Multitrack Free Warp [Achieved]

Freeze and unfreeze. And memorize the tracks set for freezing, so when we unfreeze and freeze again no need to select them all.
    Keep the frozen tracks synchronized when editing the timeline of the project (inserting or deleting bars)

I know this video, but it is useless when 1 or 2 of the multiple tracks aren’t on point and you want to warp them separately BUT COMPARE with each other to align them.

Primarily for multiple microphones on a drum kit especially, or on a guitar amp. Without being able to keep these aligned you are in a world of phase-related trouble.

+1
Seriously guys @Steinberg, an uptade should come with bells and whistles but also focus on the small things that make a big difference. This is one of them.

Okay. I agree with U.
Itz sad dat there’s no way of doing dat. Either with group-links or folders, etc…

The greatest feature would b a combination of dis and what I described above 2 do individual warping in the Arranger-window so U can compare/align off-beat audio with each other or @ da same time. We hav multiple audio quantize but it doesn’t work 4 individual problems especially vocals.

STEINBERG PLEASE!!!

It’s a pity that Steinberg is not noticing the importance of this feature…
For this feature in recording it could be really worth to switch the DAW.

Here are 2 Workaround that I found

1. A workaround in Cubase:
  1. and with Cubase and Audacity:

The first workaround could be realized (in principle and in background) in Cubase from Steinberg…

+1

+1 Been waiting for this function for a long time!

+1

switched from mac and logic to win and cubase pro, and found myself in disbelief that phase locked multitrack editing features are still basically limited to raw edits and fades in cubase pro, even though cubase accommodates elastique pro algorithms. phase locked multitrack edit workflows combining raw edits/fades and time warping/stretching are, and have been for a long time, available in major daws, and are practically mandatory for contemporary pop/rock/metal production. as a workaround im doing the drum editing in reaper for now. i just find this hard to accept as cubase is packed with tons of other very modern music production features.

whats even harder to understand is that cubase is able to phase coherently warp stereo or surround files, but if these channels are split onto different tracks cubase then loses phase coherency. in fact, for example if you mux 12 channel drum recording into a single interleaved 12 channel audio file (with ffmpeg or audacity or something similar), then import it onto a single track in cubase, you are able to crudely free warp the 12 channels (tracks) with phase coherency. from a technical perspective there shouldnt be too much, if any, difference between warping multiple tracks vs. multiple channels. other than the ability to choose reference points (hitpoints) from multiple tracks, which is already possible in cubase with the slicing workflow.

whats needed is basically combination of raw editing (slicing) and warping in a single workflow. transient (hitpoint) analysis is already there. edit point offset is already there. warping algorithms are already there. in addition to slicing offset whats needed is ‘safe zone’ adjustment or ‘hitpoint duration’ or whatever, during which warping isnt used to preserve the transient and to prevent preringing/echoing (eg 0-1000 ms after the detected hitpoint), and the remainder of the slice is then warped with elastique until the next hitpoint based on the hitpoints priority to maintain phase coherency between multiple tracks. this might be just wishful thinking, as this seems to have been discussed and requested for at least 6 years. also creating midi notes linked to hitpoints would be awesome. :laughing:

I can only agree that it seems not only odd that Cubase doesn’t have it, but even more odd that Steinberg don’t feel able to acknowledge us wanting it, or offer a response, even if that response is ‘not going to do it’. I don’t understand why we can’t get a response.

Hi The Elf!

I don’t understand either, but also I am not surprised in the least - that seems to fit Steinberg’s M.O. almost completely.

Let’s hope when (if?) they get around to fixing that they:

1. don’t mess up/break two or three other things that work perfectly well ATM, and
  2. they release it in a fashion that’s actually usable, at least within the first two or three release attempts

Despite their track record on trying to get those two things right … I Can Dream, Can't I? (1950) - The Andrews Sisters - YouTube

(Dang, and a live performance at that!)

The way I see it they should implement a multitrack (folder sync) edit of snap-to-hitpoints right on the Arranger. Much, much simpler, and as technique goes I find producers should use the sniping tools before resorting to warping, due to negative effects of warping in general.

This is what I want.
Set quantize type to ; snap to hitpoints
Enable scissors or grab audio part start/end
quickly work my audio clips.

This would be amazing for 90% of all my editing. Warping comes after that.

Anyone, anyone

@beerbong
The algorithms for time stretching are already sufficient good. For small corrections time stretching is a quick and clean way to correct multi mic recordings. Surely, drums are probably better sliced, but for multi mic recording of instruments (or even perhaps vocals), slicing is not the preferred way…

I am waiting for V10… if V10 will not have this feature I will switch to S1 completely, because I use it already for multi mic recordings and imported the tracks back to Cubase, but this work process is a pain in the ass…

+1

+1

if it’s a question of money, we pay!

+1000

+1

Dear cubase programmers,

I use your marvelous software everyday since 15 years but…something very important for music recording studio is missing :
Every day I also have to use logic pro from apple because I have to admit it they have a very nice multitrack edit tool wich works very well on Rock/Metal drums tracks. You can’t hear the time stretch modifications.

Please for Cubase 10, implement this crucial feature for me and for every music producers in the world <3

Best regards,
A fan of your sequencer.