Project can not be saved - the project is corrupt

OK, I don’t know if this will apply to everyone but here’s how I solved my problem.

I had a decent sized project - 2464 files - 141 GB - spread across 2 hours of time and 253 tracks. We saved it and backed it up in 8.1 with no problems. It then got opened in 8.2. Again, seemingly with no problems. Went to save it and that’s when we received the error that the project was corrupt and a new version could not be saved.

I deleted every track in the project and STILL got the error. But I didn’t empty out the pool. That meant the problem was a file that the pool was trying to reference.

I reloaded the project and started deleting tracks and removing the respective files from the pool and saving after each one. Finally found the offending track/files.

It was some files that I had done some Direct Offline Processing on. I checked to see what the process was in the DOP window and it said “not available.” I believe, if I remember correctly, that the process was time stretching. Somehow DOP had lost track of what had been used, but did know that something HAD been used.

The project would load just fine. The files would even play back correctly. They had a correct waveform in the project and they reported as fine in the pool. They had the icon that shows they were processed.

But when I went to save it would show as corrupt. I bounced the files so as to make new ones that no longer had DOP, cleared the pool of the now-unused offending files, and everything saved correctly.

So there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the files themselves in my case, but that the DOP had lost track of the process that was used in the previous save. That doesn’t seem to rise to the level of a “corrupted project” IMHO, but N8.2 just seems to have been flabbergasted.

I don’t know if the 8.2 update did something so that the process that had been used is now called something different and 8.2 couldn’t find what it was previously called, but boy wouldn’t it have been nice if Nuendo could have told me where the problem lay.

Thanks!

Darren “DOP” Ingram

1 Like