powered off UAD plugins don't process when powered on

UA told me the same thing.

Would be great to get some feedback from steinberg on this.

Am I right in thinking this happens if I load a project with UAD plugs switched off, or with them bypassed in Nuendo, but if i switch them in, save the project and re-open, they will be working? I’ll try this later, I generally just re-open the plugin.

I wonder why some UAD plugs do it and other UAD plugs don’t seem to?

I think ALL UAD plugins do it if powered off. Bypass is ok.

Nasty bug here

bump…

Have you filed this with UA yet?
If not, then it might be a good idea to do so - and tell them also that you can get a load more names of people with this problem too. I’ll look around, but I am sure I seem to remember it used to happen on a couple of other makers too, but they fixed their bugs where UA have not.

Neil,
Did you read through this thread? One other person including myself have been told by UA that the issue was not on their side. As I also said earlier, I have not experienced this issue with any other plugins.

Furthermore, having been using Nuendo since version 1.0 we (myself and several other users also in this thread) have been living with this issue since version 4.0.

There is no question this is an issue given other people’s reports. Given the nature of the issue, unless I find another plugin that also has the issue, I cannot proove for sure where the issue lies.

Rather the speculate, I’d like a response from Steinberg on the issue.

I have never had this issue ever before with other plugins besides UAD. Yeah, I know this seems to point to universal audio, but they told me the problem is with Cubase and Nuendo.

This kind of reminds me of the broken PDC that was presumed to be localized solely UAudio plugins, but as it turns out it was not, coming at the expense of the user base’s time to find plugins outside of UAD plugs that broke the PDC.

It would be nice if Steinberg could take a peek at this. I do believe the OP should re-post the 1st post in this thread with a repro of the issue so we can conform to Steinberg’s bug reporting standard.

Here some repro steps I created back in 2009…

Nuendo 4.3, UAD 5.5, 3xQuads, OSX 10.5.8

I have scene the following behavior several times over the past couple of years using UAD plugins. Essentially I am occasionally seeing plugins that were saved in the OFF state (no DSP processing) not processing audio after session is loaded and plug in powered on.

1. add a bunch of UAD plugs to tracks in Nuendo
  2. turn them off, no DSP running
  3. save the session
  4. close/reopen Nuendo
  5. load same session
  6. enable said UAD plugins
  • plugins will pass DRY unprocessed audio

Work around:
Drag the plugin to a new insert on a different track or toggle mono / stereo menu on plugin header.

I retried these same steps in Nuendo 5.1.1 on OSX 10.6.8 just now and was not able to repro, however I often experience this issue at least once or twice a day while working.

That said, these aren’t exact repro that always produce the issue, but as we all know that doesn’t mean a bug doesn’t exist. I’m happy to see others are too experiencing this too. I will gladly post exact repro if I am able to discover them.

Thanks much!

Just had this happen to me.

Attached is a session file (sans audio files).

• open the session and the very last FX track called “distortion” has three UAD plugins on it
  • power on the three UAD plugins
  • they do not process audio (at least for me)

Please let me know if anyone can repro with my session file, thanks!
Catch me - mix - 15 - new day.npr.zip (181 KB)

Is the rumor true? This issue has been in the database for years?

This *.npr crashed Nuendo (64bit/PC) completely, and the UAD showed that there is not enough CPU power to load the plugins properly.

What hell of a system do you have ??? I already own two UAD2 Quads, but this seems to be not enough :open_mouth:

Matthias, Your comment does not relate at all to this thread.

I cannot repro the issues you described, both bypassing or powered-off states are saved correctly and if changed after re-opening a project, everything works as expected.

So I wanted to load your npr to have a look at it, sorry for my attempt to help.

Oh sorry Matthias! I totally misunderstood your post, now i understand, my bad :smiley:

Yes I had three QUADS, thats why you can’t load the whole session.

This issue is well known on this forum and others and plenty have experienced it. It is also rumored that this issue has been reproduced with non-UAD plugins.

No problem. From what I can see it doesn’t happen on PC.

Btw., all UA plugins have a power-off button that keeps the PDC active, so no audio gaps are created. Isn’t it favourable to use this button instead of the Nuendo power button ?

Not if you want to conserve DSP.

It does, Matthias. It’s happened to me with the P-LIM for starters.
It’s very hard to do a 100% repro though, but it has definitely bitten me in the rear.

Me too…
Awkward, but truly annoying on larger projects…
It is really tough to repro for some unknown reasons, as you say, but yes,… it happens on PC, too.

Big K