and the Control Room is a very cool and useful feature.

So I’m going to assume Cubase is just not capable of working with 64-bit audio files. As I mentioned, upon import of an identical file, one 32-bit version of it and one 64-bit, the 64-bit doesn’t load properly or playback. Also the option for 64-bit lacking in the export window as well clinches that this is not a bug most likely and just an inability. I’m still really enjoying Cubase. I think this capability one takes for granted because sonar had it for so long.

Out of curiosity, is there a particular reason why you need to use 64-bit audio files?

About over a month ago when I first started hearing about Cakewalk possibly shutting down, I prepared exports of all of my audio tracks within many Sonar sessions. I’ve always worked with 64-bit, 44.1 as my standard and so these files were exported as such. Of course I would have preferred not going through and converting each file to 32-bit but it seems that’s my last resort.

While using the 64bit mixing engine will give some advantages, there is really no benefits from writing to 64bit FP file format compared to 32bit FP.
32bit FP provides all the headroom you need in the file.

I don’t think the OP is asking if there is an advantage or not, he simply has a bunch of files in that format that he wants to import into Cubase.

Yup.

Also, I think some are confusing W64 format and 64bit files. Cubase does support Wave 64 file format. But doesn’t support 64bit audio files. At least I’m fairly sure that is the case. In any event Cubase can read/write W64 file format to support very large broadcast files.

Thanks. I believe I did try W64 earlier on as well with no success, but I’ll give it another go at some point, just for curiosity’s sake.

If all else fails, get the demo of wavelab and see if it will let you batch a conversion. Format conversion is the main reason I have Wavelab. And, it does support 64bit files. So, it should support your output.

After having issues with verification, Support has not responded in 3 days crossgrade price is advertised at 336.00 CAD but when attempting to check out the webstore is doing very strange things like adding multiple instances of the purchase and has increased the price to 423.00 CAD ??
Not Cool, Can someone from Steinburg offer a solution? I’m not feeling very good about switching to Cubase at the moment for both the lack of support /communication and the inconsistencies and glitches I’m experiencing on the webstore.

Thanks,

audacity will also import and batch export 64bit wav files as 32bit float .wav files which cubase can open.

Hello All,

I’m a Cakewalk Sonar refugee as well. I’m looking for a database of Cubase Patch Scripts (.txt files with patchname <-> MIDI mapping) and device setups (.xml files with more advanced user-defined GUI controls). I’ve seen many people say ‘Ask Google’. I’m feeling a bit dumb - I can’t find this big database. I found a few references to databases (e.g. 2005 article in Sound On Sound and forum.steinberg.net thread 33055), but so far all reference defunct links.

Is there a recent link to a good cache of patch scripts and/or device setups? In particular, I’m looking for Korg Kronos 1 and Yamaha Motif XS. Yes, they have a Patch Script for Yamaha Motif XS built-in, but it doesn’t have the key map entries for the drums and I cannot find device setups (*.xml) file for it either.

Thank you in advance,
gdaddis