Homebase for Sonar users

Cut time requires a range selection

Hi - Sad Sonar Platinum user here looking to take advantage of the Cubase Pro crossgrade being offered. I’ve gotten to the page where I am to submit my proof of ownership, but Sonar isn’t one of the options in the drop-down. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

• Jeff

Too bad. That’s 2 extra clicks and a bit of time in the middle. It would save quite a bit of time in editing a long section with a lot of dialog cuts if there were one-click like in Sonar.
Also, I’ve been editing today using the “Backspace” to cut an event and the “Shift/Backspace” to cut time, when suddenly “Shift/Backspace” quit doing what it’s supposed to do.

A range selection isn’t needed, those commands will work on the current locator cycle. So hit P, (locators to selection) then shift-backspace.

True, but that only works for the entire timeline right? Not just the selected track?

Hi Jeff and welcome!
Just select the Cubase Pro 9.5 crossgrade to choose where to crossgrade to.

Hi Ed - Thanks for the welcome and the help! Yeah, I see I misread it. Well, here I go to take the plunge!

Sorry for another post folks! I’m sure this answer’s been given before, but although I searched, I couldn’t find an answer that exactly fit my question.

So, I completed my crossgrade purchase (yayy!) and the order includes a USB eLicense. Now, I don’t have any other kind of eLicenser (like other posters I found did), so I certainly need it. Since it’s my understanding that I need the physical dongle for the Pro version, am I correct in assuming that it’s being shipped to me? The order confirmation email and other things I read aren’t clear about that. In the order confirmation email, the product is referred to as “Win/Mac #407744 Box” (versus the crossgrade is referred to as “download”), implying that it’s the physical item, but I was never given any information about, or charged, shipping costs.

Although I can download the software - I successfully installed the download assistant - since I don’t think I can activate the software until I have the physical eLicenser, I’d rather hold off until it comes.

I apologize if I’m sound confusing…Thanks for your help!

Thanks to Ed Doll and all the Grand Senior Members for patience and help!
One navigator method I’ve seen before but can’t find now is the ability to place the locator using something other than the pointer (I think) by clicking on the locator line/cursor bar and moving it around…rather than having to go up to the ruler bar.

I think you’ll be glad you did. I found moving from Sonar to Cubase to be a lot easier than I expected. There’s still a learning curve, of course, but it has been fun making my way around it.

Hi Jeff, thanks for the purchase!
If you ordered the box, it will be shipped to you including the USB-eLicenser needed to start Cubase Pro 9.5. You can already download and install Cubase Pro 9.5 using the Steinberg Download Assistant - the USB-eLicenser and the license is only needed while using Cubase.

Thanks again Ed! I just got an e-mail from Steinberg, literally minutes ago, confirming that the eLicenser is coming via UPS. So everything’s in place!

Looking forward to this. Years (and years) ago when I was looking at getting a DAW, the choice for me was between Cakewalk (then Pro Audio) and Cubase. I went with Pro Audio because I got a better deal on it. But I knew that if I ever had to migrate off, it would be to Cubase. I know there are other good DAWs out there, but Steinberg has been a trail blazer since the nineties (maybe even the eighties), and I want to be at the forefront, not lagging behind!

I’ve made the plunge too and am currently being evaluated. :blush:

The one thing I didn’t check after ordering was support for 32-bit VST plugins, which doesn’t seem to be there. I have an Ensoniq SQ80 emulation that is quite good and that I would like to use sometimes.

Hello, I’m another long time Cakewalk user who has just moved to Cubase. So far, I’m really enjoying the Cubase experience, and love the fact that I can create a similar workflow that I became so used to in Sonar Platinum.

My question is regarding one workflow feature that I really miss from Sonar . . . being able to edit and map BFD3 drums in the Staff View.
I’ve found the button where you can easily create a BFD3 drum map, very cool . . . but Cubase has a full on “score editor” so the drum notes all appear many octaves below the staff lines (C0, D1, F1 etc . . .)

I’ve found where you can customize the score editor to create different note head and stem displays, but I can’t find a way to display the drum notes octaves higher, so they actually appear on the staff lines. (No, I can’t relate to the percussion view) In Sonar, you could create a staff layout that did this. Is there a way to visually display and customize the score editor to accommodate this . . . without having to transpose all the drum notes, and having to re-program the drum map ?

Just thought I’d make a comment aimed at anyone hesitant to use the eLicenser. I have had the eLicenser since 2004 (Eiosis AirEQ required it IIRC), and compared to the iLok which caused me a great deal of grief for quite a while, I have never had a single problem with the eLicenser. I can’t say if everyone has had the same positive experience with it, but I’ll vouch for it based on my experience and I’m not the biggest fan of dongles.

Hello everyone! I’m a new convert from Sonar Platinum. Just thought I’d check in and say “Hi!”, while taking a break from doing Cubase tutorials on Groove3. I’m trying to power through them quickly and get up to speed on Cubase so I can get back to making some music.

Any additional advice from other recent SPLAT converts on making the transition easier or quicker?

Many thanks!

Getting around audio tracks is fairly straightforward. Midi has some powerful features that take some time to digest though, such as expression maps, note expression, and polyphonic voicing. They make sense after awhile and turn out to be invaluable. I have yet to dive into the chord track and arranger.

I have no other advice than to remember that Cubase can do all that SPLAT can do, and more. Although the manual isn’t perfect, it does cover every topic, so it’s worth the 5 minutes to dig into it every time you can’t find the solution to a specific question. The different vocabulary will grow on you. And another thing: don’t forget to experiment with the neat extra’s Sonar never had, like Chord Pads. I find that functionality exhilirating!

I’ve heard about that feature before and am quite excited to get to try it out finally.

I mostly agree, the one big disappointment so far for me is that Cubase doesn’t support ARA. (Granted that was a relatively new feature in SPLAT too).

Cubase has the built in pitch corrector, so no need to go to Melodyne all the time, but if you use Vocalign it’s an order of magnitude easier to use in SPLAT or S1 than Cubase. (See my post here: Steinberg Forums )

Still, Cubase is hands-down the best alternative I’ve tried, of course YMMV.