Behringer X Touch Controller

Here’s a downside:

i haven’t used it too much, but when i did, this is what happened:

Imagine you use a motorized fader to record some automation. You then play back and the fader moves on it’s own according to that written automation.

Ok, you want to tweak the automation, so you grab the fader as it’s moving in “takeover” mode and move it some more. Now, at that point Cubase ignores (deletes) the written automation and starts writing your new automation as you move the fader.

BUT: the problem is that the new automation doesn’t start smoothly at the level where the old automation stopped and the new write began. There’s a jump in automation, like the fader isn’t calibrated properly, so, for example if the fader is 35mm up from the bottom it’ll write a value of 60, but next time it’s in the same position it writes 70. So you get these jumps in the automation.
Sure you can go into Cubase and manually smooth it after the fact, but that kinda sucks as this thing is supposed to be improving workflow.

It could be that i’ve got a dud or there’s some way to calibrate it, but here’s the other good news:

THERE’s NO MANUAL!!!

Really! I emailed Behringer about it and they said tuff luck, that’s the way it is.

The X-Touch is cheap, and i fear that it promises just a little too much for what is actually realistic at that price point (but no manual??)