Homebase for Sonar users

Post general topics related to Cubase Pro 9, Cubase Artist 9 and Cubase Elements 9 here.
SuperG

Re: Homebase for Sonar users

Post by SuperG » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 am

lawajava wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:09 am
Hi all,

Want to mention I'm having some pleasant success in moving my Sonar files into Cubase via OMF and MIDI exports from Sonar, and imports into Cubase. Everything is holding together in terms of events (clips) and timing. That's all I need to not feel like I'm losing creative data.
I'm having a successful time too. I'm really liking expression maps and the ability to explode polyphonic material into separate voices. The logical editor is easier to use than Sonar's cal scripts. These are features we could have only dreamed of in Sonar. Still, mouse actions are still taking time to adjust to.
Win 10 i7-6700, Cubase 9.5, Sonar Platinum, Motu 896 MKIII Hybrid, Motu Ultralite MKIII Hybrid

Amicus717

Post by Amicus717 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:38 pm

lawajava wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:09 am
Hi all,

Want to mention I'm having some pleasant success in moving my Sonar files into Cubase via OMF and MIDI exports from Sonar, and imports into Cubase. Everything is holding together in terms of events (clips) and timing. That's all I need to not feel like I'm losing creative data.
Same for me, also. And I'm really, really liking Cubase. Getting up to speed is taking way less time than I anticipated, and I'm beginning to feel quite comfortable with the software. This is a great program...

gdaddis

Post by gdaddis » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Hello All,

I'm looking for a database of Patch Name Scripts (*.txt files and equivalent to Sonar 'Instrument Definition' *.ins files) and Device Setup files (*.xml) for Cubase Pro. I found several links, but most are broken/out-of-date. Can anyone suggest a link?

Thank you in advance...

Amicus717

Post by Amicus717 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:00 am

Is it possible in Cubase to trim a midi clip by dragging the end of it. I can do that in Sonar, but I can't seem to do it in Cubase. When I grab the clip by the corner or edge, it moves the whole clip around. I only want shorten the actual clip itself without otherwise moving it.

I know I can highlight a section and delete it -- just figured that out tonight -- but I'm hoping for a non-destructive way to shorten a clip so I have the option to lengthen it again later, if needed.

Thanks.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 am

should just click drag on the bottom corner
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:04 am

Also, I believe it is alt+shift+left arrow to do that as well, and alt+left arrow to lengthen the front. Check the key commands for the other shortcut combos for changing/moving a MIDI part.
cpu:i7 6950x - RAM:128gb - OS:Win 10 - Interfaces:Lynx Aurora, Komplete Audio 6 - MIDI:Midisport 4x4, Quadra Thru
Steiny Suff: CMC:FD,CH,TP,QC,PD | Wavelab 9 | Cubase VST-32->9 | H5, GA4, HSO, Padshop Pro, Cubasis, iC Pro

Amicus717

Post by Amicus717 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:10 am

JMCecil wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 am
should just click drag on the bottom corner
That was the first thing I tried. It shorten's the clip by collapsing it at the other end, and the notes get pushed along with it.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:10 am

Another handy one is ctrl+alt will let you shift the midi events inside the part with the mouse pointer.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:12 am

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 am

oh, on the selector tool make sure it is set to normal sizing. You probably have it set to "moves" or "time"

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:15 am

Amicus717

Post by Amicus717 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:16 am

JMCecil wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:13 am
oh, on the selector tool make sure it is set to normal sizing. You probably have it set to "moves" or "time"
That was it! Thank you very much :) I had it set to "sizing moves contents". Didn't even notice that I had done that.

Much appreciate the help. And I must say, I am really liking this software...

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 am

getting the hang of the various sizing/trimming/moving commands can be fun. But, it makes all the difference. Learning to quickly turn snap on/off and rotate through the various states of the mouse tools becomes second nature. I actually prefer this method to the smart mouse method. I just wish we had more customizable key accelerator combination options for each tool.

Amicus717

Post by Amicus717 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 am

Yeah, I was very mixed on the smart mouse approach to things. It had it's merits, especially when I was starting out and still figuring out what workflow worked best for me, but as my working style evolved and settled into patterns that suited me, I began to want to have more direct control over what my mouse pointer was doing or would do.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:28 am

Amicus717 wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 am
I began to want to have more direct control over what my mouse pointer was doing or would do.
quoted for truth ... this is it exactly. Smart pointers are great for beginners. They are annoying when you know what you are trying to do.

Makzimia

Post by Makzimia » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 pm

Hi all, coming out of lurking mode. One thing that has me a little confounded. Why is the audio saving in a untitled folder instead of a folder by the name of the saved song, seems a silly system that could be easily fixed for a MAJOR QOL fix?.

Thanks,

Tony

Edit: Solved thanks to Greg Ondo :).
Last edited by Makzimia on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
To see the world as a grain of sand, is to understand our insignificance. Do something spectacular, and shine!.

Blacklab

Post by Blacklab » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:59 pm

CUT TIME command
There is a command in Sonar that lets you delete the space you've just created upon deleting an "event" or "clip" as Sonar calls it, and slides the remaining audio to the left. It looks like that's the "Cut time" command in Cubase. However, the key command "Cut time" doesn't appear to do anything. Ideas? It would be good not to have to select the range that the time is in. In Sonar, you hit "D" for delete and a box comes up allowing you to select delete space or not.
Thanks.
Windows7, RME Hammerfall, Cubase 9.5 and up, Finale, UA-2 Duo, Composer Cloud, SoundForgePro, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Mason and Hamlin CC-94 Concert Grand, Kurzweil PC3K8, MUSE Receptor VIP. Favorite hardware: UA 2-610 Tube Preamplifier, Grace 101 Preamplifiers.

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:16 am

Cut time requires a range selection

Jeff Irok

Post by Jeff Irok » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 am

Hi - Sad Sonar Platinum user here looking to take advantage of the Cubase Pro crossgrade being offered. I've gotten to the page where I am to submit my proof of ownership, but Sonar isn't one of the options in the drop-down. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

- Jeff
Sonar Platinum Refugee; now proud user of Cubase Pro. Windows 10, E7 3.2ghz quad core, Tascam US 2x2 audio interface.

Blacklab

Post by Blacklab » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:13 am

Too bad. That's 2 extra clicks and a bit of time in the middle. It would save quite a bit of time in editing a long section with a lot of dialog cuts if there were one-click like in Sonar.
Also, I've been editing today using the "Backspace" to cut an event and the "Shift/Backspace" to cut time, when suddenly "Shift/Backspace" quit doing what it's supposed to do.
Windows7, RME Hammerfall, Cubase 9.5 and up, Finale, UA-2 Duo, Composer Cloud, SoundForgePro, Yamaha S6 Concert Grand, Mason and Hamlin CC-94 Concert Grand, Kurzweil PC3K8, MUSE Receptor VIP. Favorite hardware: UA 2-610 Tube Preamplifier, Grace 101 Preamplifiers.

-steve-
External Moderator

Post by -steve- » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 am

A range selection isn't needed, those commands will work on the current locator cycle. So hit P, (locators to selection) then shift-backspace.
Cubase Pro, Nuendo, and Dorico Pro; latest versions available.
Windows Pro 10 | i7-3770k | GA-77x-UD5h | 32 Gb | UR-RT2 | MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid
Macbook Pro 2011 | Mac OS 10.11

JMCecil
Grand Senior Member

Post by JMCecil » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:14 am

-steve- wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:44 am
A range selection isn't needed, those commands will work on the current locator cycle. So hit P, (locators to selection) then shift-backspace.
True, but that only works for the entire timeline right? Not just the selected track?

Ed Doll
Site Admin

Post by Ed Doll » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 am

Jeff Irok wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:18 am
Hi - Sad Sonar Platinum user here looking to take advantage of the Cubase Pro crossgrade being offered. I've gotten to the page where I am to submit my proof of ownership, but Sonar isn't one of the options in the drop-down. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

- Jeff
Hi Jeff and welcome!
Just select the Cubase Pro 9.5 crossgrade to choose where to crossgrade to.
Ed Doll, Support Manager
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH
Hamburg, Germany

Connect with Steinberg on Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and SoundCloud!

Jeff Irok

Post by Jeff Irok » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm

Ed Doll wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:22 am
Hi Jeff and welcome!
Just select the Cubase Pro 9.5 crossgrade to choose where to crossgrade to.
Hi Ed - Thanks for the welcome and the help! Yeah, I see I misread it. Well, here I go to take the plunge!
Sonar Platinum Refugee; now proud user of Cubase Pro. Windows 10, E7 3.2ghz quad core, Tascam US 2x2 audio interface.

Jeff Irok

Post by Jeff Irok » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:25 pm

Sorry for another post folks! I'm sure this answer's been given before, but although I searched, I couldn't find an answer that exactly fit my question.

So, I completed my crossgrade purchase (yayy!) and the order includes a USB eLicense. Now, I don't have any other kind of eLicenser (like other posters I found did), so I certainly need it. Since it's my understanding that I need the physical dongle for the Pro version, am I correct in assuming that it's being shipped to me? The order confirmation email and other things I read aren't clear about that. In the order confirmation email, the product is referred to as "Win/Mac #407744 Box" (versus the crossgrade is referred to as "download"), implying that it's the physical item, but I was never given any information about, or charged, shipping costs.

Although I can download the software - I successfully installed the download assistant - since I don't think I can activate the software until I have the physical eLicenser, I'd rather hold off until it comes.

I apologize if I'm sound confusing...Thanks for your help!

Return to “General”